Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Running Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
All Quiet on the Western Front 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
20 hrs ago
The Godfather Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.45
1 day ago
To Love Ru: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$73.96
1 hr ago
Shazam! Fury of the Gods 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
The Sorrow and the Pity (Blu-ray)
$24.80
20 hrs ago
Superman I-IV 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$97.99
 
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.99
 
The Italian Job 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.14
1 day ago
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #241
wooble89 wooble89 is offline
Senior Member
 
wooble89's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Scotland
1083
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffdale View Post

Not on DVD region 2. We have 4/3.
UK DVD of season 2 was definitely 16:9.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #242
Buffdale Buffdale is offline
Expert Member
 
Buffdale's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
France
407
1319
45
Default

In this case, I hate my country (France) ha ha ! I don't understand ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #243
samukas samukas is online now
Expert Member
 
Mar 2010
Germany
-
-
-
541
Default

Portugal and Poland for example also got Season 2 in 4:3 on DVD.
I have both the Portuguese and the UK version (the UK is definitely 16:9, yes).
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #244
Buffdale Buffdale is offline
Expert Member
 
Buffdale's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
France
407
1319
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post
Portugal and Poland for example also got Season 2 in 4:3 on DVD.
I have both the Portuguese and the UK version (the UK is definitely 16:9, yes).
Oh thank you, I wondered if I was crazy ha ha ! It's pretty weird... Season 2 is my favorite on top of that!

ヴェルサーチ (Slayer Revival Forum's member) achieved this comparison. This belongs to him. As I mentioned I hope this is the low quality of the video that gives that Strong DNR impression...

3IuyN4R.jpg

Bn5dQ0B.jpg

Last edited by Deciazulado; 09-18-2014 at 09:59 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #245
EddieLarkin EddieLarkin is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
EddieLarkin's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
377
3559
906
1
Default

Season 2 is the season where Angel gets his reflection back:




And where random set dressers are just chilling off to the side when the fabric of space-time is being disrupted:



Correct 4:3 versions:

http://i.imgur.com/fZRn4aI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bMo2RVF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZMjdLHJ.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #246
willbfree willbfree is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
willbfree's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
3
468
1
4
Default

Reflections, boom mics etc can easily be cloned out now, so it doesn't really factor in as a problem if they choose to go widescreen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #247
GenPion GenPion is online now
Blu-ray.com Reviewer
 
GenPion's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Texas
656
4100
3
246
Default

Personally, I really hope they release is 4:3 on Blu-ray. I mean, Joss Whedon even wrote a note about how it should be in 4:3 full frame because it was how everyone who worked on it wanted it framed, and he even mentions the wide-screen DVD's from other countries but basically dismisses them.

If not 4:3 as the only option perhaps Fox could produce a set with both versions - sure, it would require a lot more discs, but then everyone can be happy. I hope for 4:3 though personally.

I also know there are supposed to be a lot of shots on Buffy with the boom-mics, errors, etc. (which aren't really even 'errors' as it was intended as 4:3). Friends being released on widescreen on Blu-ray... well, there were some errors, but a lot less than what has been described for Buffy and the creators of the show actually endorsed it.

Update: In some respects, those screencaps do make it seem better (not because of it being in Widescreen), but it also does give off the strong appearance of DNR. Hopefully it's just the low quality of the video itself (and won't look like that on Blu-ray).

Last edited by GenPion; 08-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #248
Drewbee87 Drewbee87 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Drewbee87's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
8
266
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
Look, i'm a purist through and through, but Buffy is one of the very few shows where it's 'wrong' aspect ratio doesn't harm it. At least to me. I haven't seen the boom mic's and crew members that other people have mentioned, and yeah, I can see that theres extra space sometimes but it never takes me out. If anything, I think it heightens the show more cinematic content. The only episode where the 16:9 stretch was an issue was The Body, because it's such an intimate episode and the framing is very meticulous and deliberate, the 16:9 sort of undermines the intent a bit. But for everything else it actually works, which is surprising for a show not protected for the ratio.

Angel would look boss in true HD. It's even more cinematic than Buffy, and from season 3 and onwards it's actually shot and protected for widescreen.

Did the first HD episode broadcast yesterday??
The Body is one of the episodes I loved more in 16:9...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #249
blahsi blahsi is offline
Expert Member
 
Apr 2011
38
228
7
Default

I've said this on the X-Files page and I'll say it here. If it can be done correctly then it should be done in 16x9. All that Buffy required was some framing correction. If anything, they could release it in widescreen for streaming and syndication and 4x3 for purists. I personally enjoyed watching this show in widescreen on Netflix. Felt more cinematic despite the errors.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #250
Drewbee87 Drewbee87 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Drewbee87's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
8
266
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
Season 2 is the season where Angel gets his reflection back:




And where random set dressers are just chilling off to the side when the fabric of space-time is being disrupted:



Correct 4:3 versions:

http://i.imgur.com/fZRn4aI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bMo2RVF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZMjdLHJ.jpg
There have alway been issues with Vampires & reflections on Angel. You can see the Vampire Angel kicks out of the building in the windows while he's falling when all you should see is a ball of fire. And reflections aren't the only issues just look at all these:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/picture66175

Last edited by Drewbee87; 08-20-2014 at 03:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #251
simonynwa simonynwa is offline
Active Member
 
simonynwa's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Nomadic
214
1072
20
151
70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsi View Post
I've said this on the X-Files page and I'll say it here. If it can be done correctly then it should be done in 16x9. All that Buffy required was some framing correction. If anything, they could release it in widescreen for streaming and syndication and 4x3 for purists. I personally enjoyed watching this show in widescreen on Netflix. Felt more cinematic despite the errors.
I love this excuse. What does "more cinematic" actually mean ? Glad you also think the frame which has been composed by the filmmakers needs "correcting" to suite your screen.

Buffy is 4x3 through and through - it doesn't even have the "excuse" of protection for widescreen (which is complete bullshit anyway) given Whedon's actual stated preference for 4x3.

This is where I hope Bluray will become a niche product for purists eventually and TV and Netflix for the masses can have their cropped TV filled version and everyone be happy. Unfortunately it will probably also mean less product for Bluray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #252
simonynwa simonynwa is offline
Active Member
 
simonynwa's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Nomadic
214
1072
20
151
70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
Look, i'm a purist through and through
No you are most definitely not, given your argument.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #253
willbfree willbfree is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
willbfree's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
3
468
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava_Lander View Post
Yeah, it's the same reason Star Trek TNG is released in 4:3, there's so much crap around the sides it'd be extraordinarily expensive to have corrected on each shot from every episode.
For ST:TNG that was the case, but there are so few shots in Buffy and Angel that have mics etc that fans have pretty much already identified every shot that needs a slight zoom to correct. It will be easy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #254
Buffdale Buffdale is offline
Expert Member
 
Buffdale's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
France
407
1319
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naelst View Post
I contacted both Pivot and FOX. I wonder if they'll reply.
Did you get any answers ?

Season 2 of Angel in 16:9 does not look great after all ... Let's say it's like Buffy (seasons 4-7) here.

I really hope that Buffy's season 1 will be 16: 9 on television, but 4:3 on Blu-Ray ! Please Fox !
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #255
blahsi blahsi is offline
Expert Member
 
Apr 2011
38
228
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonynwa View Post
I love this excuse. What does "more cinematic" actually mean ? Glad you also think the frame which has been composed by the filmmakers needs "correcting" to suite your screen.

Buffy is 4x3 through and through - it doesn't even have the "excuse" of protection for widescreen (which is complete bullshit anyway) given Whedon's actual stated preference for 4x3.

This is where I hope Bluray will become a niche product for purists eventually and TV and Netflix for the masses can have their cropped TV filled version and everyone be happy. Unfortunately it will probably also mean less product for Bluray.
Not an excuse, just an opinion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #256
kngtmat kngtmat is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kngtmat's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl
26
313
2
1
Default

I keep hearing they intended it to be 4x3. It's done in 4x3 because they had to do it since they had no choice and not exactly because everyone wanted it that way.


That note was just placed in it in case people wondered why it's not in widescreen at the time when about everything was widescreen then. Even that note says he likes widescreen and that it was kept 4x3 because of traditional TV's. But I think when the release came out part of the reason is he just wanted to be consistent with the previous releases.

I do find it odd he changed his mind for Angel. I guess it was because only the first season was out already at the time in 4x3 so it wasn't as far into series DVD's as Buffy.



Also I have seen so many films with things your not supposed to see that have never bothered me. In fact it's a fun thing like DVD Easter Eggs but on screen as your watching the film. Like John Carpenter's smoke in Halloween and the not so well hidden wrench in Michael's hand as he breaks the station wagons window.

Or even Robb Tapert seen in Evil Dead and stage top being above Bruce's head when he's running around the Cabin in ED2. Maximum Overdrive had camera crew in a reflection of the red Caddy and the camera shadow on the ATM screen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #257
kngtmat kngtmat is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kngtmat's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl
26
313
2
1
Default

I agree. Personally I don't care if it's either since many players like my LG can do 16:9 that shows it boxed and then 16:9 stretched brings 4x3 to both sides of the screen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #258
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonynwa View Post
No you are most definitely not, given your argument.
Hang on a sec, mate, no need to get shirty, yeah?

Would I prefer Buffy release in 4:3? Yes, I already said so. But it's also not exactly a travesty to have on 16:9, is it? I think that we are likely to get seasons 1-3 in 4:3 and there rest in 16:9. I'm just happy that the show has gotten a high definition upgrade when everybody else said it was unlikely to happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #259
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
IIRC Whedon himself gave the go ahead for Angel S2 to be in widescreen; note that he maintained Buffy's 4:3 aspect ratio throughout on US home video but for Angel S2 he went with 16:9. While there are still a few framing errors in S2, some shots also work very well and by the end of the season you can see that they're starting to actually compose for 16:9, the last episode in particular.

Who gives a shit any more though, it's BUFFY IN HD, BABY!!!!
Yeah, Angel post season 1 always felt right with in widescreen, more so than Buffy, and yes, that includes season 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #260
theprestige85 theprestige85 is offline
Banned
 
Jan 2013
146
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee87 View Post
There have alway been issues with Vampires & reflections on Angel. You can see the Vampire Angel kicks out of the building in the windows while he's falling when all you should see is a ball of fire. And reflections aren't the only issues just look at all these:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/picture66175
I don't understand what you lot get out of posting goofs? Name me one film/tv show that doesn't have goofs? What the hell is the point in posting those images? I rarely notice such things and I don't want to..can't we just be happy about the fact that we're getting Buffy in proper high def???????
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
naelst (08-20-2014)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 PM.