Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Mule 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The House with a Clock in Its Walls 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.94
17 hrs ago
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.71

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Default BenQ L6000 gives projector fans some hope of decent HDR

Apparently some bit of news overseas that BenQ will be releasing the L6000 laser projector in 2019 with 4200 lumens and 100% DCI P3 coverage, for under $15k. Edit: note that the DCI-P3 info was an error in some materials ,this will not reach full dci p3 coverage.

If this proves true it will be the first projector under 40k to both break the 4000 lumens mark and also cover full DCI P3 while being relatively affordable.

So maybe some hope of affordable decent HDR coming soon for pj fans.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #2
Power Member

Nov 2006
Pacific Northwest

Couple a JVC RS540 with a Panasonic UB820 for about a third of this and you'll get fantastic projector "HDR". There are already a lot of projectors that coupled with the right tone mapping will give fantastic results in lots of different viewing environments.
Thanks given by:
ronboster (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 02:01 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

I take it the benq will still be faux 4k resolution though?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 AM   #4
Power Member

Nov 2006
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
I take it the benq will still be faux 4k resolution though?
Correct, though the XPR process does a very good job emulating a native 4K display. It is the least of the concerns I have with the DLP projectors. And since single chip DLP is already extremely sharp, when coupled with a high quality lens it looks fantastic.

The biggest issues I've seen with the DLP 4K projectors is their HDR implementation (poor tone mapping), poor contrast (inherent with DLP unfortunately), calibrated brightness levels are typically WAY lower than advertised lumens, and limited gamut coverage. But I would LOVE to see some new designs that make big gains in these departments!
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Couple a JVC RS540 with a Panasonic UB820 for about a third of this and you'll get fantastic projector "HDR". There are already a lot of projectors that coupled with the right tone mapping will give fantastic results in lots of different viewing environments.
I hear you and I know this is a popular setup but I am not a fan for a couple reasons.

First, I'm done with lamp projectors, after decade+ of using lamps I just don't want to deal with them anymore - I like the easy on/off, no lamp strikes, no worries approach of solid state. So anything with a lamp is not even something I'd consider, I've gotten too used to solid state pjs.

Second re: LCOS- on the last JVC I demo'd (RS600) the motion was not as fluid and natural as the SONY LCOS projectors. I don't mean with any FI or anything, I mean just the core motion with everything off looked more like DLP with the Sony's than the JVCs. The Sony LCOS seems pretty darn close to DLP motion.

Third, I like the way the Sonys reproduce shadow detail better than the JVCs, even though the JVCs can get deeper blacks.

Fourth, the JVC's e-shift on their 1080p units - while far better than Epson's - is still nowhere near DLP's XPR shift (which I'm 100% satisfied with) in producing something that looks like a native 4k picture.

Fifth, and this pretty much applies to most/all consumer projectors under $40k, the whole idea of just using lots of tone mapping to make the picture watchable on a low lumens projector bothers me due to the lack of tonemapping standards. I feel like we have regressed from reproducing what is on the disc as accurately as possible to making the picture look as "good" as possible since the hardware can't reproduce the disc without very heavy tonemapping; like, how much of what we are watching after tonemapping is actually Panasonic's vision, or Oppo's vision, instead of the studio's vision when they mastered the disc? Tonemapping has so many variables that it seems with the amount needed for the typical projector it would be impossible to get something that is fully accurate to source intent. But this is something mostly unavoidable, yet I am still on the lookout for high lumens consumer pjs - and hence where I was going with this thread.

The best answer right now would be to buy a Sony laser, but those are $25k+ which is ridiculous (seems Sony especially price gouges US customers based on international pricing). So I will continue to scope out what is offered by BenQ, Optoma, and Epson as these are the only companies that seem to even be making an effort in offering affordable solid state 4K projectors. If BenQ's new HT9060 can mimic the performance of the DPI Cine LED 1000 except with 4K HDR 3D & brighter, I'd be totally satisfied with that; but given how rushed and feature-lacking their software was for the HT9050 I'm definitely not buying anywhere remotely near launch.

Also, the projector of the thread title is not coming to US shores. The specs that came out with it were wrong, anyway, though so its not as exciting as it initially looked.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-14-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology