Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

A Perfect Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 day ago
Train to Busan (Blu-ray)
$15.99
2 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$14.98
22 hrs ago
The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Tonewinner...yeah, Chinese..but

I'm curious. I'm good on power amps, but Summithifi USA has the Tonewinner 7 channel 300w/p all channels driven into 8ohms for sale at $1300 I could have bought two of those and had change left over for what I paid for my MC8207.
It's a good looking amp - I will say that. I just wish we had a professional review.
https://summithifiusa.com/collection...00pa-amplifier
Thanks given by:
gotmule (03-02-2021), Scarriere (03-02-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #2

Dec 2007

I see 180x7 all channels driven, but still looks pretty nice, especially with both XLR and RCA inputs.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #3

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrasticPlastic View Post
I see 180x7 all channels driven, but still looks pretty nice, especially with both XLR and RCA inputs.
I stand corrected!!!! Good catch!!! but your also correct that it looks pretty nice and the extra touch of having XLR in's ....yes very nice!
I'm happy with my MC8207 - but this has me thinking if anything drastic should happen. I also found a review on YouTube and the guy is pretty reliable. Spec of Tech
He's recently reviewed the Anthem AVM70 vs the Marantz AV7706 as well.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

Dec 2007
Default Tonewinner introduces a sub $1300 prepro

Tonewinner is at it again!!! Just saw the review for the Tonewinner prepro at $1199 with XLR's (however it only has 1 xlr for subs if you need more you will have to use the RCAs...but every othe channel has XLRs). It also has Atmos and DTS-X. The room correction is proprietary (Tonewinner's own) but it comes with a hefty calibration mic ...although that could have been thought out better as well (XLR-to 1/4 to 3.5) however - $1199!!!! Ok here's the link to an initial review:
Old 03-08-2021, 02:43 PM   #5

Dec 2007

So for the price of a Marantz AV7706 I could have a Tonewinner Prepro and a 7 channel power amp.....not bad (however the AV7706 is in another league when it comes to features - as it should).
Old 03-09-2021, 04:31 PM   #6
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I saw that too three days ago; it's missing Auro-3D ...
Old 03-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
I saw that too three days ago; it's missing Auro-3D ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5wO...ature=youtu.be
Yeah - it's missing Auro-3d but how many actually configure their systems for Auro 3D? I thought about it, until I realized that I would lose a subwoofer input (I would have to split the output as the Auro 3d uses the secondary Sub output for the VOG channel).
You can't find a prepro with balanced output (or a receiver at that matter) for less than $2000.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:55 PM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

It needs to be reviewed by Audio Science Review (Amir) to get an objective point of view.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #9

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
It needs to be reviewed by Audio Science Review (Amir) to get an objective point of view.
Agreed. Although the guy who's putting Tonewinner out there happens to be named Amir as well.
Audio Science Review is very honest concerning measurements. I was happy to see the Topping dacs highly rated.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #10

Dec 2007

I saw this pre-pro vid when he released it and it does look extremely promising. It does have atmos, but doesn't appear to have dts x pro, which makes no sense given how many channels it has, and so far there's no mention of it having upmixers like dolby surround and dts neural x, but I would guess it will have those when it's officially released. I'm in the market for a pre/pro with at least 13 channels, and I don't need xlr so I'm keeping an eye on this. I'm interested to see how their proprietary room correction works and if it also gives you the opportunity to curtain the correction like you can using the audyssey app. I have 3 subs, but I only use RCA connections anyhow, not to mention I'm also using a minidsp so I only need 1 sub out anyhow, but I know this won't be the case for many. The small form factor makes sense to me as well and leaves me wondering why so many pre/pros on the market now are as big as they are, without the amps in them, why do they need to be so tall? The HTP-1 is on the smaller side, but it's more than I'm looking to spend. I probably won't be in the market to buy a processor until next year, so we'll see how this pans out, otherwise I'm strongly considering the Anthem AVM-70.
Thanks given by:
prerich (03-26-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
I'm strongly considering the Anthem AVM-70.
Make sure you research before doing that.
I've read the whole thread over at AVS on the new MRX avrs and it ain't pretty.
I wanted one, 540 or 740, but sure the heck won't be getting one now.
I'll stick with the good sound and reliability of Yamaha.
Thanks given by:
prerich (03-26-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
I saw this pre-pro vid when he released it and it does look extremely promising. It does have atmos, but doesn't appear to have dts x pro, which makes no sense given how many channels it has, and so far there's no mention of it having upmixers like dolby surround and dts neural x, but I would guess it will have those when it's officially released. I'm in the market for a pre/pro with at least 13 channels, and I don't need xlr so I'm keeping an eye on this. I'm interested to see how their proprietary room correction works and if it also gives you the opportunity to curtain the correction like you can using the audyssey app. I have 3 subs, but I only use RCA connections anyhow, not to mention I'm also using a minidsp so I only need 1 sub out anyhow, but I know this won't be the case for many. The small form factor makes sense to me as well and leaves me wondering why so many pre/pros on the market now are as big as they are, without the amps in them, why do they need to be so tall? The HTP-1 is on the smaller side, but it's more than I'm looking to spend. I probably won't be in the market to buy a processor until next year, so we'll see how this pans out, otherwise I'm strongly considering the Anthem AVM-70.
That's why it's cheap. Those licensing fees add up. They have to pay Dolby, DTS, IMAX, Auro fees to include those features. Denon/Marantz can afford to include them because of their high volume sales.
Boutique brands like Emotiva, Anthem, Arcam, pass those fees onto the consumers. If you have the HTP-1, and you want the premium Dirac with the Bass Control, that's another $500 you have to pony up, to add on to the "free" Dirac they have installed, after paying the base $4k price tag.
Want that bass control feature built in?, Then you can purchase the AudioControl X7 and X9, but those start at $6,000. I wonder why.
Thanks given by:
prerich (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #13

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
What are the issues exactly? From what I've read on the AVM-70 the main issues are that ARC Genesis is/was still in beta, which I believe it's out of beta now. The hardware seems pretty solid, and nobody is complaining of poor sound quality. I likely won't make a purchase until next year, so hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy they will be including an HDMI board that supports HDMI 2.1

I've looked at Yamaha Pre/Pros, but none of them support more than 11 channels, which is the main reason I'm upgrading, I need at least 13.1 and want something a bit nicer or better sounding than what I can get from a Denon/Marantz, not that there is any thing wrong with either of those.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #14

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
ARC issues are real....One of the reasons I have the Marantz AV7706....especially since I already had the Audyssey App when I had the Denon X4300H, so I could tailor XT32 with no problems.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jul 2008
Gastonia, NC. USA

I'm very happy with my ToneWinner AD-7300PA Version 2.0 Hi-End Audio 7-Channel Power Amplifier. Works awesome pair with the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 9.2 Channel Receiver.

I can highly recommend it

Regards,
Thanks given by:
prerich (03-26-2021), Scarriere (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #16

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperezmore View Post
I'm very happy with my ToneWinner AD-7300PA Version 2.0 Hi-End Audio 7-Channel Power Amplifier. Works awesome pair with the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 9.2 Channel Receiver.

I can highly recommend it

Regards,
Very attractive piece of equipment indeed!!!!!
Great updates on the flooring and adding a rug!!!
Thanks given by:
sperezmore (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #17

Dec 2007

Quote:
No it doesn't have DTS-X Pro....neither does the Marantz AV7706 (will it get it via an firmware update). The HTP-1 is going for $4k right? That's almost three times the price of this prepro. For the price theirs a lot offered with this prepro. My Marantz has more features but cost twice as much.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
No it doesn't have DTS-X Pro....neither does the Marantz AV7706 (will it get it via an firmware update). The HTP-1 is going for $4k right? That's almost three times the price of this prepro. For the price theirs a lot offered with this prepro. My Marantz has more features but cost twice as much.
You mentioned you had a Denon 4300 before you got the Marantz 7706... I currently have a 4300, do you find the sound quality and/or channel separation to be noticeably better when going from the receiver to the pre/pro?
Old 03-30-2021, 07:23 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Quote:
You mentioned you had a Denon 4300 before you got the Marantz 7706... I currently have a 4300, do you find the sound quality and/or channel separation to be noticeably better when going from the receiver to the pre/pro?
Better ...however that's to be expected, I'm not using RCA's , I've gone totally XLR for connection to my power amps.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems