Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.21

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Walking with Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.92

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.34
17 hrs ago
Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 04-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #21

May 2011
New York State

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik kinder View Post
HBO still has 3D On Demand.
I still have HBO 3D as well with Optimum.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
Unfortunately Netflix 3D was only available on certain brand devices, not sure which, except NOT Panasonic and Sony. Unless I was just too late when I had to replace my dead Panny BD with Sony.
Not only that, but they had fewer than 30 titles where I am and they never changed the lineup. plus they only had a couple of watchable movies. Beowulf and the Hole were the only ones I ever heard of. And if that weren't enough many titles wouldn't play at times due to bandwidth and I have much better than what they called for. I guess what I'm saying to the people that say "been there done that" is not really. Not in any way that wasn't doomed to failure
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
Expert Member

Sep 2012

I have 150+ movies on vudu, but only one of them came with a 3D version, Resident Evil:Tight Leather Outfit, I mean Retribution, and it didn't look too bad streaming, even bought a couple of Disney shorts based on the quality I saw. The features are a bit too expensive for my budget, though.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #24

Feb 2017

[QUOTE=Interdimensional;13447689]Anaglyph gets a bad rap, but I find it an interesting process. It's the clunky low-tech version of 3-D. Inherently imperfect, pretty much archaic at this stage. But fun in small doses. I still use it for viewing 3D photos and 3D youtube videos on occasion.

I watched the anaglyph version of the restoration of The Mask recently and thought it worked surprisingly well, for the most part. It makes all the difference in the world having a crisp transfer with alignment issues ironed out. Those sequences are surreal to begin with, so anaglyph colours doesn't detract, it just adds to the weirdness. I think it's a good fit for black and white B-movies of shorter length. You wouldn't want to be want to be viewing anaglyphically for any great length of time.[QUOTE]

I agree with you about The Mask since it was originally released in anaglyph and the 3D segments are just the right length and look great. The restoration adds a lot to the presentation.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Just to add my 2 cents, I think it is not a good idea either. I was one of the people who absolutely hated 3D, and it was because of anaglyph. I thought the effect was terrible and just made my eyes hurt with headaches. I had bad opinions about 3D for the longest time because of it.

I don't like Netflix idea either unless streaming becomes lot better. When I first got my 3DTV (only got it because it wasn't much more expensive than 2D only TV and I had few 3D blu-rays already from the collector's edition) I watched few movies (4 of them) from netflix in 3D. I remember the effect being incredibly bad. Double images, cross talk, bad resolution, worse eye strain I've ever experienced with headaches. I just thought it was bad conversion and only seeked out native 3D movies on blu-ray. I avoided those conversion 3D blu-ray like the plague, because I thought it was all like that. it was not until I bought one of the 3D movie that I saw in netflix on 3D blu-ray (it was less than $10, so couldn't resist) that i realized it was really the fault of streaming. The 3D effects were incredible and had none of the issues that I experienced in netflix. If my only experience was from netflix 3D, I would have never been a fan.

If place like Best Buy really pushed demo of 3D OLED 4KTV to the public, I think 3D would have been lot more popular. I didn't realize how good 3D could look until I saw it in 3D OLED 4KTV. But the salesman in every Best Buy stores I went to (granted, it was only 3 stores) have never even seen 3D in their own TV that they are selling. All just commented that they don't watch 3D and just try to push 4K to me. One even said 3D is terrible and waste of money, it's the 4k that I should get.
if salesman are like that, of course casual buyers would never know how 3D would look and just have old opinions about anaglyph and such.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far

The only anaglyph 3D movie I watch in this day and age is Friday the 13th on old ray DVD during October (Halloween month). It's not very good quality, but it's the only way to see this movie in 3D.

Vudu does stream 3D movies, but they are super expensive to purchase. Plus, the Roku 3 that I have won't stream 3D. I can only stream 3D from Vudu if I use the Roku Vudu app that's built into my region free Sony 3D blu-ray player. At least it is an option, but since I buy just about every 3D blu-ray release (domestics and imports), it's just as easy to slip the disc into the 3D blu-ray player. Besides, that's the only way to get the full DTS-HD Master Audio tracks, which for me, is very important.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #27

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Just had an idea.

Perhaps TCM can start airing the 3D versions of films they have in their collection already, like Kiss Me Kate, Dial M For Murder and House of Wax (not to mention the upcoming Those Red Heads from Seattle) with the use of anaglyph glasses that can be ordered through TCM or obtained locally at a nominal cost.

By advertising these airings in advance, this could help gain interest in 3D in general. Though not blu ray 3D quality, it can still give the viewer an idea the additional enjoyment that only 3D can deliver. TCM can even mention advancements over anaglyph in their movie summaries.

Just like Sunday Night Silents and Foreign Film classics, a time slot maybe every other week or so could be made for classic 3D.

I'm assuming TCM might have considered such an idea before. Perhaps there are copyright issues at stake, like owning the 2D contents only (just grabbing at straws on that one but if so, am sure those who own such 3D rights would love to have their product publicized in such fashion).

Maybe some cards and letters on their website can give them a nudge?

Anyone think this is a good idea?:
It was already tried on various stations and various networks in the 1970's and 1980's.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #28

Oct 2011
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Just had an idea.

Perhaps TCM can start airing the 3D versions of films they have in their collection already, like Kiss Me Kate, Dial M For Murder and House of Wax (not to mention the upcoming Those Red Heads from Seattle) with the use of anaglyph glasses that can be ordered through TCM or obtained locally at a nominal cost.

By advertising these airings in advance, this could help gain interest in 3D in general. Though not blu ray 3D quality, it can still give the viewer an idea the additional enjoyment that only 3D can deliver. TCM can even mention advancements over anaglyph in their movie summaries.

Just like Sunday Night Silents and Foreign Film classics, a time slot maybe every other week or so could be made for classic 3D.

I'm assuming TCM might have considered such an idea before. Perhaps there are copyright issues at stake, like owning the 2D contents only (just grabbing at straws on that one but if so, am sure those who own such 3D rights would love to have their product publicized in such fashion).

Maybe some cards and letters on their website can give them a nudge?

Anyone think this is a good idea?:
It was already tried on various stations in the 1970's and 1980's.

It was also already tried on various networks.

Anaglyph also changes the color making certain objects look completely the wrong color. Anaglyph is only good for black and white.

Ironically, since Sharkboy and Lavagirl was designed to be used wiith anaglyph, the perceived color is correct in anaglyph and the completely wrong color in the better polarized type of 3d.

Just look at her hair color in both or either versions when they say what color it is.

I have both. And for that particular movie, it's correct in anaglyph and wrong in polarized. But that's the only one I'm aware of, other than perhaps Spy Kids 3, but I didn't notice any inconsitancies in that one.

For every other movie though, it's the opposite, the anaglyph looks horrible and makes the wrong colors appear unless the movie is in black and white and the polarized 3d version looks great with accurate colors.
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (07-08-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion