Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$55.61

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 04-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugnid View Post

I wouldn't read too much into a Polish release 8 months down the road. Need more confirmation then that.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

This is huge if Disney is jumping on UHD so soon. They really helps in sales. Especially with Star Wars and Marvel.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
This is huge if Disney is jumping on UHD so soon. They really helps in sales. Especially with Star Wars and Marvel.
It would be very huge, pretty much guaranteeing the success of the format. Think how many players it would sell. 'Frozen' in the full dynamic range on UHD BD would look sick. Hopefully it's true. If this could tie in with the PS4 getting a UHD BD update around the same time then it would be a massive boost.
Thanks given by:
ArmyOfDarknessAW (04-05-2016), gkolb (04-05-2016), K i r a (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
This is false. The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi's distribution rights go to Disney in 2020 completely but not A New Hope. So Disney would have to make a deal to either share sales with Fox or simply buy full distribution rights because the rights are never set to expire for that movie
I do hope that one day we will get to see the unaltered orignal trilogy but one can only dream
Old 04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #25
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames. View Post
Think how many players it would sell. 'Frozen' in the full dynamic range on UHD BD would look sick.
Don't tease!
Thanks given by:
bruceames (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightstar View Post
I do hope that one day we will get to see the unaltered orignal trilogy but one can only dream

Keep smoking that stuff and you'll go to jail, except in Colorado. You have to go all the way there to even talk about it, out loud.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
It would be very huge, pretty much guaranteeing the success of the format. Think how many players it would sell. 'Frozen' in the full dynamic range on UHD BD would look sick. Hopefully it's true. If this could tie in with the PS4 getting a UHD BD update around the same time then it would be a massive boost.
I'm not sure how Disney would guarantee the success of the format just by putting movies out on it. That still requires people to care about what the format offers enough to spend a lot of money, which is the challenge either way. The only way they could have such sway would be a big exclusive, which I doubt they see the point of.
Thanks given by:
Arch Stanton (04-06-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I'm not sure how Disney would guarantee the success of the format just by putting movies out on it.
"Dude, it's Star Wars."
Thanks given by:
bruceames (04-05-2016), gkolb (04-05-2016), JoeDeM (04-05-2016), K i r a (04-05-2016), MarekM (09-13-2016), Opips3 (04-06-2016), reanimator (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
I'm not sure how Disney would guarantee the success of the format just by putting movies out on it. That still requires people to care about what the format offers enough to spend a lot of money, which is the challenge either way. The only way they could have such sway would be a big exclusive, which I doubt they see the point of.
it may not be, but it's a step in the right direction. Now if only they could release the rest of the movies, and throw in the Marvel Universe for good measure, I would be very happy.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

I have noticed that people who haven't seen the format (maybe they have at a Best Buy but that doesn't count) are underestimating its appeal and potential, and are judging it primarily from a resolution standpoint. So I don't pay any mind to their negative uninformed opinions. I'm done with back and forths with these people.
Thanks given by:
JoeDeM (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
I have noticed that people who haven't seen the format (maybe they have at a Best Buy but that doesn't count) are underestimating its appeal and potential, and are judging it primarily from a resolution standpoint. So I don't pay any mind to their negative uninformed opinions. I'm done with back and forths with these people.
Blu-ray itself was hard enough to sell to the masses. Many people still don't see the advantages of Blu-ray over DVD. I don't respect those people, but they do exist. Obviously those people would never invest in UHD Blu-ray. But then there are still plenty of people that haven't upgraded to a 4K TV yet. I'm glad they haven't. The industry still can't figure out a true standard for it yet. You have HDR, Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, etc. How can anyone keep up even if they wanted to?

Anyways, I'm all for the format. I'm just saying it's not something that is easy to adopt or market. Disney probably won't join in.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #32
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
I love the format and want it to succeed, so please don't assume silly things. You and I just have very different expectations for how much most OTHER people give a crap about it. You're very enthusiastic and optimistic, I am not.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (04-06-2016), MattPerdue (04-06-2016), Plissken Fan (04-12-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
Blu-ray itself was hard enough to sell to the masses. Many people still don't see the advantages of Blu-ray over DVD. I don't respect those people, but they do exist. Obviously those people would never invest in UHD Blu-ray. But then there are still plenty of people that haven't upgraded to a 4K TV yet. I'm glad they haven't. The industry still can't figure out a true standard for it yet. You have HDR, Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.0, 2.0a, etc. How can anyone keep up even if they wanted to?

Anyways, I'm all for the format. I'm just saying it's not something that is easy to adopt or market. Disney probably won't join in.
Well it should make a difference this time as Blu-ray was a simple resolution upgrade and most people are still sitting 12 feet away from a 42" screen, so how can they appreciate it?

With UHD resolution is the least noticeable improvement and the others don't depend upon having large screens or sitting closer to appreciate them.

Regarding HDR standards I wouldn't get too worked up over it. HDR10 is required on all UHD BDs that have HDR. Dolby Vision could be there as well someday, but you won't get screwed buying an HDR TV today without Dolby Vision and later finding out you can't get HDR from new content because it only has Dolby Vision.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #34
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Well it should make a difference this time as Blu-ray was a simple resolution upgrade and most people are still sitting 12 feet away from a 42" screen, so how can they appreciate it?

With UHD resolution is the least noticeable improvement and the others don't depend upon having large screens or sitting closer to appreciate them.

Regarding HDR standards I wouldn't get too worked up over it. HDR10 is required on all UHD BDs that have HDR. Dolby Vision could be there as well someday, but you won't get screwed buying an HDR TV today without Dolby Vision and later finding out you can't get HDR from new content because it only has Dolby Vision.
It should make a difference but how many people who aren't already interested in UHD Blu-ray will be aware of HDR or 10-bit color? Those who aren't paying any attention to UHD Blu-ray because they think Blu-ray is good enough (or DVD is good enough) are unlikely to ever be aware of the advantages of the UHD Blu-ray. They will likely continue to think that UHD Blu-ray is just higher resolution (some don't even know what that means) and dismiss it without ever trying it.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
It should make a difference but how many people who aren't already interested in UHD Blu-ray will be aware of HDR or 10-bit color? Those who aren't paying any attention to UHD Blu-ray because they think Blu-ray is good enough (or DVD is good enough) are unlikely to ever be aware of the advantages of the UHD Blu-ray. They will likely continue to think that UHD Blu-ray is just higher resolution (some don't even know what that means) and dismiss it without ever trying it.
They may not know yet, but we are at the very beginning of the format, just like blu-ray it takes a while before people make the jump, it has to hit the right price point, even the naysayers will be swayed when the price hits that magic number, especially when some of their favorite movies start showing up.

some big tent pole titles:
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Marvel Universe (Iron Man, Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Xmen)
DC's Dark knight
Blade Runner
Back to the future
...etc

Back on topic

I hope that when Star Wars VII The Force Awakens, gets released that it will have the alternating aspect ratio.

Last edited by JoeDeM; 04-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
bruceames (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #36
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

The main problem is that DVD and even BD didn't have a lot of the challenges UHD has. Namely digital streaming as the new mainstream choice and a feeling the previous format was "good enough." Those are going to be hard things to fight IMO.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
The main problem is that DVD and even BD didn't have a lot of the challenges UHD has. Namely digital streaming as the new mainstream choice and a feeling the previous format was "good enough." Those are going to be hard things to fight IMO.
Yes, the glory days are behind physical.

Nobody is disputing that, but huge titles will still help it sell. Especially newer movies, which are basically all that sell in substantial numbers anyway. Star Wars is basically the king, or at least one of a few tent pole titles that can actually sell an entire format.

It isn't going to cause 10,000,000 people to go out and get UHD TV's and players, but it might cause a hundred thousand or even multiple hundred thousand to invest in hardware. Such a boost could be helpful to the format, as far as giving it some legs early on. Releasing the new film absolutely makes sense, then of course all future films, and in the future they will need to do the original trilogy in 4K/UHD.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

To be clear, my argument about UHD doing well, was within the spectrum of physical sell through, declining though it is. UHD has the potential to get a higher OD market share percentage, simply because its easier for consumers appreciate from normal viewing distances and display sizes, and because they are selling them as combo discs right from the start. So there will be far more future-proofing this time around. It will also help a great deal that the UV/DC is also UHD HDR. So for $5-10 more you are getting a UHD disc and a UHD code.

Clearly digital sell through will continue to grow during this time. Right now it is around 25% of all sell through. But since physical is clearly a better value (who wants to pay $30 for a UHD streaming movie?) and is much better quality, I expect physical to do reasonably well into the future.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #39
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I haven't desperately needed to get the Ep VII Blu anyway so now I'm definitely gonna hold fire with rumblings of a UHD version on the horizon. It'd be a nice stablemate for the 3D version that we know is coming and Disney can then score a triple dip from some people inside the space of a year!

Hopefully the 3D and possible UHD will share the embiggened IMAX scene, and if any other extras are produced then they can bosh it on a separate disc which they can include with both the 3D and 4K discs.
Thanks given by:
MarekM (09-13-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Hopefully the 3D and possible UHD will share the embiggened IMAX scene, and if any other extras are produced then they can bosh it on a separate disc which they can include with both the 3D and 4K discs.
Sounds great (which means they'll probably do something not as good).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists