Best PC Game Deals

Best PC Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fallout 76 (PC)
$39.99

Overwatch (PC)
$38.97

Red Faction: Armageddon (PC)
$5.95

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
$18.20

Fallen Earth: Blood Sports (PC)
$7.52

Civilization VI (PC)
$41.99

Destiny 2 (PC)
$169.41

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC)
$59.99

Starcraft II Battle Chest (PC)
$29.96

Diablo III (PC)
$17.44

Fallout 76 (PC)
$59.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming

Old 01-27-2017, 01:09 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state
Thumbs down Expect RAM prices to keep rising

Stock up now or pay more later.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Meh, I had a feeling I was paying way too much for my G. Skill Trident Z 2x8GB DDR4 3600 kit (even though I still paid less for it than I did for my Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400 kit). Wasn't going to wait to get my Skylake upgrade done though.

Last edited by Nick The Slick; 01-27-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
Meh, I had a feeling I was paying way too much for my G. Skill Trident Z 2x8GB DDR4 3600 kit (even though I still paid less for it than I did for my Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB DDR3 2400 kit). Wasn't going to wait to get my Skylake upgrade done though.
I honestly didn't see this coming. I remember when the HDD prices went up a few years ago (due to a flood and what I believe was the main plant for producing HDD but those prices went back to normal pricing). Now this. I currently have 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM (2X8GB) in my rig. Many would say that 8GB is more than enough, but games like BF1 says other wise (and it's only going to be more common in the future, probably not do distant future).
Old 01-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
I honestly didn't see this coming. I remember when the HDD prices went up a few years ago (due to a flood and what I believe was the main plant for producing HDD but those prices went back to normal pricing). Now this. I currently have 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM (2X8GB) in my rig. Many would say that 8GB is more than enough, but games like BF1 says other wise (and it's only going to be more common in the future, probably not do distant future).

There's been a NAND shortage as well - SSD Prices Skyrocket As NAND Shortage Deepens, HDD Shortage Looms As Components Become Scarce.

People speculate that the HDD shortage of 2012 was a bit of a scandal and manufacturers just taking advantage of the natural disaster that happened to affect a few of the manufacturers factories. HDD manufacturers recorded nearly record profits during that year oddly enough, so make of that what you will.

As for the RAM price hikes, not sure what's going on there. I feel like it's an artificial price hike in preparation for ZENs release. A lot of people will be buying into ZEN and will need DDR4 for the platform. This also means both major platforms will be on DDR4 now making it more mainstream, so I guess now makes the most sense to maximize those profits.

Don't worry about your RAM though, seriously. I'm still a firm believer that 8GB is still enough (Though it's moved to the position of minimum in my mind), especially if you have a fast enough CPU and GPU to keep the data flowing smoothly. More importantly though, a GPU with enough VRAM that the game won't have to use a lot of system RAM. Another thing to remember that a lot of people don't seem to realize is that just because monitoring programs say a game is using X amount of RAM, it's most likely not. Games these days are allocating a lot of RAM (just in case I guess?) but are actually only using maybe half of it.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
There's been a NAND shortage as well - SSD Prices Skyrocket As NAND Shortage Deepens, HDD Shortage Looms As Components Become Scarce.

People speculate that the HDD shortage of 2012 was a bit of a scandal and manufacturers just taking advantage of the natural disaster that happened to affect a few of the manufacturers factories. HDD manufacturers recorded nearly record profits during that year oddly enough, so make of that what you will.

As for the RAM price hikes, not sure what's going on there. I feel like it's an artificial price hike in preparation for ZENs release. A lot of people will be buying into ZEN and will need DDR4 for the platform. This also means both major platforms will be on DDR4 now making it more mainstream, so I guess now makes the most sense to maximize those profits.

Don't worry about your RAM though, seriously. I'm still a firm believer that 8GB is still enough (Though it's moved to the position of minimum in my mind), especially if you have a fast enough CPU and GPU to keep the data flowing smoothly. More importantly though, a GPU with enough VRAM that the game won't have to use a lot of system RAM. Another thing to remember that a lot of people don't seem to realize is that just because monitoring programs say a game is using X amount of RAM, it's most likely not. Games these days are allocating a lot of RAM (just in case I guess?) but are actually only using maybe half of it.
Another HDD shortage? Not good.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Power Member

Jul 2010

I completed my first build back in July 2016 and was told ram was cheap. But at $90 bucks for two sticks of 8GB 3000mhz corsair vengeance ddr4, it didn't seem so. But I guess I really cant complain now.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
Expert Member

Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada

I had no idea this was happening. No way I'm upgrading at these prices. I guess I'm stuck with 2 x 4GB DDR3, feelsbadman.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

I noticed this when I went shopping or RAM a few weeks ago.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Prices have supposedly been fluctuating lately.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming