Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: Metropolis ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$43.99
16 hrs ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
5 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
5 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
I was thinking it would wind up as some kind of box set of "the Soderbergh completist" or somesuch, but "Full Frontal" actually would make sense as a bonus feature on "sex lies".
Agreed. It would make a lot of sense for them to throw in another one of his features considering just how good the current blu for s/l/v is, and Full Frontal would make a lot of sense. This thing better be loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacivory View Post
I could see it, Bubble, Girlfriend Experience getting a bundle together as his experiment collection.
I could see that too. Might as well throw The Good German and Schizopolis in there for good measure.

Followed by standalone releases of Kafka, The Limey, and Solaris. In my dream world, at least.
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (03-01-2018), Lionel Horsepackage (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoke Moseley View Post
I can't imagine Full Frontal getting a standalone release from Criterion. I'd imagine it'd get dumped as a supplement a la The Underneath.

Or if they want to release a 5 films-esque set of Soderbergh films, that'd be cool too.
Full Frontal already has a very weird history on BD, because the existing BD is not the theatrical cut, it's an unadvertised, unmarked extended cut that's 10 mins longer. The theatrical cut is included on the BD, but only in the form of an SD version with Soderbergh's commentary, which cannot be turned off. The theatrical cut of Full Frontal has never been released on BD.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #23
Expert Member

Jun 2016

Funny Iíve always wanted to see this Bc itís right up my alley and almost bought the blu the other day. Now I get to watch it criterion style
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Full Frontal already has a very weird history on BD, because the existing BD is not the theatrical cut, it's an unadvertised, unmarked extended cut that's 10 mins longer. The theatrical cut is included on the BD, but only in the form of an SD version with Soderbergh's commentary, which cannot be turned off. The theatrical cut of Full Frontal has never been released on BD.
I knew it had an extended cut, I didn't realize that was the situation. Is the extended alternate cut missing anything from the theatrical?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
I knew it had an extended cut, I didn't realize that was the situation. Is the extended alternate cut missing anything from the theatrical?
The extended BD cut of Full Frontal didn't seem to be missing anything, it just had a couple of new scenes and a couple of extended scenes from the original version. It felt less like an intentionally created "Director's Cut" than an early cut of the film that was mistakenly transferred.

The weird thing is the inclusion of the original cut with the commentary. Since the commentary didn't match length of the extended cut, they couldn't simply put the commentary on it as an alternate audio track. So they clearly knew they were including two different cuts of the film on the BD, yet there's nothing to suggest this on the packaging. Thoroughly strange.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

With all the 4K reissues and Criterion releases lately, I almost feel like I should get rid of all my 'regular' BDs...
Old 03-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #27

Jan 2013
Texas

Ugh, I just bought the non-Criterion like a month ago.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:03 AM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
The Wasatch Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexes23 View Post
Ugh, I just bought the non-Criterion like a month ago.
Don't feel bad; I just bought the Criterion DVD of Mishima a couple months back and now that's hitting Blu. It happens.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Georgia

This might be another Breakfast Club situation. The original release is great, and I doubt there will be many informative extras that will make it worth throwing out 25 bucks for this. Unless I'm blown away by the special features I will keep what I have. I can't keep double and triple dipping when there are so many films that I don't have at all.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

I'd double dip for Winston, I was working out an elaborate plan to buy a LD off ebay and ship to a friend who could rip it for me and keep the disc, so this seems way easier for only a little bit more money.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:28 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

I hope that all the Graham interview tapes are included in the bonus features.

I'm especially interested in the one with Gladys from April 15th, 1986.
Thanks given by:
Blu_Beard (10-27-2018), dressedtokill (04-17-2018), klauswhereareyou (04-17-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:39 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015

Quote:
Agreed. It would make a lot of sense for them to throw in another one of his features considering just how good the current blu for s/l/v is, and Full Frontal would make a lot of sense. This thing better be loaded.

I could see that too. Might as well throw The Good German and Schizopolis in there for good measure.

Followed by standalone releases of Kafka, The Limey, and Solaris. In my dream world, at least.
I might be wrong, but I think they'll really have to load this up with something out of the ordinary to get people to double dip, i.e. including another film. Making this a double bill with something like "Kafka" for example, the way they put "The Underneath" on "The King of the Hill" disc. I'm a fan of the film, but I don't feel particularly compelled to double dip on it, as I don't revisit it often.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #33
Special Member

Jun 2015

Quote:
I have no problems with the current disc, but it's one of my favorite movies so of course I'll double dip.
I agree. Of course, right now, like many, I'd prefer an upgrade for The Limey, or something else not on BD. But Sex, Lies, and Videotape has enough clout for me to go in again, assuming that the extras are strong enough.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Coming in July

https://www.criterion.com/films/2883...-and-videotape
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

I wonder why they wouldn't include "Winston" this time around.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
New documentary about the making of the film featuring actors Peter Gallagher, Andie MacDowell, and Laura San Giacomo
No Spader? Disappointing.

Looks like a great release though and I guess worthy enough for a double dip.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #37

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

pre-order

Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

Quote:
No Spader? Disappointing.
I was expecting this. I was watching Spader's recent appearance on Colbert and he couldn't care less about any of his previous work. He's one of those people who just wants to show up on set, say his lines, leave and that's it. He wasn't even at the 20th reunion, which is an extra on the old blu ray.

Anyway, I was watching the old blu ray recently, and in the restoration notes in the blu ray, it say that the old blu ray is actually sourced from a 4K scan as well. Except it's a 4K scan of the interpositive. Will be interesting to see how much a 4K scan of the original negative will improve the existing blu ray.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:42 AM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2012

Ah, a great X-Men TAS episode indeed.

Thanks given by:
InGen (07-15-2018), postmodel (04-24-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
I was expecting this. I was watching Spader's recent appearance on Colbert and he couldn't care less about any of his previous work. He's one of those people who just wants to show up on set, say his lines, leave and that's it. He wasn't even at the 20th reunion, which is an extra on the old blu ray.
What a bizarre, kind of fascinating interview that was.

Seemed like Spader mainly didn't want to talk about Pretty in Pink or the #MeToo movement in relation to John Hughes movies. I don't blame him there.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America