Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 PM   #21
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
I'd like to see more 2D screenings in IMAX. Not against 3D but rarely the extra cost is worth it to me.
You know what I'd like to see? 3D screenings WITHOUT the extra charges! It seems people are refusing to pay them now, the response SHOULD be to drop the charges NOT the 3D showings!
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (08-04-2017), Rickyrockard (07-30-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 AM   #22

Feb 2017
Midwest, USA
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...cially-1025843

Imax Entertainment CEO Greg Foster tells THR that Imax is not abandoning 3D but taking a more strategic approach to its use of the format. "3D is no longer the default," he says, explaining that Imax releases about 35 motion pictures per year, and of those, his instincts suggest that an estimated 5-10 would be 3D releases in the foreseeable future.

"We listen to our filmmaking partners," he adds, saying directors that want to release their movies in 3D will continue to have Imax's support.
Thanks given by:
gerdsen (08-06-2017), Rickyrockard (08-04-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #23

Jan 2017

They need to show 3d on more laser projectors, as I find the cleanest/least blurry/brightest 3d experience to be in laser projectors and OLED tvs. In most areas of the country currently the only laser projectors available in theaters are the "Dolby Cinema AMC"... these Christie laser projectors look amazing.. but are mostly used to show Dolby vision 2d 4k content. However I was able to see Rogue One Star Wars in 3d on one of these laser projectors and I thought it looked cleaner and brighter than any of the the non-laser projectors.

Unfortunately imax only has like 10 or less laser projectors across the country , so the vast majority of 3d is still being shown on non-laser projectors... while 2d 4k hdr Dolby vision is available in many areas on laser projectors in "Dolby Cinema AMC" theaters....

..So it's unfair battle of dark non-laser 3d projectors vs laser 2d 4k Dolby vision laser projectors at the moment.

This may be too much detail for the average consumer, but I think 3d would do better and impress more people if they can show 3d properly on the new 3d laser projectors...
Old 08-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oled3D>4kBD>2kBD View Post
They need to show 3d on more laser projectors, as I find the cleanest/least blurry/brightest 3d experience to be in laser projectors and OLED tvs. In most areas of the country currently the only laser projectors available in theaters are the "Dolby Cinema AMC"...
If IMAX is moving away from 3D presentations, it likely means they will not be investing in new laser projectors.

There are only 12 installations, and with falling revenue, they're likely pulling back on major investment in the tech.

Laser projection will happen over time, but it's not going to save 3D.

fitprod
Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
If IMAX is moving away from 3D presentations, it likely means they will not be investing in new laser projectors.

There are only 12 installations, and with falling revenue, they're likely pulling back on major investment in the tech.

Laser projection will happen over time, but it's not going to save 3D.

fitprod
There are about 40 laser installations currently in place, and they've already signed contracts for at least another 30 theaters, so I don't see them pulling back on laser as the big cost was the R&D to get it developed. But true, they may not use it in IMAX Digital theaters for a while, and instead install the 12 Channel sound system separately like they did with AMC Empire.

They aren't completely backing away from 3D as some releases will be split and apparently Geostorm will be 3D only, but looks like Justice League will be IMAX 2D only which is surprising to me and I think a mistake with such a huge property.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:04 PM   #26

Feb 2017
Midwest, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
There are about 40 laser installations currently in place, and they've already signed contracts for at least another 30 theaters, so I don't see them pulling back on laser as the big cost was the R&D to get it developed. But true, they may not use it in IMAX Digital theaters for a while, and instead install the 12 Channel sound system separately like they did with AMC Empire.

They aren't completely backing away from 3D as some releases will be split and apparently Geostorm will be 3D only, but looks like Justice League will be IMAX 2D only which is surprising to me and I think a mistake with such a huge property.
According to IMAX.com, there are only 13 laser installations in the USA with another 5 in Canada so you must be giving global numbers. Considering how big the world is, 40 is a really small number. Seems like they've been talking about developing a laser projection system for the smaller IMAX theaters for years now without any real progress. I suspect they've put that on hold.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 AM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStar View Post
According to IMAX.com, there are only 13 laser installations in the USA with another 5 in Canada so you must be giving global numbers. Considering how big the world is, 40 is a really small number. Seems like they've been talking about developing a laser projection system for the smaller IMAX theaters for years now without any real progress. I suspect they've put that on hold.
Yeah, putting that laser system for smaller theaters on hold is what I meant.
For instance at AMC Empire they installed the 12 Channel Sound System, and did the same seating and auditorium interior design improvements Lincoln Square got during its laser renovation, but kept the same digital projection for the 60 foot screen.

But while laser for smaller theaters would be a significant R&D investment, that investment has already been done for laser on the giant size IMAX screen, and I think they will continue to install new ones at the theaters they've already worked out a contract with (true 40 theaters is not a huge number, but it was 14 when Force Awakens came out a year into the system's lifespan, so there is some progress).
Thanks given by:
RickStar (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #28
Special Member

Jul 2009

I just saw a posting on Facebook from a small theater somewhere in New York State- they did a poll as to whether people preferred 3D or 2D, and they said the results were "overwhelmingly" in favor of 2D so they would be showing most of their movies that way from now on. People are stupid.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion