Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: A Dog's Purpose $8.99 (77% claimed)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (4 hours left)
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (17% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
14 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 08-25-2016, 01:36 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealorFake4K View Post
So, I see this popped up on the 'upcoming' page. Did anyone confirm a UHD disc release? Again, everything official I have seen only points to a 4K theatrical release and a blu-ray. No mention of 4K UHD disc or 4K streaming.

Did I miss something?

Did you click the links in post 1?
Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 AM   #22

Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA

Oh please god let this be true. Goodfellas and Heat same year!!!
Thanks given by:
reanimator (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #23

Mar 2016
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Did you click the links in post 1?
Yes, neither one mentioned a 4K UHD disc or 4K streaming. Would you mind sharing/quoting a source where it is indicated?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I am honestly curious to the status because this is one of my favorite dramas. (and I didn't want another Kubo thread! )

Last edited by RealorFake4K; 08-25-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Yes, neither one mentioned a 4K UHD disc or 4K streaming. Would you mind sharing/quoting a source where it is indicated?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I am honestly curious to the status because this is one of my favorite dramas. (and I didn't want another Kubo thread! )

The 1st twitter link says 4k blu ray directly from the source
Old 08-25-2016, 04:41 AM   #25

Mar 2016
Nashville

OK, but I have seen countless threads where the term '4K blu-ray' and a 'mastered in 4K blu-ray' have been mixed up.

I do hope it is a UHD disc though. I was just doing my due diligence before popping it on my site.

Last edited by RealorFake4K; 08-25-2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
OK, but I have seen countless threads where the term '4K blu-ray' and a 'mastered in 4K blu-ray' have been mixed up.

I do hope it is a UHD disc though. I was just doing my due diligence before popping it on my site.

If he says 4k blu ray, i sure as hell hope he means disc or he's going to have some angry online forums people's!

But since he did say fall so I would expect some type of preorder option to pop up in the next couple weeks.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 AM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

I would definitely be down for a UHD Blu-ray of Heat as long as they don't F it up.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

This would look great in HDR: =)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #29
Banned

Nov 2014
NY

Quote:
yep...I've seen countless time people referring to regular 4K remasters as a 4K blu-rays.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #30
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

ooh yeah, this will be mine. I've always thought the current BD is perfectly fine but I'm more than happy to upgrade for this title.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
ooh yeah, this will be mine. I've always thought the current BD is perfectly fine but I'm more than happy to upgrade for this title.
The audio is a different story, however. The levels between the dialog and the sound effects are completely out of wack.

If this is getting a UHD release, they better go back and fix the soundtrack.
Thanks given by:
appleslapscoco44 (12-29-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #32

Mar 2016
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
The audio is a different story, however. The levels between the dialog and the sound effects are completely out of wack.

It's been a couple years since I have seen the Blu, but I know Michael Mann is known for his naturally aggressive sound mixes. He and the sound guys actually record REAL gunfire from the set locations to ensure the echo and ferocity of the shots are accurate. This is jarring to many people as they don't realize just how loud guns really are.

That being said, maybe the sound is F'd up on the Blu, that gives me an excuse to rewatch it this weekend.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #33
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

^ yeah, this. Most, if not all, of his mixed keep dialogue low and sound effects high so the latter have more impact.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
^ yeah, this. Most, if not all, of his mixed keep dialogue low and sound effects high so the latter have more impact.
There was a foreign region Blu-ray release of Heat that had a different 5.1 track. The dialog wasn't set at a lower than reference point and the sound effects were still considered really punchy at key moments - a much better balance.

I have a hunch there is a mastering error in the U.S. Warner Brothers Blu-ray or they used the theatrical mix rather than a near-field remix.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I have no doubt whatsover that any UHD disc will be joined by a remastered (please don't call them "4K Blu-rays", people) Blu-ray. I'll get the regular Blu to start off with.
Thanks given by:
WorkShed (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #36
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I have no doubt whatsover that any UHD disc will be joined by a remastered (please don't call them "4K Blu-rays", people) Blu-ray. I'll get the regular Blu to start off with.
If the UHD comes with both a 4K disc and remastered BD, why not just buy that? If the 4K disc ain't up to snuff you can always sell it and keep the BD.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #37
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
If the UHD comes with both a 4K disc and remastered BD, why not just buy that? If the 4K disc ain't up to snuff you can always sell it and keep the BD.
I don't often like to split packages in case I sell them on in the future. And given how low the pricing has been for some of Fox's recent catalogue remasters (ID4) there's enough of a differential there to make buying the regular BD a sizeable saving. Some context to that comment: I don't base my UHD buying on how cheap the Blu is, this is about me wanting to avoid HDR regrades on catalogue titles until I get an HDR TV. Until then I'm VERY happy with just the regular BD.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (08-25-2016), Kris Deering (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #38
Expert Member

Mar 2012
New York

Quote:

Quote:
It's been a couple years since I have seen the Blu, but I know Michael Mann is known for his naturally aggressive sound mixes. He and the sound guys actually record REAL gunfire from the set locations to ensure the echo and ferocity of the shots are accurate. This is jarring to many people as they don't realize just how loud guns really are.

That being said, maybe the sound is F'd up on the Blu, that gives me an excuse to rewatch it this weekend.

The final shootout in Miami Vice is the same way, gunshots are very loud in the mix. I too remember thinking the sound was encoded wrong on other versions of Heat but than remember reading that is the way Michael Mann wanted the mix.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #39
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
There was a foreign region Blu-ray release of Heat that had a different 5.1 track. The dialog wasn't set at a lower than reference point and the sound effects were still considered really punchy at key moments - a much better balance.

I have a hunch there is a mastering error in the U.S. Warner Brothers Blu-ray or they used the theatrical mix rather than a near-field remix.
You're talking about the Japanese one? Either way, the US mix works for me and is consistent with what Mann has done on other films of his (though mainly the more recent ones).
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #40

Jul 2009

Christopher Nolan Talks Michael Mann’s ‘Heat’ with Cast and Crew at the Academy

Al Pacino finally admitted it: Vincent Hanna, the dedicated Los Angeles police detective he plays in Michael Mann’s 1995 crime saga “Heat,” is strung out on cocaine throughout the film.

“I don’t think I’ve ever said it out loud,” Pacino revealed at a special screening of a 4K DCP of the film at the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater Wednesday night. “But I’ve always wanted to say it, just so you know where some of the behavior comes from.”

Complete Article at Variety.com

They said 4K DCP in the article. Fingers crossed we get some sort of 4K UHD Edition.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists