Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$7.08

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
Default Petition tcm for 3d broadcasts?

Just had an idea.

Perhaps TCM can start airing the 3D versions of films they have in their collection already, like Kiss Me Kate, Dial M For Murder and House of Wax (not to mention the upcoming Those Red Heads from Seattle) with the use of anaglyph glasses that can be ordered through TCM or obtained locally at a nominal cost.

By advertising these airings in advance, this could help gain interest in 3D in general. Though not blu ray 3D quality, it can still give the viewer an idea the additional enjoyment that only 3D can deliver. TCM can even mention advancements over anaglyph in their movie summaries.

Just like Sunday Night Silents and Foreign Film classics, a time slot maybe every other week or so could be made for classic 3D.

I'm assuming TCM might have considered such an idea before. Perhaps there are copyright issues at stake, like owning the 2D contents only (just grabbing at straws on that one but if so, am sure those who own such 3D rights would love to have their product publicized in such fashion).

Maybe some cards and letters on their website can give them a nudge?

Anyone think this is a good idea?:
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2009

Anaglyph looks AWFUL, it would turn off more people from 3D than get them into it.
Thanks given by:
Jimbo64 (04-06-2017), Mister Showman (04-05-2017), Suntory_Times (04-05-2017), UFAlien (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Special Member

Dec 2011

Sorry. Bad idea.

If TCM wanted to broadcast in real 3D like HBO, Starz and Netflix did last year, that would be fine.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (04-06-2017), Mister Showman (04-05-2017), UFAlien (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #4

Feb 2017

It would be great if TCM would talk about the advances made with today's technology to view these classic films. I don't feel we should go backwards to anaglyphic. We now have Blu-ray 3D and the ability to see these classics the way they were meant to be seen. TCM would be doing a service to promote Blu-ray 3D as the proper and only way to watch these movies in their original format. Restoration efforts made by the 3D Film Archive to save these classics should be discussed. Perhaps if people found out what they are missing?
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

May 2011
New York State
Default A Backward Step

If the studios see any of the 3D aficionados embracing anaglyphic we may lose support for the way we want see this product presented. In the 16mm and Super 8mm years Universal released 17 minute digests I embraced anaglyphic 3D but now we have a much better product.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (04-05-2017), ilovenola2 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi all,

So the consensus is rather than encouraging 3D, the anaglyphic picture being transmitted would be of such poor quality it would produce the opposite affect instead?

Was not expecting it to rival HD quality, even though the transmission would be 1080i. Had hoped it would be on the line of "Journey To The Center of the Earth", "Polar Express" and two Three Stooges shorts I had on anaglyphic DVD. Though Journey had very bad cross talk, the overall impact of the 3D was impressive and those discs certainly got the bug started in me for wanting more.

Please know this was not to promote a return to anaglyphic on DVD. Anaglyphic was only meant to serve as the means for non-3D set owners to get a glimpse of what 3D would be like in the home. My hope was more might consider the 3D feature when next looking for a new set.

But if the picture would be that bad, then it wouldn't be good. But would it be bad more or less by our own standards - since we are all 3D aficionados to one degree or another - and not seen that way by the average consumer, especially if made aware of how improved the picture would be with a brand new home theater set-up? Don't forget, we would be looking at it through our eyes. This would only be an introduction for most others, something just to wet their whistles.

Just my way of trying to spread the word. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
Thanks given by:
bavanut (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi all,

So the consensus is rather than encouraging 3D, the anaglyphic picture being transmitted would be of such poor quality it would produce the opposite affect instead?

Was not expecting it to rival HD quality, even though the transmission would be 1080i. Had hoped it would be on the line of "Journey To The Center of the Earth", "Polar Express" and two Three Stooges shorts I had on anaglyphic DVD. Though Journey had very bad cross talk, the overall impact of the 3D was impressive and those discs certainly got the bug started in me for wanting more.

Please know this was not to promote a return to anaglyphic on DVD. Anaglyphic was only meant to serve as the means for non-3D set owners to get a glimpse of what 3D would be like in the home. My hope was more might consider the 3D feature when next looking for a new set.

But if the picture would be that bad, then it wouldn't be good. But would it be bad more or less by our own standards - since we are all 3D aficionados to one degree or another - and not seen that way by the average consumer, especially if made aware of how improved the picture would be with a brand new home theater set-up? Don't forget, we would be looking at it through our eyes. This would only be an introduction for most others, something just to wet their whistles.

Just my way of trying to spread the word. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.
I don't think the idea would help sell 3d sets that don't exist but I would like seeing the movies. I just would prefer Netflix did it AND also played the new ones too. I've enjoyed the anaglyph presentations I've seen and wished there had been more of them. (not now, of course)

It didn't drive me away from 3d.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
I don't think the idea would help sell 3d sets that don't exist but I would like seeing the movies. I just would prefer Netflix did it AND also played the new ones too. I've enjoyed the anaglyph presentations I've seen and wished there had been more of them. (not now, of course)

It didn't drive me away from 3d.
Hi Damon,

Hey, Netflix isn't a bad idea.

My thought was if it developed a bit more interest, the older sets would be sold, giving the industry food for thought. And even if there was not a rush on buying, enough watching the broadcasts would be an indication of one of many groups to possibly target in the future.

Just layman's thinking.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

^ pushing for streaming services would be a better idea to stream side by side content etc. Anaglyph as people have said above is horrid and I agree would turn people off 3d (many would assume this is what 3d at home was, or they would build up that kind of thought process).
Old 04-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Damon,

Hey, Netflix isn't a bad idea.

My thought was if it developed a bit more interest, the older sets would be sold, giving the industry food for thought. And even if there was not a rush on buying, enough watching the broadcasts would be an indication of one of many groups to possibly target in the future.

Just layman's thinking.
Your intentions are positive for 3D and if a channel could present stereo 3D films so anyone with a 3DTV could enjoy it who receives TMC, that's a plus to help promote 3D, not considering all of the technicalities.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:25 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

I may add, if netflix, or stan or similar got some descent amount of 3d to tream where I am. I would immediately sub to it (of course assuming reasonable price, not $100 a month or anything silly like that), currently it doesn't though.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Special Member

Dec 2013

Quote:
Just had an idea.

Perhaps TCM can start airing the 3D versions of films they have in their collection already, like Kiss Me Kate, Dial M For Murder and House of Wax (not to mention the upcoming Those Red Heads from Seattle) with the use of anaglyph glasses that can be ordered through TCM or obtained locally at a nominal cost.

By advertising these airings in advance, this could help gain interest in 3D in general. Though not blu ray 3D quality, it can still give the viewer an idea the additional enjoyment that only 3D can deliver. TCM can even mention advancements over anaglyph in their movie summaries.

Just like Sunday Night Silents and Foreign Film classics, a time slot maybe every other week or so could be made for classic 3D.

I'm assuming TCM might have considered such an idea before. Perhaps there are copyright issues at stake, like owning the 2D contents only (just grabbing at straws on that one but if so, am sure those who own such 3D rights would love to have their product publicized in such fashion).

Maybe some cards and letters on their website can give them a nudge?

Anyone think this is a good idea?:
no, as the other post said anaglyph looks awful, they don't look any good in anaglyph 3d, they look way better in polarized 3d.

if they were to play those films on tcm in anaglyph 3d, they would be doing a huge disservice to those films that were originally presented in polarized 3d.

showing them in anaglyph is very bad idea.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Sorry, but this is a bad idea. We're trying to get more people on-board with good 3D. Anaglyph will achieve exactly the opposite goal. It is associated with bad 3D and should no longer even be in a discussion about 3D presentations going forward. It's a huge step behind where we already are.

If anything, they could air them in half side-by-side or over/under, like broadcasters used to do years ago before they dropped 3D TV broadcasts. Those formats are compatible with all 3D TVs and allow for full color and deliver the full 3D experience just as the blu-rays do, though the resolution is only half of full 1080p.

Last edited by mar3o; 04-06-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2014

Anaglyph gets a bad rap, but I find it an interesting process. It's the clunky low-tech version of 3-D. Inherently imperfect, pretty much archaic at this stage. But fun in small doses. I still use it for viewing 3D photos and 3D youtube videos on occasion.

I watched the anaglyph version of the restoration of The Mask recently and thought it worked surprisingly well, for the most part. It makes all the difference in the world having a crisp transfer with alignment issues ironed out. Those sequences are surreal to begin with, so anaglyph colours doesn't detract, it just adds to the weirdness. I think it's a good fit for black and white B-movies of shorter length. You wouldn't want to be viewing anaglyphically for any great length of time.

I wouldn't be opposed to Joe's proposal, but as can be seen in this thread, I don't think it'd get a whole lot of traction. And I have all the films suggested already on 3D-bluray, so it wouldn't be for me. It might find an audience, but it would also lose viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
If anything, they could air them in half side-by-side or over/under, like broadcasters used to do years ago before they dropped 3D TV broadcasts. Those formats are compatible with all 3D TVs and allow for full color and deliver the full 3D experience just as the blu-rays do, though the resolution is only half of full 1080p.
I think Joe's suggestion was as a way of reaching out to those without 3Dtvs. Unfortunately there is no other way at present.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2009

That's the problem though- if people see anaglyph 3D come back then they'll not only be reminded about how bad it looks, but they'll later think "I saw 3D on my TV already, I don't need to get one of those so-called 3D TVs!"

Funny though that before 3D Blu-Rays came out, there were a number of anaglyph 3D titles on DVD and Blu-Ray. I didn't buy a single one of them despite being a big 3D fan, but apparently they sold well enough to warrant going ahead with the current GOOD 3D standard- and now the industry wants to kill it due to "lack of interest"?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #16
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I may add, if netflix, or stan or similar got some descent amount of 3d to tream where I am. I would immediately sub to it (of course assuming reasonable price, not $100 a month or anything silly like that), currently it doesn't though.
Netflix had about 50 3D titles streaming in 3D last year. But there wasn't enough interest so like HBO and Starz On Demand they dropped it.

This topic is a waste of time. It's already been done and failed.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi all,

It's too bad there appears no option to introduce the general public to 3D in the home, even if indeed lower quality. Thought TCM (or as Damon suggested, Netflix) might be a start. I know the DVD edition of "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" got my juices flowing (as 8trax pointed out), even though it had terrible cross talk (I think one or two large and different colored shadows) for the effect was still stunning. Was also "smart enough" LOL to realize those problems would not be an issue with modern day technology.

I know this is the real world so thoughts like mine have no place in the business world where the bottom line is maximum profit. But "if I ruled the world" like Tom Jones and Tony Benet sung, I would suggest giving away at a nominal cost DVDs containing those two Three Stooges 3D shorts and perhaps the Casper the Ghost cartoon in anaglyph to promote the feature. Within the disc would also be an explanation of how this is only a crude demonstration, how when owning a television with a 3D feature (not calling it a "3D TV") and inexpensive 3D blu ray player, it will open one to an entirely new world of 3D viewing. Though one would not be able to see it, there can be drawings and charts to demonstrate it.

Oh well, it was just my own thought to help the cause.

But would like to add a personal note, if you all don't mind. Of course, thanks so much for your thoughts on this, both pros and cons. I learned a lot. But what I'm really happy about is that, unlike on other forums I participate in, we showed we are above the "cyber bullies" that so often turns honest discussions into something less dignified. Not just in this thread but in others.

We are a good group!
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (04-06-2017), mar3o (04-07-2017), Mister Showman (04-06-2017), Zivouhr (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerama View Post
Netflix had about 50 3D titles streaming in 3D last year. But there wasn't enough interest so like HBO and Starz On Demand they dropped it.

HBO still has 3D On Demand.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #19
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik kinder View Post
HBO still has 3D On Demand.
I have Comcast and they dropped 3D on HBO last year.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
Expert Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerama View Post

Unfortunately Netflix 3D was only available on certain brand devices, not sure which, except NOT Panasonic and Sony. Unless I was just too late when I had to replace my dead Panny BD with Sony.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion