Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.21
5 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.92
19 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
The only way 3d will be mas adopted in houses for normal tv sets is if we get 3d sets that are glasses free that can handle multiple people without issue. Until then it is going to be a niche. It can be a profitable niche I feel, but they have to start producing a small number of sets again for that to continue.

2d isn't going anywhere. Even if all the above happens and everyone ran out and bought a new tv that could do it and everyone shoot in 3d going foward, we would still have 100 years of 2d content. Even then, some people do not have stereo vision, thus 3d in no way benefits them.

With that said the tv manufacturers need to reintroduce 3d to there sets if they expect me to have any interest any time in the next 10 years. If they don't by then i'll probably be going vr.
Well said Suntory Times.

While I see the point of the thread is to challenge any 2D fans against 3D, we can imagine if everything had to be in stereo 3D, it would require all archived 2D content, TV shows, movies, documentaries, and video games from the past, be converted into stereo 3D, even if they were intended to be 2D, as with 2D classical, realistic paintings that simulate 3D depth and perspective within a 2D space. The point being, 2D is historically as important as 3D is.

I'm a lifelong, big fan of stereo 3D, but firmly believe both 3D and 2D should exist side by side. Neither 2D or 3D should replace the other, since not everyone has the ability to watch TV in stereo 3D due to vision issues, as one good reason why both should exist.

Plus not all older 2D TV shows, movies and formats cry out for stereo 3D, like 2D cel animation for example. Yes, cel animation looks amazing in stereo 3D as seen in Little Mermaid 3D and Beauty and the Beast 3D, but the cost of converting 2D into 3D is still expensive and not all studios will be willing to update their archives. Plus there are many shows that weren't filmed for 3D, as the framing crops off the actor's heads, etc.

Keeping in mind also, the fact that not all 3D is created equally, with mild layered 3D conversions or filmed 3D, and in contrast, medium to strong 3D layered content. I know of many who rather watch a movie in 2D than a mild, barely there 3D conversion with weak 3D. Strong 3D is always welcome IMO.

If cost and the time/work to convert 2D to 3D were not factors, and there was some amazing glasses free, auto convert technology that offered flawless, strong 3D with pop outs, then that's a story for the future. And even then, not all will be able to see in stereo 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
Kind of amusing to me that after making The Bloody Brood with Peter Falk director Julian Roffman made The Mask, a movie that Peter Falk couldn't enjoy.

"Just one more thing", as Columbo would say before he left. I believe Peter Falk had a vision problem, yes.

Falk's right eye was surgically removed when he was three because of a retinoblastoma; he wore an artificial eye for most of his life.[10] The artificial eye was the cause of his trademark squint.[11] Despite this limitation, as a boy he participated in team sports, mainly baseball and basketball. In a 1997 interview in Cigar Aficionado magazine with Arthur Marx, Falk said: "I remember once in high school the umpire called me out at third base when I was sure I was safe. I got so mad I took out my glass eye, handed it to him and said, 'Try this.' I got such a laugh you wouldn't believe."[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Falk

But that does bring up the point that not everyone has eyes that align for 3D, due to an eyeball that wanders. I know some people who can't see 3D movies because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
Despite the temporary lack of 3d TVs, there are currently hundreds of 3d titles with thousands of installed displays. VR helmets and glasses free displays are constantly in a state of development, so interest could hardly be said to be dying. Hopefully what we are witnessing is the slow eagerly anticipated death of two dimensional entertainment.

I can't wait!!
I got a good laugh from the title of this thread, "2D is dead", as it's a metaphorical "back at you" for all of the "3D is dying" threads that have cropped up in this forum since 2010. But I definitely see the point you're going for, and I also want stereo 3D to always be a choice alongside 2D showings for home and theater entertainment.

2D and stereo 3D should be a choice, side by side. Neither should replace the other. I think that's part of what some 2D fans are concerned about, that 3D would eventually take over and there would be no more 2D choices.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
2D and stereo 3D should be a choice, side by side. Neither should replace the other. I think that's part of what some 2D fans are concerned about, that 3D would eventually take over and there would be no more 2D choices.
I think the goal should be to have a glasses free TV with a 3d control alongside the volume and channel control. You decide how strong it is and maybe even the point where video breaks the plane and comes out front. Auto convert needs to be improved to the point that it rivals dedicated 3d. 3d needs to be as effortless as 2d to finally kill the offensive flat format.

It will happen.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #23
Power Member

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post

It's because we were told it would over and over again circa 2010. Studios were dropping production of 2D movies I was told. By now, everything would be in 3D everywhere, and discs would be dead etc, and no-one would be buying vinyl LPs.

My point is making predictions is silly. Enjoy what you have and like and let that be enough.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (02-08-2017), Zivouhr (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #24

Aug 2015

2d died when nature gave us both eyes
Thanks given by:
juanbauty@yahoo.es (02-05-2017), Ray O. Blu (02-06-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion