Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: A Dog's Purpose $8.99 (89% claimed)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (4 hours left)
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (23% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
15 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 05-12-2016, 01:45 AM   #21
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Well, 12 bit Dolby Vision grading authoring software and hardware decoder chips (for players and displays) have JUST become available for UHD Blu-ray, and Dolby Atmos consumer re-mixing and theatrical soundtrack conversion is now easier than ever, so if Disney was waiting on the technical aspects in order for their hot animation and franchise properties to look and sound the best, they could easily start this holiday.
while the wait-and-see approach from Disney is admirable; it's still better than what Fox is doing by chucking titles onto UHD without their native Atmos mixes and double dipping already [*cough* 'The Martian'].
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #22

Oct 2009
Ohio

No new info about Marvel Studios/Disney releasing this on a 4K disc? IMAX scenes in it?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
No new info about Marvel Studios/Disney releasing this on a 4K disc? IMAX scenes in it?
No word on a UHD disc, but I doubt it. If they were going to do a simultaneous UHD release, they would have already announced it with the regular Blu-ray.

I'm thinking Disney Corp will announce UHD Blu-ray support at CES in January and dominate the show, if they ever do. They'll probably finally push Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos audio as premium features for their animated and tent pole franchise movies. They're big on that duo for their high end cinema releases.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 06-30-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #24

Oct 2009
Ohio

Are Disney/Marvel Studios apart of the UHD 4K Alliance? Are they anti physical media?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncanny View Post
Are Disney/Marvel Studios apart of the UHD 4K Alliance? Are they anti physical media?
They are, but since Disney owns a lot of hot properties at the moment, they can sit back and see how UHD sales unfold. They are the power player in the home video market.

Since the standards are still getting ironed out for HDR and HDMI, etc. and with Sony and Oppo being the last to market with players they can also use this time to pick what features they want for their UHD discs for their big debut, if they ever decide it's the right time to announce.

They could potentially start right off the bat with BD-100 discs, 12 bit Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos where some studios who jumped right when Samsung stated they were going to be first to market were stuck with HDR10, BD-66's, and without the authoring tools to put immersive mixes on their discs at the very start of the UHD Blu-ray launch (ie. Fox).

Disney was hesitant about Blu-ray from the beginning 10 years ago and it's no different with UHD Blu-ray. Though, with streaming becoming more of a competitor, it creates a chill in all the home video departments towards any new physical disc media.

Last edited by FilmFreakosaurus; 06-30-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #26
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

It's not like Disney haven't embraced streaming themselves though, they're not treating the streaming market like the boogeyman (ditto for Sony). They even switched their North American 3D releases to streaming vendors only because they were getting so pissed about people splitting up the 3D combo packs and selling them. That may also play a part in their deafening silence re: UHD Blu-ray because the same shit might keep on happening with that format, thus 'stealing' more sales from Uncle Walt's frozen head.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's not like Disney haven't embraced streaming themselves though, they're not treating the streaming market like the boogeyman. They even switched their North American 3D releases to streaming vendors only because they were getting so pissed about people splitting up the 3D combo packs and selling them. That may also play a part in their deafening silence re: UHD Blu-ray, because the same shit might keep on happening.
But, it looks like they're dipping their toes back into the 3D market with Zootopia and with the news that attach rates for UHD discs is actually higher than at the start of the Blu-ray format 10 years ago...

Maybe the sleeping giant mouse might make their move... at least in January.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #28
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

True, true, the mouse loves that cheddar and when you've got a movie that's broken a billion at the worldwide box office then it makes sense to try and maximise all home video revenues from all angles (though that certainly didn't apply to Frozen a few years back which was famously lacking a US 3D BD release).

I still reckon they're gonna get narked all over again if their (eventual) UHD combo packs start getting split up and sold off on a regular basis, though to be fair I haven't seen a lot of that happening with UHD so far - probably because people ARE actually buying them to watch them at this stage in the format's life!
Thanks given by:
Uncanny (08-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
They even switched their North American 3D releases to streaming vendors only because they were getting so pissed about people splitting up the 3D combo packs and selling them. That may also play a part in their deafening silence re: UHD Blu-ray because the same shit might keep on happening with that format, thus 'stealing' more sales from Uncle Walt's frozen head.
They could always...

[drumroll]

... sell the two formats (UHD and Blu-ray) separately.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #30
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
No word on a UHD disc, but I doubt it. If they were going to do a simultaneous UHD release, they would have already announced it with the regular Blu-ray.
Actually, that hasn't been how any studio has debuted their UHD lineups. Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Shout! Factory, Sony, Universal and WB all made their first UHD title announcements independently of any Blu-ray releases, even if the releases were only weeks apart.

I still say that Captain America: Civil War 4K will be a reality between now and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:46 PM   #31
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
They could always...

[drumroll]

... sell the two formats (UHD and Blu-ray) separately.
...which they tried with Oz The Great and Powerful on 3D Blu-ray, but the problem is that there's not enough room on the disc for the extras so the 3D disc was premium priced but without any supplements. People did not like this. The backlash meant that Disney couldn't see a way around the problem (sell it separately, people moan, sell it as a combo, mucho splittage on eBay), so they threw all their toys out of the pram and moved 3D to online only where they could be sure that a 3D purchase wouldn't cannibalise sales.

What's that got to do with UHD, I hear you ask? The lack of room for supplements, that's what. Studios aren't including the 2D BD for the sake of it, it's there to carry the video extras too. This may well become less of an issue as 100GB discs come online, but even now studios and labels aren't using 50GB Blu-rays if they don't have to, and the same will be true of 100GB UHDs.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

I prefer Blu-Ray 3D anyway so I personally I am not moaning the lack of Ultra HD version but Disney still is the worst studio for supporting new formats. They have regressed in many ways over the years

Video and Audio quality has improved so much over the last 15 years but extras sure haven't. Disney used to create awesome extras for their movies and now they release most of their live action catalogs entirely featureless club exclusives and big new movies get only a few short extras

Their denying 3D releases to big releases is maddening. Forcing me to import Big Hero 6 and Frozen and likely The Jungle Book will be another import for me from our friends in the UK

They have released nothing with object based sound even when plenty of disc space is there to include it

And now they are the only major studio that has nothing announced in Ultra HD Blu-Ray. What happened to you Disney you used to be cool
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #33
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Sure, that's the ironic thing about it: most of the extras nowadays are pish, and not just from Disney. But the same sort of outcry with Oz happened when Universal released Jurassic World as a barebones 3D disc in the UK, a lot of folks in the UK forums were pissed. Universal ended up sending the complainers a sealed retail copy of the 2D disc and another movie too, Despicable Me 2 if memory serves.

But Disney don't have to be cool when they've got three or four billion-dollar movie stables under one roof, they can be douchebags about the home video side of things and yet the money will still be delivered by the canyon-load.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (06-30-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #34

Feb 2016

Pre ordering the steelbook from best buy
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Just wondering with the rumors of Finding Dory possibly being Disney's first foray into UHD Blu-ray, if anyone thinks or had heard any rumors whether there's a chance maybe Disney also puts out Captain America: Civil War this Fall on UHD Blu-ray. I know the Captain America announcement on home video has already occurred with no mention of UHD Blu, but maybe if/when they jump into UHD they say "BTW, Captain America Civil War will also be one of the first titles along with Finding Dory." And maybe it's slightly behind the regular release, which would not be unprecedented thus far on UHD Blu-Ray.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #36

Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post
Just wondering with the rumors of Finding Dory possibly being Disney's first foray into UHD Blu-ray, if anyone thinks or had heard any rumors whether there's a chance maybe Disney also puts out Captain America: Civil War this Fall on UHD Blu-ray. I know the Captain America announcement on home video has already occurred with no mention of UHD Blu, but maybe if/when they jump into UHD they say "BTW, Captain America Civil War will also be one of the first titles along with Finding Dory." And maybe it's slightly behind the regular release, which would not be unprecedented thus far on UHD Blu-Ray.
That was confirmed fake tho. The PowerPoint was a school project.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1631 View Post
That was confirmed fake tho. The PowerPoint was a school project.

Actually...Bill Hunt said he had multiple other sources saying dory 4k too, and he didn't even know about the power slide website.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008

Yeah pretty much reaching here lol. I respect the wishful thinking though!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:14 PM   #39

Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Actually...Bill Hunt said he had multiple other sources saying dory 4k too, and he didn't even know about the power slide website.
Well color me embarrassed. That is one hell of a coincidence then. I hope it true though. Held off buying Force Awakens and Civil War until we get Disney on board UHD.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far

Finding Dory? That's all fine and dandy, but The Force Awakens should have been 4K UHD.
Thanks given by:
darkedgex (07-25-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists