Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
1 hr ago
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
7 hrs ago
Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
Justice League vs the Fatal Five (Blu-ray)
$18.99
13 hrs ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Seagal 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Default Problem getting THX 1138 to play! HELP!

Anyone else having problems playing the blu-ray? I get stuck at the loading screen with the disc. I upgraded my firmwire figuring that would solve it, but no luck. I can't get it to play. Any ideas? I saw another thread where someone had problems and said they solved it because the movie required an SD card to play, but that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

(btw, I have a Sony BDP-S350, if that's relevant)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Blure View Post
Anyone else having problems playing the blu-ray? I get stuck at the loading screen with the disc. I upgraded my firmwire figuring that would solve it, but no luck. I can't get it to play. Any ideas? I saw another thread where someone had problems and said they solved it because the movie required an SD card to play, but that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

If I remember correctly this BD requires a bit more of internal storage due to the intricate menus or something like this, so you should either erase your internal storage or plug in a USB stick. I hope that'll solve your problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #3

Jul 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I have a 2GB flash drive in my BDP-S350 and it took forever for the movie to load, I didn't think the movie would ever start, but it did & I just finished watching it, and it looks great!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #4

Sep 2010

Same problem on my lg bd570...

Guess I'll try the usb stick trick tonight.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #5

May 2010
Brazil

I donīt have the movie, but Iīve read in a couple reviews that the problem is because the menus are complex and all that, so usb sticks will probably solve the problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
Expert Member

Mar 2010

1GB SD Card did the trick for me
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #7

Oct 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Default USB-stick trick works with my Sony player

I can confirm that this works with the Sony BDP-S360. I tried the USB stick trick, and now THX 1138 plays OK. I have used this player with over a hundred different BDs during the last year without any problems, until now. I'll leave the stick there as I suppose this will become a more and more common issue. I have to say I prefer simple menus that load right away - Eureka for instance. I mean what are we there for - the menu or the movie?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #8

Apr 2009
SF Bay Area, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marienbad View Post
I can confirm that this works with the Sony BDP-S360. I tried the USB stick trick, and now THX 1138 plays OK. I have used this player with over a hundred different BDs during the last year without any problems, until now. I'll leave the stick there as I suppose this will become a more and more common issue. I have to say I prefer simple menus that load right away - Eureka for instance. I mean what are we there for - the menu or the movie?
Apparently we are here to watch whatever the movie studios decide they want to inflict on us, including forced trailers & advertisements before we get to see the movie we purchased. I really hate these Universal titles that immediately connect to the internet to download trailers - and then also includes an advertising pop-up in the upper right hand corner of the menu screen. The only way around this stuff is to completely disable BD-Live in the player apparently, which means we then cannot access BD-Live features we actually want to see after watching the movie.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Banned

May 2008
Default You'll need a usb stick to watch this movie.

I tried to play this disc in my lg bd570 and it never loaded. Stuck in a 16 gig usb stick and it loaded in about 15 seconds.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

Oct 2008
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Blure View Post
Any ideas? I saw another thread where someone had problems and said they solved it because the movie required an SD card to play, but that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you need help then the answer of using a USB stick does makes SENSE....USB at least 2GB, preferably the skinny ones like Sony has (of course), for the port is deep
Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Hey,

This one's easy,... Just check that everything in your system is THX certified.

To play this you need a THX certified Blu Ray player feeding a THX certified AVR to a THX certified display that has it's THX mode engaged.

And,... You have to use Ultra, Supra, Gouge-ya, Ultimate THX certified HDMI cables and THX Moster Power Conditioners.

If you got all that... it should not only play but it will be freakin awesome!

Last edited by bhampton; 01-05-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #12

Dec 2011

I tried the USB stick trick with 14GB available and still no success. I also tired an external HD and a 2GB flash stick. My player is a Sony BDP-S480. Any other ideas out there?
Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #13

Dec 2011
Default Same problem as you!

Hi Don
Just got THX on blu ray and it is not loading up , despite the usb (2gig) in the machine. How did you get yours to load? I have the same player as you.

Mark

UK
Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #14

Aug 2008
Tucson, AZ

I have a Sony BD350 and the THX-1138 disc would not load after 6 minutes. After reading this thread I inserted a 1GB USB drive and it loaded in under a minute. I have never had this problem with any disc -- until now.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #15

Feb 2010

For your information, I also got this problem with my two Panasonic players : a REGION A "DMP-BD75", and a REGION B "DMP-BD60".
I'll try the trick with the USB stick !
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #16

Jul 2012

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
I had the same problem with a Panasonic DMP-BD60. It doesn't accept USB memory (although it will read files from a USB stick). Eventually, I followed the instructions on how to set up for BDLive by inserting an SD card, and this also cured the load problem with THX 1138.

In the meantime, however, I came up with another solution which may be of use to others - I found that ripping an *.iso of the disc via AnyDVD, checking the options to "remove prohibited user operations", "remove annoying adverts and trailers" and "remove video sequences shorter than one minute" gave me a disc that would work without any memory plugged into the player. Curiously, the menus look exactly the same in this ripped version as they do in the original, so it's not clear to me why the original required memory in the first place!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #17

Feb 2011
Thumbs up Thx 1138

Had the same issue...Sony player. Tried the USB stick trick (2 GB). This time I could actually hear the disc loading. I got the menu up in less than 30 seconds. Complex menu? I think not...looks pretty basic to me. Thanks for the tip though, never had a problem like this before.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #18

Feb 2012
Default OLD player plays it, but new ones don't!

I've used a Sony 3D blu-ray player, and an LG 3D blu-ray player, which was manufactured AFTER the THX 1138 blu-ray, and neither one would ever load the disc. I got my old Sony 2007 BDP S300 back from my ex-wife, and IT LOADED THE DISC! That makes little to no sense to me, that an older piece of equipment loaded it, but newer equipment wouldn't. Oh, well. I'm just happy I can finally watch THX 1138 in high definition. Now I just have to get an HDMI switchbox, so I can have two blu-ray players and an HD DVD player hooked up to my television.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrick2899 View Post
I've used a Sony 3D blu-ray player, and an LG 3D blu-ray player, which was manufactured AFTER the THX 1138 blu-ray, and neither one would ever load the disc. I got my old Sony 2007 BDP S300 back from my ex-wife, and IT LOADED THE DISC! That makes little to no sense to me, that an older piece of equipment loaded it, but newer equipment wouldn't. Oh, well. I'm just happy I can finally watch THX 1138 in high definition. Now I just have to get an HDMI switchbox, so I can have two blu-ray players and an HD DVD player hooked up to my television.
If it's like the UK release you may need to have a USB stick in the drive when loading the movie, if I remember the disc needs or attempts to store data and when it has no where to go it causes issues.

I'm not sure if that pertains to the US disc or not.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

I just watched this movie last week and had no problems on my oppo 103.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders