Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #21
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaguir View Post
I'm sure you remember the site in its good days better than I do (not being ironical here), but I'm not sure it has changed so much.
Early scoops about releases is what people most care about now, and was the site so good at that, ever? They would post some item about big titles upcoming in the future months at their "rumor mill" section, once in a while, but I'm not sure they did much beyond that.
I remember when Robert Harris had a column there, and they try to keep up with that kind of content with some other collaborators. The guy gives his opinions about home-video industry, with a rant once in a while, like he used to.
Yes, he would often give the impression of being in contact with studio insiders and would be aware of certain trends or plans before-hand. The site is worse now, but so are studios' home-video departments. Maybe all those people he knew in studios' home-video departments have been fired, or they have shut him off (he has always been very vocal about the things he believes studios are doing wrong). If the problem with the site is about this, I wonder if we shouldn't give him support in some way (for the good ol days), instead of deride him.
However I'm certainly not going to be the one to defend what he's doing lately, reproducing news (without citing source) that you can read in this forum a few days earlier. Whatever problems he's having and that I could empathize with, it's true that maybe he's not facing them the right way. I mean, I understand that he may be earning some of the deriding by his own actions.
Even if it was just that they had the ear of people like RAH (though he's been more of an HTF stalwart for the longest time) and Charlie de Lauzirika that still gave them far more cred than they do now, it was great keeping up with the making of the Alien Quadrilogy DVD set, for example. But that was a good 14 years ago and their day has gone, I think it was summed up when Bill went mental about the ridiculous amount of retailer exclusives for STID, detailing his sit-down meetings with Paramount bods to explain why people were so pissed off....and then they went and did the same thing for ST Beyond anyway.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Trash Bill Hunt thread now?
Thanks given by:
HDMan72 (03-07-2017), legends of beyond (03-08-2017), ray0414 (03-07-2017), reanimator (03-07-2017), Steedeel (03-08-2017), WorkShed (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #23
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Heat recently got a 4k restoration. No 4k release. BD only.
Yeah but look at how many more times T2 has been released on DVD and BD, plus it's generally a much more popular film than Heat. T2 in 4K won't just sell, it might actually get people to upgrade lol
Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 AM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
I don't visit now, but even HTF is not what it used to, right? I remember when the head of Warner's home-video dept for catalogue used to have a yearly long chat with dvd buyers there, about future releases and stuff. Those days (still the dvd era, I believe) are gone.
Other studios did yearly chats at HTF too. Those were really cool at the time. I think the HD/BD format war, at least in part, helped end those.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Trash Bill Hunt thread now?
Eh. More a "trash speculative news" thread. Don't get me wrong, all we do on here is speculate the shit out of things - only we're not doing this as a full time job.

I really did love the Bits back in the day, make no mistake. They'd be the first site I'd check when logging on and the last I'd revisit before logging off, but nowadays it's just blah amongst a sea of blah, there are literally thousands of sites dedicated to all this stuff and, for me, the Bits have gotta work harder to earn their corn. YMMV.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #26

Jun 2008

Thank God I waited for a proper T2 Blu-ray release. Just have my DVD copy currently.

The restoration they did for the original Terminator was fantastic, so I can't wait to see how good T2 will look with a 4K restoration.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Even the most recent T2 BD isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than the DVD and has been as low as like $5ish. No reason to still be watching this movie on DVD lol
Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #28

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Even the most recent T2 BD isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than the DVD and has been as low as like $5ish. No reason to still be watching this movie on DVD lol
The DVD actually holds up well.

I still can't believe the master used on the most recent Blu-ray release of T2 dates back to at least 2004 as its the same one used on DVD I own.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=255...3&a=1&go=0&l=1
Old 03-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #29
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yes, they did a new HD transfer in 24PsF back in 2003, every Blu since then has been derived from that transfer, albeit with localised encoding/mastering differences.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #30
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgesp View Post
The DVD actually holds up well.

I still can't believe the master used on the most recent Blu-ray release of T2 dates back to at least 2004 as its the same one used on DVD I own.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=255...3&a=1&go=0&l=1
Definitely doesn't look bad, but the BD still looks better. Will be nice to upgrade this to 4K.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #31

Jun 2008

Quote:
Definitely doesn't look bad, but the BD still looks better. Will be nice to upgrade this to 4K.
I can't wait to see the new 4K remaster. Hopefully we get a remastered Blu-ray release sometime later this year.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #32
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Bolty, that last statement from Geoff describes what I meant too. There is nothing wrong with spreading official news (this site does that too), or echoing rumors from other sites, but if you only do that, without ever giving some scoop yourself or adding some exclusive added value, you cannot be considered a top site or esential site in your field, just another site. That's all.
I explicitly stated in my posts I feel kind of sorry for the guy for the decline of his site, and that I don't like deriding him (although I've done it once or twice myself in a humorous way), especially without knowing the behind-the-scenes drama that may be going on there.
The Bits will certainly still be useful to his usual readership (or he woudln't haave one, I guess), especially if they don't check out other sites. That's a legitimate purpose to fulfill too, and I wish him the best.
I think you're right, his famed "sources" have moved on and he's been left dealing with a bunch of clueless twenty-somethings infesting what little remains of the home video departments, especially in troubled studios like Paramount and MGM. But people still go to places like the Bits and HDD out of loyalty, habit even, yet for me they really are lagging behind news-wise and their reviews are nowhere near as incisive as others, and flat-out wrong some of the time.

The golden age of the 'DVD review' website has long since passed, personally I don't even consult any particular news sites on a regular basis any more (hell, not even the one I write reviews for) because I get so much information from this here forum. And I put FAR more stock in user feedback from certain posters on here than I do for any particular 'pro' reviewer, though I do have an admiration for Martin Liebman's UHD reviews (if not his taste in film).
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (03-09-2017), jaaguir (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

It's sad but true. DVD review sites have seen less and less traffic over the last few years.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #34
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
And this is probably going to be the best of extended cut we'll ever get. Whatever restoration they've been working on, it's theatrical.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

I am not disputing the accuracy of what you are saying about Bill Hunt -- I just wonder why that subject seems to have taken over the thread about my beloved T2 and whether it may soon come to UHD with a new 4K transfer.

If he has some speculation or 'inside info' in the subject and you think it is unreliable or inaccurate or it's only second hand then ignore it. Don't sit here and turn this into a thread about Bill Hunt.

How many posts in the last few pages about Bill Hunt? Too many! LOL

I'm just wondering how long after the theatrical re-release it will hit Blu-ray and especially UHD. I'm not buying it again for the 7th time unless its UHD.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #36
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerclay View Post
And this is probably going to be the best of extended cut we'll ever get. Whatever restoration they've been working on, it's theatrical.
The theatrical release will be the, um, theatrical release. But I will bet cash money that the footage for the extended version was restored right along with it, so look for it on the eventual home release. Case in point: Aliens.
Thanks given by:
Bolty (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The theatrical release will be the, um, theatrical release. But I will bet cash money that the footage for the extended version was restored right along with it, so look for it on the eventual home release. Case in point: Aliens.
Absolutely. I do not see them making the mistake of excluding the extended. I'm not buying the UHD of the movie without the extended cut. Not for this or Aliens or Abyss or Avatar or XM: DOFP, etc, etc.

So if they want to they want to release a UHD of the theatrical only -- I have a very nice Blu-ray with both cuts.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #38
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Absolutely. I do not see them making the mistake of excluding the extended. I'm not buying the UHD of the movie without the extended cut. Not for this or Aliens or Abyss or Avatar or XM: DOFP, etc, etc.

So if they want to they want to release a UHD of the theatrical only -- I have a very nice Blu-ray with both cuts.
And if on top of that they will restore those two little scenes from the Easter Egg edition, that would complete the journey (at least, until 8K arrives).
Old 03-10-2017, 02:00 PM   #39

Mar 2017

When I see Terminator 2 3D, I think of the attraction at Universal Studios Orlando. Always loved it! Is it available as a bonus on any of the BD releases?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:

Well James Cameron went through the 'trouble' of restoring the film for a 3D theatrical release. I doubt he went back and did all the extended stuff. I mean, it's certainly possible, but I doubt it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists