Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.21
4 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.92
18 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 03-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Got it working then?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #42
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Got it working then?
Not near my projector now. Gotta finish off some mundane duties first
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #43
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Thanks for your efforts putting this thread of 3D screenshots together UFAlien. Great stuff.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

And as a natural follow-up, here's a selection of shots from Steven Quale's Final Destination 5. One of the better entries in the series, it has what I (and many others) find to be a more proper balance of black humor with genuine suspense. Unlike the previous film, to fully enjoy this one you should have at least seen the first movie in the franchise, though it's not totally necessary.

Director Steven Quale is a longtime James Cameron collaborator, including second-unit director and visual effects supervisor on Avatar, and cinematographer Brian Pearson was fresh off My Bloody Valentine and Drive Angry - so it's no surprise the native 3D is of very high quality. Depth and pop-outs abound and issues with alignment are present but negligible.

PLEASE NOTE - SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM ENTIRE FILM AND LATER ONES MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS! I've done by best to avoid anything that gives too much away. But let's be honest, if you've seen any of these movies you pretty much know how things turn out.

Also note since these are compressed JPGs they are not indicative of video quality; they're meant to offer samples of the 3D effect.

Stereographer: David Taylor
Shot in native 3D on the Arri Alexa with a stereo rig

[Show spoiler]

OVER-UNDER HALF-RES - FOR 3DTVs & PROJECTORS
Click Here to Download ZIP

SIDE-BY-SIDE FULL RESOLUTION

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-30-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (06-07-2016), juanbauty@yahoo.es (03-02-2017)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 AM   #45
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

FD5 looks good for the 3D. Medium, high medium 3D from those shots. Thanks.
The Final Destination 3D (starts with the stock car race) has some solid 3D also, with high medium to strong 3D much of the way.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 AM   #46
Special Member

Jan 2015

Does the red and blue 3d glasses work for these movies?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:59 AM   #47
Special Member

Dec 2013

Quote:
Since he's about to be re-rebooted in Captain America: Civil War, here are 20 shots from the 3D Blu of the webhead's last do-over, Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man. There are a couple of cool pop-outs, but for the most part, the production has a (deserved) reputation for being fairly shallow.

PLEASE NOTE - SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM ENTIRE FILM AND LATER ONES MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS! I've done by best to avoid anything that gives too much away.

Also note since these are compressed JPGs they are not indicative of video quality; they're meant to offer samples of the 3D effect.

Stereographer: Eric Deren
Shot primarily in native 3D with additional conversion by Legend 3D, Gener8 & Reliance Mediaworks

SIDE-BY-SIDE
[Show spoiler]

RED/CYAN ANAGLYPH
[Show spoiler]

OVER-UNDER HALF-RESOLUTION FOR 3D TVs AND PROJECTORS
Right-Click and Save As
i agree, the pop out shots look cool, they were intended for 3d, i just wished they increased the depth in the movie but the pop out shots do make up for it.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Stupid question:
Are 3D blurays regular 1080p? I ask because every time I play a 3D movie, despite of pop-ups or depth, the picture looks 5 times better than watching the same movie in bluray. Now, I am not referring to the 3D effects themselves, but the overall resolution, almost like a UHD quality
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

It's two 1080p images (technically one full one, and one specially-encoded partial stream with only the occlusion/differences between eyes). On an active setup like your projector, they're displayed in quick sequence one right after the other, so you're only ever seeing a 1080p picture, but some people theorize since your brain combines the images to see the depth, it might also combine details from both to make it look sharper.

Though this probably wouldn't work for conversions where, instead of two completely original images, it's essentially the same set of pixels shifted around (with new ones to fill in occluded areas), so there's no different/extra detail on the same objects between eye views.
Thanks given by:
ashedmaniac (06-04-2016), EVERRET (06-07-2016), RockyIII (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

^^^Very good observation. By the way I noticed that 3D titles on VuDu costs just the same as the 3D bluray discs...How is VuDu expecting to sell at $29.99 when we can pay the same or less for the disc format? You dont even get DTS H audio when you stream, so who can possible spend 30 bucks on 3D movies on VuDu?
Old 05-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #51
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
^^^Very good observation. By the way I noticed that 3D titles on VuDu costs just the same as the 3D bluray discs...How is VuDu expecting to sell at $29.99 when we can pay the same or less for the disc format? You dont even get DTS H audio when you stream, so who can possible spend 30 bucks on 3D movies on VuDu?
Plonkers?
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (05-28-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:52 AM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

For the first one in a while comes Drive Angry, the grindhouse action flick flop that proudly proclaimed on its posters that, not only was it in 3D, it was SHOT in 3D, as a rebuttal to the early wave of horribly-reviewed conversions like Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender.

Shot by the same director-cinematographer-stereographer team as 2009's My Bloody Valentine remake, it shares a lot of characteristics with the earlier film; varied levels of depth from shallow to quite strong with a lot of very nice, far-reaching pop-outs. Unfortunately it also retains the earlier feature's sporadic issues with mild to moderate misalignment and retinal rivalry. Sometimes one eye's view is also out of focus (see shots 18 and 20 for examples). Still overall a very fun ride in 3D.

SPECIAL NOTE - To make things easier for people who want to view these shots on their 3D TVs or projectors, I've included an attached ZIP file with all 20 shots in properly-squeezed, half-resolution format. To view them, open them in fullscreen on your source (TV picture viewer, computer or player connected to said TV or projector, etc.) and select the "over-under," "top-bottom," or "above-below" configuration for 3D display. The result should be a single, properly proportioned 3D image with a 1920x540 per eye resolution.

PLEASE NOTE - SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM ENTIRE FILM AND LATER ONES MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS! I've done by best to avoid anything that gives too much away.

Stereographer: Max Penner
Shot in native 3D on the Red One MX with a stereo rig

[Show spoiler]

OVER-UNDER HALF-RESOLUTION FOR 3DTVs AND PROJECTORS

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-30-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 AM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

My Bloody Valentine is my favorite of the two although I agree that their movie and 3D quality is very similar. I'd love to see more Pulp 3D features from Lussier. They aren't the most polished-looking 3D, but they aren't afraid to use (mostly) wide parallax and strong pop-outs. Fun films.
Thanks given by:
ashedmaniac (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

And while we're on the topic of over-the-top action flops, here's Pete Travis' Dredd. A fan favorite with a huge cult following, and also an absolutely massive box office bomb. Mostly shot in native 3D, it has a wide range of depth from "virtually none" to "yeah, pretty deepish." Typical native shooting artifacts like minor misalignment and retinal rivalry are present, though more distracting, IMO, is the very noisy image as a result of the low-light shooting. There are also 84 converted shots done by Prime Focus, which are unfortunately pretty badly-done (see the close-up of Dredd's boot below for an example).

SPECIAL NOTE - To make things easier for people who want to view these shots on their 3D TVs or projectors, I've included an attached ZIP file with all 20 shots in properly-squeezed, half-resolution format. To view them, open them in fullscreen on your source (TV picture viewer, computer or player connected to said TV or projector, etc.) and select the "over-under," "top-bottom," or "above-below" configuration for 3D display. The result should be a single, properly proportioned 3D image with a 1920x540 per eye resolution.

Stereographer: Vincent E. Toto
Shot primarily in native 3D on the Red One MX and Phantom Flex with a stereo rig
Additional conversion by Prime Focus

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-30-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Maybe slightly off topic, but any of you ever experienced 3D on a OLED display (passive 3D, of course)?
A friend of mine has LG OLED 3D and UHD display and he tells me that 3D on his OLED unit looks glorious, making even HDR look irrelevant
Old 06-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Definitely a topic for its own thread. But no, I haven't.
Thanks given by:
RockyIII (06-05-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

One of the few films in the brief fad of converting classics to 3D, Jurassic Park is a really good example. Stereo D did some excellent work on Spielberg's iconic blockbuster, creating a typically very deep presentation with a few pop-outs to boot. Conversion errors are present but mostly negligible. A must-own unless you hate the film.

Stereographer: None except for post-production
Shot in 2D on standard 35mm film (and VistaVision for some effects)
3D conversion by Stereo D

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-30-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Floppity flop flop flop. That might as well be the soundtrack to Alex Proyas' Gods of Egypt, a massive box office bomb everyone saw coming that made just under $145 million worldwide against a $140 million production budget and undisclosed marketing costs. There's racial controversy, an online meltdown from the director in response to bad reviews, and just a whole lot of ugly stuff in general. The film, though, is certainly pretty - save for a surprising amount of substandard VFX.

Gods of Egypt is a conversion but the cinematography clearly seems to have been done with 3D in mind, and while things stay behind the screen most of the time - with a few notable pop-out exceptions and a fair bit of off-screen particle effects - the movie is generally pretty deep. Shaping, especially on human faces, is below-par in general, and there are some pretty obvious conversion errors (look at the left side of the swamp screenshot below), but the third dimension definitely adds to the experience.

Stereographer: None credited, though Daniel Ricwulf was "Stereo Production Coordinator"
Shot in 2D on the Red Epic
3D conversion by Legend 3D and Southbay Motion Picture Technologies

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-30-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #59
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Floppity flop flop flop. That might as well be the soundtrack to Alex Proyas' Gods of Egypt, a massive box office bomb everyone saw coming that made just under $145 million worldwide against a $140 million production budget and undisclosed marketing costs. There's racial controversy, an online meltdown from the director in response to bad reviews, and just a whole lot of ugly stuff in general. The film, though, is certainly pretty - save for a surprising amount of substandard VFX.

Gods of Egypt is a conversion but the cinematography clearly seems to have been done with 3D in mind, and while things stay behind the screen most of the time - with a few notable pop-out exceptions and a fair bit of off-screen particle effects - the movie is generally pretty deep. Shaping, especially on human faces, is below-par in general, and there are some pretty obvious conversion errors (look at the left side of the swamp screenshot below), but the third dimension definitely adds to the experience.

Stereographer: None credited, though Daniel Ricwulf was "Stereo Production Coordinator"
2D to 3D conversion by Legend 3D and Southbay Motion Picture Technologies

SIDE-BY-SIDE
[Show spoiler]

RED/CYAN ANAGLYPH
[Show spoiler]

Right-Click and Save As
Why would a movie of such outstanding cinematography flop? What factors played a role in the poor performance at the box office?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Well, there were no bankable stars (aside from debatably Gerard Butler as the villain), it was marketed heavily on director Alex Proyas' name even though he hadn't had a big hit in over a decade, the idea of a sci-fi infused ancient Egypt was a turnoff for a lot of people (much mockery was directed at Ra's boat being a spaceship of sorts, for example), there was a large controversy over most of the cast being white despite the setting, the critics' reviews were awful, audience response was below average at best... and frankly it's not a good film. An entertaining one, depending on your state of mind, but it definitely has the feel of an old B-movie given an enormous budget for no reason.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion