Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.21

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.34
15 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Walking with Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.92

Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #21

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
It's really sad that 'The Industry' is trying to kill 3D in favor of UHD.

UHD is a format searching for purpose (few movies are 4K or even have 4K effects).
True, but they can all be mastered in HDR (+Rec 2020) right, and that's the main benefit of UHD isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
A quote from the latest UHD review of yet another 2K movie with the 3D stripped out:

"It's curious that Warner's initial wave of UHDs contains so many films released to both theaters and Blu-ray in 3D, because the 3D presentations routinely offer more visual stimulation, even with a film like HotS, which doesn't exploit the additional dimension as aggressively as, e.g., Point Break. The studio keeps forcing viewers to choose between the obvious "pop" of 3D and the subtler enhancements offered by UHD, and the trend continues with Warner's upcoming third wave of 4K titles, which includes Man of Steel and Batman v Superman, both of which offer a 3D alternative. The studio should broaden its UHD offerings with more 2D-only titles, and it needs some titles sourced from 4K masters, if it wants to demonstrate the benefits of the format. As for ItHotS, while the UHD improves on the Blu-ray presentation, the difference isn't sufficient to justify a double-dip."
Yes, but what the article doesn't do is compare the benefit of HDR vs 3D. What it does say about HDR is:

"HDR treatment of ItHotS doesn't noticeably alter the color scheme, as happened with Point Break on UHD, but it does offer a noticeable uptick in contrast and clarity."

Whether that "noticeable uptick" is a greater improvement over the, in this instance, retro-fitted 3D, is up for debate.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbonaut View Post
It has nothing to do with the glasses. I understand that 3D is suppose to be more realistic and immersive but to me it's just the opposite. It constantly reminds me that what I'm seeing is not real and takes me out of the film completely.
Fair enough. Do you think that's because you've spent all your life watching 2D and when you watch 3D it feels strange and unnatural? We've watched films in 24fps since 1927, which in theory, is a completely un-immersive way to watch film...yet, because that's all we've ever known, faster frame rates have the opposite effect and take us out of the movie.

Or is it because of the convergence/focus issue (http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jou...-case-closed)?
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #23

May 2016

I would prefer to be able to purchase 3D disks over HDR disks.If the movie was shown at the theater in 3D it should be offered on 3D blu-ray disk. I think 3D looks more realistic than HDR .The human eye can only see so much detail ,so unless you have a huge screen you aren't going to see that much of a difference in the detail viewing a movie in 4K. The human eye naturally sees everything in 3D!

Last edited by diskwatcher; 07-09-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (07-11-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskwatcher View Post
I would prefer to be able to purchase 3D disks over HDR disks.If the movie was shown at the theater in 3D it should be offered on 3D blu-ray disk. I think 3D looks more realistic than HDR .The human eye can only see so much detail ,so unless you have a huge screen you aren't going to see that much of a difference in the detail viewing a movie in 4K. The human eye naturally sees everything in 3D!

Human binocular vision is in 3-D, but not the same 3-D we see in film.

They are very different.
Thanks given by:
Rickyrockard (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #25

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
I would prefer to be able to purchase 3D disks over HDR disks.If the movie was shown at the theater in 3D it should be offered on 3D blu-ray disk.
But don't you feel like you're missing out all that lovely detail that was captured by the cinematographer with Rec. 709 and SDR?

What we want is both together really. It's a shame that we don't have the picture quality of HDR with 3D.

Quote:
I think 3D looks more realistic than HDR.
Really? But HDR is a closer representation of the colours and contrast that was captured on film right?

Last edited by Rickyrockard; 07-11-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #26

Sep 2014
California
USA 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrockard View Post
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/3...lew-it-with-3d

by Brendon Connelly

3D was supposed to be the next big thing for cinema. It accounts for just 20% of ticket sales
Just 20% ?

That seems high.... especially when less than 8% of the total movies were in 3D last year.

The last time it was that high was 2010 .....at 21%

Looks like another 3D resurgence.

The studios could have seen it coming though , Isn't every Disney movie in 3D this year.

January 29 - The Finest Hours
March 4 - Zootopia
April 15 - The Jungle Book
May 6 - Captain America: Civil War
May 27 - Alice Through the Looking Glass
June 17 - Finding Dory
July 1 - The BFG
August 12 - Pete's Dragon
November 4 - Doctor Strange
November 23 - Moana
December 16 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

3D seems to be a big thing for Disney..... especially for cinema.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #27
Special Member

Jul 2009

But then it's a crap shoot as to whether they'll put them out on disc.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #28

Sep 2014
California
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrockard View Post
What we want is both together really. It's a shame that we don't have the picture quality of HDR with 3D.
Yes !

I have a Lumagen video processor and a Darbee DVP-5000S processor to get that extra pop on my 4K TV , but it would be nice to not have to use them.

If your like me and never have too much info , Check this new video that was just posted about HDR calibration

Thanks given by:
Rickyrockard (07-11-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #29
Power Member

Dec 2015

I would agree that the premium for 3d showings was a very stupid idea in hindsight. They got blinded by greed and basically burned out most of the interest people had for the format.

I remember last year I went to a 3d xd showing of the force awakens the second week it was out with my dad and I was arguing its not worth 18 dollars a ticket (compared to like 9$ a ticket for a normal 2d showing) but that was the showing at that time so we went (limited free time to see the movie). When the movie actually started playing though we looked around and the theater had like 3 people to a row (with some rows being empty). they sold probably 1/50th the tickets they could have to be able to charge double the going rate. In that regard it was almost worth paying 18 bucks for a ticket because each ticket bought you basically an entire row.

Theaters want these obscene amounts for imax or 3d but the end result is massive numbers empty seats to make a few more dollars per person. The gross is lower and the person who went to that imax showing probably will go less . The thing is they ruined the market though even if they wanted to have no surcharge imax and 3d days everyone now associates them with a ripoff or a luxary item. The damage cant be undone to the formats.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (07-24-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
The thing is they ruined the market though even if they wanted to have no surcharge imax and 3d days everyone now associates them with a ripoff or a luxary item. The damage cant be undone to the formats.
If they suddenly lowered the price for 3D IMAX showings to $5, I'd go a heck of a lot more!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #31
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
If they suddenly lowered the price for 3D IMAX showings to $5, I'd go a heck of a lot more!
Amc does have some 3d 6$ shows but its nearly impossible to figure out when they are. Finding cheap 3d tickets equates to a scavenger hunt which defeats the whole purpose of the discount when people do not know its their.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Another problem is that there are a lot of people who just don't like 3D. I watched Avatar in 3D and was not impressed at all (watched it twice at different theaters). I've watched 4-5 movies in 3D over the past 10 years and I can say that I have no interest in the medium. It is not a theater or calibration issue to me and I know there are many others like me out there.
I don't care for romantic comedies. That doesn't mean they should stop making them. Everyone has different tastes.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #33
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
I don't care for romantic comedies.
So would you demand they have special showings of those with the romantic comedy elements removed?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Bruce Wayne lives in my attic

Quote:
Another problem is that there are a lot of people who just don't like 3D. I watched Avatar in 3D and was not impressed at all (watched it twice at different theaters). I've watched 4-5 movies in 3D over the past 10 years and I can say that I have no interest in the medium. It is not a theater or calibration issue to me and I know there are many others like me out there.
Avatar is one of the few movies that I felt did 3D right, even meaningless scenes had great depth to them.

There have been quite a few movies cited for great 3D that just didn't do it for me though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion