Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K … $24.99 (92% claimed)
Prime: Rick and Morty: Season 2 $12.19 (2 hours left)
Prime: First Man $9.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Outlander: Season Three $23.99 (53 mins left)
Prime: The Girl in the Spider's Web $12.43 (10% claimed)
Prime: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: … ()
Prime: Hunter Hunter: Volume 5 ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
14 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Annihilation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
American Psycho 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ghost in the Shell 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 09-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonDragon View Post
Seriously, how many times does it need to be said? 4k as a format is more than just resolution. The difference is visible regardless of screen size. So it doesn't matter if its an upscale resolution-wise.
It boggles the mind that some people, and especially projector owners, have no concept of PQ improvements beyond resolution. Besides, most of these movies from 2K DI's do have more visible resolution, as the greater dynamic range itself brings out more detail and the wider color gamut reveals more color graduations. Not to mention the higher bit rate and color bit depth just makes it a better picture.

I can understand the projector owners being a little bitter about being left out of the party and poo-pooing on the new format. They're used to bragging about their big screen and now it doesn't look as good as the better HDR TVs out there. HDR and projection just don't go together well right now, but hopefully that'll change down the road.

Tok: No you don't need a projector to see the difference between 2k and 4k resolution. I see it just fine on my 75" TV and even on the 65" TV it is very apparent. Anyway most of Disney's movies will obviously be sourced from 2K DI's, so it doesn't matter much, as HDR will be the star of the show. Animation and HDR is a match made in heaven.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Power Member

Oct 2012

We can still brag about our big screens a home cinema without a projector is just a loud telly and all, but I think those people who think that the only benefits of 4k are resolution are going to be around for at least as long as those people who said the same thing about bluray which is, like, forever.

But, as an aside, and to go off topic, I hope these people boycotting the Disney blurays and sticking with Netflix and downloads until Disney go UHD are at least telling Disney what they're doing otherwise Disney are going to look at their declining disc sales and assume that people don't want discs anymore and not even look at UHD which would be terrible.
Thanks given by:
bruceames (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 01:50 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
But, as an aside, and to go off topic, I hope these people boycotting the Disney blurays and sticking with Netflix and downloads until Disney go UHD are at least telling Disney what they're doing otherwise Disney are going to look at their declining disc sales and assume that people don't want discs anymore and not even look at UHD which would be terrible.
I doubt there would be enough boycotters for Disney to even notice. UHD is still in its infancy and sales are only about 5% of all disc sales on a given title (and perhaps 10% of Blu-ray titles).

Personally I'm not buying any Disney movies, but not because I'm boycotting them. But rather I see what a huge difference UHD HDR would make to their releases and I'd rather just see it that way the first time. I'm sure they will come on board next year, when Dolby Vision is ready, as they are well aware just like I am of their movies looking sooo much better on the new format. It would not do their image any good if the best looking movies on home video were from the other studios.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #24
Power Member

Oct 2012

I hope you're right I remember they were a bit late to the party with bluray as well (I think)

Having said that, doesn't hurt at all to drop them an email asking them of their plans for UHD, just to let them know there is interest.

Last edited by KRW1; 09-24-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2016
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Personally I'm not buying any Disney movies, but not because I'm boycotting them. But rather I see what a huge difference UHD HDR would make to their releases and I'd rather just see it that way the first time. I'm sure they will come on board next year, when Dolby Vision is ready, as they are well aware just like I am of their movies looking sooo much better on the new format. It would not do their image any good if the best looking movies on home video were from the other studios.
To clarify my earlier posts, UHD is now my preferred way to see a movie. I don't want to buy the BD if I suspect a UHD is forthcoming. However, when said movie hits Netflix or other services, the desire to just plain see it at home trumps my desire for UHD, so I try to make do with that. If I can see the movie without additional cost on Netflix whenever I wish, I have a hard time justifying a disc purchase at that point. It's not about preferring Netflix or whatever over UHD, it's more of an economic decision; I felt like a chump buying The Peanuts Movie on UHD for 30 bucks then discovering a week later it was on HBO.

Last edited by bferr1972; 09-24-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
flyry (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1972 View Post
To clarify my earlier posts, UHD is now my preferred way to see a movie. I don't want to buy the BD if I suspect a UHD is forthcoming. However, when said movie hits Netflix or other services, the desire to just plain see it at home trumps my desire for UHD, so I try to make do with that. If I can see the movie without additional cost on Netflix whenever I wish, I have a hard time justifying a disc purchase at that point. It's not about preferring Netflix or whatever over UHD, it's more of an economic decision; I felt like a chump buying The Peanuts Movie on UHD for 30 bucks then discovering a week later it was on HBO.
I get where you coming from. In my case my desire to see a particular Disney movie is outweighed by the fact that I have so many other movies I want to see in my collection as well. So it can wait. And The Peanuts Movie or any other UHD BD movie will blow away the PQ you could get on cable or streaming, so I wouldn't have any regrets (unless I didn't like the movie of course).
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

I don't typically double dip, unless it adds worthy extras or a new cut of the film or a significant improvement in its presentation. Star Wars: TFA was released as a 2D-only BD earlier this year, and so was The Jungle Book. With each of those, I opted for the digital version for now.

With TFA, I'll now upgrade to the 3D BD in November for the new extras and 3D presentation (which will be awesome to finally have at home). For Zootopia and Captain America: CW, I went with the 3D versions from the start.

I don't see myself double dipping for UHD versions of these films next year actually. The Jungle Book was great and I would've gone for it in 3D if it was offered here from the get-go, but I never saw it theatrically, so I never saw it in 3D and don't know what I'm missing, so I won't even double dip for 3D.

I will jump on the bandwagon when they start releasing UHD day-and-date, that's for sure. When Disney adopts a new format, they put forth incredible effort to make their movies shine on it. I expect that to be the case next year. Hopefully DMA will also add UHD digital copies with your UHD disc purchase too.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #28
Power Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Tok: No you don't need a projector to see the difference between 2k and 4k resolution. I see it just fine on my 75" TV and even on the 65" TV it is very apparent. Anyway most of Disney's movies will obviously be sourced from 2K DI's, so it doesn't matter much, as HDR will be the star of the show. Animation and HDR is a match made in heaven.
Sorry real home theater is about immersion. Up-scaled 2K is not worth it when the vast majority of projectors suck at HDR. When that changes I'll be interested. I'm not giving up a 120" screen for 75" tv.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #29

Feb 2011
North Hollywood, CA

From what I remember, Disney is waiting for Dolby Vision to be standardized for 4K UHD disc before going 4K. They're not content with HDR10.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #30
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok View Post
Sorry real home theater is about immersion. Up-scaled 2K is not worth it when the vast majority of projectors suck at HDR. When that changes I'll be interested. I'm not giving up a 120" screen for 75" tv.

I guess someone should tell the studios using 2k DIs and 4K DIs mastered from 2k sources that they're not real home theater experiences.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post
Also; I will not buy any Disney titles until they are on UHD Blu. I really wanted the Force Awakens and Cap America Civil War, I'll live.
I cracked and picked Civil War 3D version , I'm trying to hold out on Force Awakens.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #32
Power Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

Although I'd have loved to buy Civil War and Zootopia (two of my favourites this year) on UHD, Disney dragging their heels on the format didn't prevent me from buying them. Also, I wanted both in 3-D, and there's no guarantee that Disney will issue 4K+3D+BD combo packs when they start releasing UHD titles. Although I hope they do... usually when Disney starts with a new format, they tend to go all-out, at least for a while. Before they lost their minds and started flip-flopping with 3-D releases, Disney's 3-D/BD/DVD/DC combo packs set the standard in providing as many viewing options as possible in a high-quality package (lenticular slips, etc.)

As far as Netflix goes, a film being available on there has never stopped me from wanting to own it on disc if it's a film I really love. Netflix is great for casual viewing, or if I want to have something on for background noise while I'm concentrating on other things... but for serious movie watching it's not good enough. When I sit down on a Friday or Saturday night with friends, I want the best possible quality, both picture and sound. Netflix is relatively low-bitrate, and the situation on there with audio is even worse. There's also no guarantee a title will be there in perpetuity for you watch whenever you might feel like it.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 09-24-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok View Post

I don't know, I feel immersed when I sit 6 feet away. That's less than a 1:1 screen size to viewing distance ratio. How far away do you sit from your screen? I used to sit further away, and that was with a 65" tv (about 8 feet). But with 4k TVs it's easy and even "inviting" to snuggle up closer to the display to get that same immersive experience as the projector guys have enjoyed, but without seeing pixels.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #34
Power Member

Oct 2012

You guys know that size doesn't matter, right?

The main thing putting me off at the moment is simply that there hasn't been a film I'm desperately interested in owning that's been released on the format, asides from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre which I'm quite happy with viewing at 1080p (although I did buy the UHD in preparation ).

That'll change when Star Wars is released, (Ideally, all 7 films) and I hope 2017 brings titles like Heat, Miami Vice, 2001 and so on. Until then, I'm happy to wait for projector tech to catch up with me but I'm still buying an Oppo 203 as soon as I can and emailing Disney to ask about their plans.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:00 AM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
You guys know that size doesn't matter, right?
Of course size matters, but lost in all the obsession about size is that it also matters a great deal how far away you sit. Proximity can go a long way in compensating for size. But until the emergence of 4k TVs and those 2 million tiny pixels, it has been uncomfortable (at least for me) to get that close to a TV display. The pulsing from plasma bothers me when I get close enough to see those pixels and besides who wants to see pixels anyway?

Of course the projector will have the advantage in that several people can get immersed without being subjected to wide viewing angles since the screen of course is so big and that seating arrangement are more convenient for that purpose. But watching along or with 1 or 2 other people my 75" display works just fine (although I've never owned a projector so ignorance is bliss).

Last edited by bruceames; 09-25-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Miami Vice
Could be tricky with this movie, not sure what resolution the digital cameras used by Mann for Miami Vice and Collateral. But we'll find out if they can be done some day.

Fitprod
Old 09-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
I hope you're right I remember they were a bit late to the party with bluray as well (I think)
Only 3 months between the first Blu-rays in June 06 and Disney's first releases in Sept 06. We are now 7 months since the first UHD titles were released.

Last edited by kidglov3s; 09-25-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #38

May 2016
Milwaukee

Well I am not bashing anyone, but I do not care how close you sit to a TV, a dedicated theater with Dolby Atmos(7.2.4) and a 4K movie is more immersive on my 180' wide(194.5" dia) Curved Seymour XD center. I do agree, HDR on a projector(even my JVC just is not there yet) But the Revenant in Ultra Blu ray format was like eye and ear candy. The water looked like glass. By the way, I built 100% of this theater myself

Screen2.jpg

seats.jpg
Thanks given by:
bruceames (09-25-2016), Deciazulado (09-28-2016), EbonDragon (09-25-2016), KRW1 (09-25-2016), master gandhi (09-25-2016), murphywmm (11-24-2016), reanimator (09-25-2016), ronboster (09-25-2016), shireguy (09-25-2016), Sulaiman3421 (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #39
Power Member

Dec 2015

I doubt Disney will release junglebook, civil war, zootopia or star wars in 4k anytime soon. Even if they start releasing stuff in 4k in 2017 which is a big if they will if history's any example do current releases first for a while and then do 1 or 2 titles from before 4k out of their whole catalogue a year similar to how they treated 3d.

Knowing Disney when they do start releasing 4k movies they will probably skip titles, do 4k disc only release and sometimes skip digital etc. just to mess with people . I am pretty sure Disney releases are sustained by the tears of the masses if releases like oz the great and powerful 3d demonstrate anything.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #40
Power Member

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
Only 3 months between the first Blu-rays in June 06 and Disney's first releases in Sept 06. We are now 7 months since the first UHD titles were released.
Ah I did try to cover myself by saying (I think), because I don't remember seeing any on the shelf when I bought my first discs in about 2008/9?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists