Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K … $24.99 (1 hour left)
Prime: Rick and Morty: Season 2 $12.19 (2 hours left)
Prime: First Man $9.99 (40% claimed)
Prime: Outlander: Season Three $23.99 (43 mins left)
Prime: The Lord of the Rings: The Mot… $47.39 (7 hours left)
Prime: The Girl in the Spider's Web $12.43 (11% claimed)
Prime: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: … ()
Prime: Hunter Hunter: Volume 5 ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
14 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

American Psycho 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Annihilation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Interstellar 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 02-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #21

Mar 2016
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by waff View Post
Also, they mention Stephen Strange in conversation in one of the last two movies, Civil War or Age of Ultron. So there may be some tie-in going down the road.
Doctor Strange is part of the MCU proper owned by Disney.

Fox only has the rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four now. The only reason they were able to do Deadpool and Wolverine is they're both under the X-Men umbrella, and those movies exist in essentially a parallel universe to all the rest of the Disney Marvel movies (The MCU).

Sony has the rights to Spider-Man but they let him be in Disney's MCU starting with last year's Civil War building up to his standalone Homecoming this July.

Universal technically does the same thing with the Hulk. They own the rights to the Hulk movies but license him out to Disney for use in the MCU.

Disney owns the rights to the rest of the MCU (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, etc.) and any future IP's Marvel wants to develop.

Essentially Fox is the only holdout with the X-Men not letting them appear in the MCU, but we'll see how long that lasts.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #22
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurtzke View Post
Essentially Fox is the only holdout with the X-Men not letting them appear in the MCU, but we'll see how long that lasts.
Forever, hopefully.

Also I don't think Universal have the rights to the Hulk, they only have distribution rights over any Hulk solo movie. Different thing.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #23

Jan 2010

Velvet, curious question. You said you hope FOX keeps xmen forever? Most people feel marvel can do better with the IP back in their hands.
Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (02-27-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #24
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceJUMP View Post
Velvet, curious question. You said you hope FOX keeps xmen forever? Most people feel marvel can do better with the IP back in their hands.
I prefer Fox's X-Men movies to the Disney Marvel movies, so it's pretty simple really. Don't mistake nerd blog orgasms for objective facts.
Thanks given by:
brainofj72 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 02:41 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008

Out of all the xmen movies though, we really only have a couple gems. Hate to say it, but it's time for Disneys shot at things.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:53 AM   #26

Jan 2010

Fair enough. I have a soft spot for the FOX xmen films. But after almost 20 years, it's time to share ��
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I prefer Fox's X-Men movies to the Disney Marvel movies, so it's pretty simple really. Don't mistake nerd blog orgasms for objective facts.
Agreed. Last thing I want is for the XMen, and Wolverine especially, to become just more vanilla cookie cutter MCU movie. All serving some BS phase plan.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoy the MCU for the accessible fluff they are (I own all of them but two.), but they dont stand out at all. The individual films have no unique individual identity or style. Forced unnecessary humor (seriously at this point the MCU is just shy of having laugh tracks), disappointing villains, and they all feel like they were made by committee and a focus group.

And the way Disney reacted to Black wanting to do Demon in the Bottle for IM3 and telling him that story would never be allowed in the MCU tells me Disney doesnt have the back bone to handle a character like Wolverine. Can you imagine what they would do to Wolverine? For christs sake they were too ***** to even have Stark deal with his PTSD with alcohol and actual consequences and self destructive behavior. Instead giving him a few lame G rated panic attacks. Wolverine would probably be turned into some non cigar smoking, no cussing, no berserking, balanced individual with the occassional bad dream.

They want the MCU to be live action saturday morning cartoon type fluff. Which is fine and they have it down to a proven formula, but I dont want the XMen or Wolverine becoming that. I need variety in the comic book fillm genre. Different tones. Different styles. Some more serious and adult. Some fluff. Some way off the beaten path. Some outside the box. But Disney and Marvel Studios refuse to think outside the box or try something different with the MCU. I cant really blame them because business is a booming, but I dont like the way they run the MCU. They are way to focused on uniformity, formula, and interconnectivity and its killing individuality and creativity in the MCU.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #28
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I mean there's no way in hell Fox are giving the rights back to Marvel so it's all kind of a silly discussion anyway. People who much prefer the Disney films bring it up and hope and dream and whatnot but it's not actually on the table, it's never going to happen. Fox ain't Sony.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #29
Special Member

Mar 2008

So, back to topic, is there a REAL chance Dr. Strange is released on UHD BD sometime soon?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #30
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievanhalen View Post
So, back to topic, is there a REAL chance Dr. Strange is released on UHD BD sometime soon?
Depends on how you define soon, I imagine. I'm sure Disney will jump in eventually and I'm sure their MCU stuff will be high on their release priority list, but how long for this particular title? Who knows.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #31
Banned

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurtzke View Post
Doctor Strange is part of the MCU proper owned by Disney.

Universal technically does the same thing with the Hulk. They own the rights to the Hulk movies but license him out to Disney for use in the MCU.
Wrong

Universal still holds the distribution rights to any future Hulk movies, but the character rights and licenses are owned by Disney.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #32
Special Member

Mar 2008
Spain

Quote:
Depends on how you define soon, I imagine. I'm sure Disney will jump in eventually and I'm sure their MCU stuff will be high on their release priority list, but how long for this particular title? Who knows.
By soon I mean later this year. I'm tempted to buy the Italian Steelbook which includes the 3D version (I live in Spain and the Spanish release doesn't and got too late to Zavvi's) but I need to know first if the English track (it's all that I need) will be DTS-HD Master Audio and not DTS-HR.
All in all, I like Dr. Strange's steelbook but I wouldn't like to double dip as UHD is first on my book.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #33

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddievanhalen View Post
Just wanted to chime in... I worked on the vfx for this show (Church, Dormammu sequences). Our final out was HD, so if there is a UHD disc it will be upres'd by a third party. We have workflows to do this to retain sharpness, keep noise under control, but it's still false UHD.

This show was shot at 6k, but after the crop & center extract it's closer to 4k. No one is really ready to work on an entire show at 4k out yet. We don't even get the 6k plates unless we request them for keying. Afaik Infinity Wars is slated to be the first we work on at that res.
Thanks given by:
agoofykindasuperman (02-27-2017), Geoff D (02-27-2017), imsounoriginal (03-21-2017), jaaguir (03-21-2017), JoeDeM (02-27-2017), Kamelot121 (02-27-2017), lakerone (02-28-2017), legends of beyond (02-27-2017), nonametofame (02-28-2017), puddy77 (02-27-2017), sonicyogurt (02-28-2017), zmarty (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #34
Special Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekura View Post
No one is really ready to work on an entire show at 4k out yet. We don't even get the 6k plates unless we request them for keying. Afaik Infinity Wars is slated to be the first we work on at that res.
Not even Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Really hoping for a 4k finish on that one because of the 8k capture.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekura View Post
Our final out was HD, so if there is a UHD disc it will be upres'd by a third party.
Thanks for the details. Can you say if your company retains the assets for the finals, allowing the option of re-rendering to 4K at a later date?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 AM   #36
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

No one's going to re-render for a disc release. Closest thing would be a The Martian style 4k video with upscaled effects jobby, and even that is the only time that's happened for disc release as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Not even Guardians of the Galaxy 2? Really hoping for a 4k finish on that one because of the 8k capture.
Note he didn't say 4k finish, he just said they're getting the 6k film files.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

This film was meant to be seen in 3D. Anyone who has seen it in 3D will attest that it's a core part of the film - as important as the surround sound is. I have zero interest in a 4k of this title. As usual, the director's intent is supposedly all-important, until 3D is brought up. Then, it seems okay to just do want you want and drop the 3D.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #38
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Yeah the 3D for this is kinda essential but I don't have a 3D TV anymore so it's a non-factor for me. I saw it that way theatrically at a six-story Laser IMAX, (worth every penny) even if I was set up for 3D at home it wouldn't even come close to approximating the real experience. I still enjoyed the movie on 2D BD but not nearly as much as theatrical IMAX 3D.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
No one's going to re-render for a disc release.
Perhaps not, but they might re-render for a disc release and a downloadable release and a streaming release and a television broadcast sale and a theatrical re-release and archival use.

There are lots of potential revenue sources that can benefit from improved assets these days.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #40
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

But when people will gobble that stuff up anyway on download and streaming and broadcast without the benefit of re-rendered VFX (see: the apathy towards TNG HD, even on streaming, as the wider audience just went 'meh' instead of recognising the work that went into it) it doesn't make for a great investment to spend a sizeable sum basically putting your movie through post again. That's why John Knoll said that re-rendering Phantom Menace when doing the 3D was never gonna happen (and we're not even talking about 4K here!).

Yeah, there's the "archival" point to consider but plenty of pre-DI movies have 2K or even 1K VFX baked into their negatives and that's as "archival" as it's gonna get for those shows. Hell, 4K post workflows are still the exception rather than the rule - see the post from nekura above - so I'm not gonna start demanding 4K re-renders for already finished shows until we're getting a consistent level of theatrical 4K finishes. Once that's done and the benefits from those post pipelines are in place (improvements in cost, efficiency, bandwidth etc) THEN we can start looking at this sort of thing...but not before.
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (03-21-2017), jaaguir (03-21-2017), legends of beyond (03-22-2017), StingingVelvet (03-21-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists