Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 07-02-2017, 04:14 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofj72 View Post
I doubt this will ever happen, honestly. There doesn't tend to be a huge amount of overlap between home theater tech junkies and arthouse film lovers. Tons of Criterion fans still just buy the DVDs. I can't imagine UHD would be a cost effective move for them.
They need to stop making DVDs... if they care so much about the best quality. Like really, buying a Criterion DVD this day in age is an oxymoron.

Anyway they really need to jump on board already. I hate seeing the words "New, restored 4K digital transfer" on a 1080p BD disc.
Thanks given by:
KubrickKurasawa (07-06-2017), Mr. Sasquatch (02-19-2019), MrMahn (07-08-2017), Ray_Rogers (07-07-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #42

Oct 2008

Aren't there some pretty steep licensing cost for Ultra HD discs? That might be a big hurdle for smaller, more boutique labels (assuming I'm not talking out of my ass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorik View Post
Criterion did a 2k scan for their release based on their website.

There was news about one minute from every Godzilla film being scanned in 4k as a test in 2014. Does anyone know if it was ever progressed?
The Godzilla 4K Project featured one minute in 4k from each of the 28 original Godzilla films, and aired in HD during the summer of 2014 on the Nihon Eiga satellite channel, with 4k airings on Sky Perfect JSAT.

Also during the summer of 2014, a new digital restoration of the first film played in Japanese theaters, including some special events where the film was accompanied by a live orchestra performing Akira Ifukube's score. This restoration, though scanned at 4k, appears to have been completed at 2k resolution (if my reading of mangled Google translations is accurate). The fine grain positive used for the Criterion transfer, and Toho's previous HD master, was discovered to be a fourth generation element, instead of having been printed from the no-longer-existing camera negative. A dupe negative that had been sealed for decades was found to be the best element, and was used for the bulk of the film.

Since then, Toho has performed a full 4k restoration of "King Kong Vs. Godzilla", which premiered last summer. As far as I know, this is the only Godzilla title Toho has done in a full 4k restoration.
Thanks given by:
azmodeous (07-03-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #43

Jun 2017

I don't not know if it's of any help, but I emailed Jon Mulvaney from Criterion at the email they have posted on their website and he replied with:

Thanks for writing. It's true, we're starting to do more restorations
in 4K, however, to the best of my knowledge there are no immediate
plans to release titles in 4K. There are no Criterion releases that
require a 4K compatible player at this time.

We do announce our upcoming releases and special projects via our
e-Newsletter and Current on the website. The best way to stay
up-to-date on our future plans is to check our "Coming Soon" section
and e-newsletter. You can find the newsletter sign up midway down our
homepage, in the Newsletter block on the right, just below New
Releases. I've included links below for your convenience.

All the best,
Jon Mulvaney
Thanks given by:
ryantoyota (09-09-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMensch View Post
I don't not know if it's of any help, but I emailed Jon Mulvaney from Criterion at the email they have posted on their website and he replied with:

All the best,
Jon Mulvaney
Everyone keep politely pestering Jon that we're serious about buying Criterion UHD Blu-ray's... and especially, for me, with Dolby Vision as it has other benefits besides HDR.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Well isn't the most obvious reason why Criterion won't do UHD titles is that they contractually have to region lock their titles - I didn't think UHDs could be locked to a specific region, right?
Old 07-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #46

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
Well isn't the most obvious reason why Criterion won't do UHD titles is that they contractually have to region lock their titles - I didn't think UHDs could be locked to a specific region, right?
That seems like it could be a big hurdle, though I can't imagine that the Blu-Ray Disc Association wouldn't have foreseen such a situation when they decided against region coding for Ultra HD Blu-ray.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Criterion's first Blu-ray discs didn't appear until October 2008, almost two and a half years into the life of Blu-ray... we're only a year and four months into the life of Ultra HD Blu-ray. That doesn't guarantee that they will follow the same timing, but it's something to consider.
Thanks given by:
KubrickKurasawa (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
I doubt this will ever happen, honestly. There doesn't tend to be a huge amount of overlap between home theater tech junkies and arthouse film lovers. Tons of Criterion fans still just buy the DVDs. I can't imagine UHD would be a cost effective move for them.
I've noticed this as well. Several people I've known over the years, some of which are very high income earners, are huge independent cinema buffs who only stream or download. Passionate about movies but not the kind to 'collect' and aren't picky regarding t a/v quality. It's like those Amoeba "what's in my bag" videos where film industry professionals show off their haul of a bunch of dvds when there are blu ray editions available. It also reminded me of a Wallace Shaun interview I saw where he's in his living room and the tv cabinet is pretty much only surrounded by vhs.

Last edited by meremortal; 07-06-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Goodman View Post
That seems like it could be a big hurdle, though I can't imagine that the Blu-Ray Disc Association wouldn't have foreseen such a situation when they decided against region coding for Ultra HD Blu-ray.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Criterion's first Blu-ray discs didn't appear until October 2008, almost two and a half years into the life of Blu-ray... we're only a year and four months into the life of Ultra HD Blu-ray. That doesn't guarantee that they will follow the same timing, but it's something to consider.
but really it's not about timing, it's about the licensee rights and specifically those studios and boutique video companies who have distribution exclusivites in certain markets, of course for those of who are region free bluray players that's a moot point; but when you have a technology that suddenly becomes worldwide it becomes a problem.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:40 AM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

They'll just have to get over it. Region coding was doing much more harm than good.
Thanks given by:
meowingdogs (10-23-2018)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:44 AM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
They'll just have to get over it. Region coding was doing much more harm than good.
Criterion won't 'get over it' though - they'll just turn a blind eye to it
Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #51
Expert Member

May 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
They could check the player's country code like some japanese anime Blu-rays do.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #52
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Goodman View Post

Blame the HD disc format wars. Blu-ray disc vs. HD DVD.
My .02, I'd much rather see the full 4K remastered titles on UHD from Criterion instead of just everything and the kitchen sink. Make a new numbering system for UHD with the BD numbering underneath it.
They'd heavily price gouge it, of course.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
They could check the player's country code like some japanese anime Blu-rays do.
... what?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
Don't go down this path. It leads to the Dark Side.
Thanks given by:
legends of beyond (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #55
Expert Member

Dec 2008

We will probably see 4k streaming on Filmstruck (way) sooner than seeing any 4K UHD Criterion BDs.
Thanks given by:
flyry (09-01-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMensch View Post

All the best,
Jon Mulvaney
At least they're saying they're never gonna do it. Just until it's the right time.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #57

Apr 2015
Providence, RI

One reason they might not do it is they tried doing dual packaged Blu-ray/DVD and stopped. If they do 4K I'd imagine they would have to also include Blu-ray, which they might not want to do given their previous experiment.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmcapsule View Post
One reason they might not do it is they tried doing dual packaged Blu-ray/DVD and stopped. If they do 4K I'd imagine they would have to also include Blu-ray, which they might not want to do given their previous experiment.
They could do it on selected titles. Not every title makes sense or UHD.

The nuisance with the DVD combo backs were that many of them were 1 blu-ray and 2 DVD - and they required special packaging (which is why so many of them came in large digipack type packaging). The most ridiculous release possibly being Zatoichi, which I believe was 9 blu-ray and 18 DVD's. That's 18 coasters to alot of people.

At least with blu-ray it would be 1UHD:1BD. Possibly using the BD as an "extras" disc with the UHD disc being the film only.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #59
Power Member

Oct 2012

I imagine the region coding thing might make them put it off for a while. For all it's ills, it was cheaper for a smaller company to licence a title for one territory than for the world and they're certainly not going to do it for every title. Perhaps Spine no 1000!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #60

Oct 2017

Quote:
..There doesn't tend to be a huge amount of overlap between home theater tech junkies and arthouse film lovers...
On an AVS forum a few months back, I questioned the success of the Atmos audio codec and pointed to the list of upcoming Atmos Blu-ray releases. I said something like, who cares about Atmos when it's in such lousy movies. I was surprised by the amount of pushback, people were excited for almost all the films.

Here's the list. Would people here be excited about buying these on Blu-ray?

Suicide Squad
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
The Secret Life of Pets
Mechanic: Resurrection
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay
Sausage Party (could make a case for)
Ster Trek Beyond (could make a case for)
Ghostbusters remake
Ice Age: Collision Course
Legend of Tarzan
Angels & Demons
Penny Dreadful
Swiss Army Man
X-Men Apocalypse
Warcraft
The Shallows
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Labyrinth
The Conjuring 2
Now You See Me 2
The Angry Birds Movie
Lucy (could make a case for)
Oblivion
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Man of Steel
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists