Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$7.08

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Default (Magic Eye) 3D image - no glasses required

Anyone heard of "Magic Eye"? It is a website started in the 90s that made, and patented, images that have hidden 3D effects. No 3D glasses are needed. You just need to look at them, cross your eyes for a few seconds, then slowly uncross them to see the 3D image emerge. It was sort of a craze in the 90s, and books were sold in the pre-Internet years. There is also a website that lets you make your own "stereogram," that's what it's called. I made a simple one that has the hidden text "3D" in it. See if you can find it. The 3D effect is fairly vague, and that is just the nature of these things. But you do see depth and distance that indicates dimensionality. It works best if you see it full screen on a black background. Crossing your eyes repeatedly could cause fatigue, so be careful. The neat thing is that once you see the 3D effect, you may keep seeing it even if you blink or move your head. You may even have a hard time "snapping out" of your 3D vision to see it back in 2D again. Like all optical illusions, this 3D effect makes your eyes (and you) believe in what they see and subsequently get used to what they see.

Thanks given by:
bavanut (07-12-2017), DarrinG (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
Banned

Jul 2017

Wow, maybe i can try
Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 AM   #3
Special Member

Nov 2014

I remember the Magic Eye picture craze. You'd be passing through the city centre and there'd be some street vendor with a lot of wallpaper-looking posters set up, and people stood around with a slightly hypnotized-looking stare on their face claiming they could see dolphins and such.

I thought it was some sort of mass hysteria, where a lot of people were claiming to be able to see things that weren't even there! - I couldn't see them. Well, later that year someone in the family got one of the books as a Christmas present, and I stayed up all night trying to get it to work. And eventually, success!

Where I had been going wrong was listening to people saying things like 'you need to unfocus your eyes', or 'cross your eyes'. What you actually need to do is converge your line of sight in the distance, as if you were looking through the picture.

It's an interesting technique, but I've never seen it applied to anything especially artistic.

The website is fun, but limited. Here's my attempt:

I didn't create the depth map or the texture, so essentially it's just a case of choosing from the selection provided and combing the two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyStereogram(1).jpg (94.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

I have zero problem with watching 3D but I can't get any of these.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Lombard, Illinois

Ha, yeah, I remember these from back in the day and I never could see the intended 3D images. But I know now I didn't see these images simply because I didn't know "how" to do it. Today, with the two tips mentioned previously, I can see the intended 3D images. But I get two different results:

While staring directly at the picture - Cross your eyes for a few seconds and slowly uncross: Positive Parallax. The intended 3D image goes further into the screen, like a hole or cavern.

While looking above the computer screen - Converge your line of sight in the distance and slowly look down at the picture (I was unable to look directly at the picture and "look through it".): Negative Parallax. The intended 3D image came forward from the screen, like a pop-out.

With either the inverted or protruded 3D image, I was able to blink and even look away for a second or two and still retain the 3D image when I continued staring at the picture. Am I crazy, or just abnormal? Is there a doctor in the house? Paging Doctor Strange...

Nonetheless, it's pretty cool...even if my eyes are watering now after all this.

Last edited by kurosawa; 07-22-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

I hated the magic eye stuff, gave you a headache for a lame picture you could barely see. I thought this thread was going to be on a new TV.

If you want goid 3d no glasses required, I guess you're still stuck with the new 3ds.
Thanks given by:
Frank@Chicago (10-29-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
I hated the magic eye stuff, gave you a headache for a lame picture you could barely see. I thought this thread was going to be on a new TV.

If you want goid 3d no glasses required, I guess you're still stuck with the new 3ds.
The new 3ds they hsve just discontinued you mean?

Oh, and leave us alone. We are enjoying looking deranged trying to spot the magic eye pictures!
Thanks given by:
kurosawa (07-23-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2012

Blast from the past! Immortalised in Mallrats. 'It's a sailboat!"
Old 07-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
Blast from the past! Immortalised in Mallrats. 'It's a sailboat!"
It's a schooner not a sailboat[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2012

I remember an episode of Seinfeld that features the 'magic eye' poster, very funny, but not so much for George...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion