Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.44
2 hrs ago
The Mule 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
19 hrs ago
Reign of the Supermen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.71

Aircraft Carrier: Guardian of the Seas 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 04-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

Jul 2016
Default Does Sony have 4K UHD universal disc player?

Can't seem to find one? All I see is 4K streaming, but nothing definite about 4K UHD disc player. Does it have analog outputs and play SACDs? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_MD View Post
Can't seem to find one? All I see is 4K streaming, but nothing definite about 4K UHD disc player. Does it have analog outputs and play SACDs? Thanks.
The Sony X800 plays SACD over HDMI.

IMO you open yourself to far more options (and as a result much better sound) if you use digital DSD files (or hi-res PCM) via USB off an HTPC or streaming NAS. Via that method, you can use high end DACs that outperform anything available in affordable "universal" players of the same price range.

Last edited by Ruined; 04-07-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
You will find significantly better sound quality via HDMI if you keep the DSD bitstream in that domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

IMO you open yourself to far more options (and as a result much better sound) if you use digital DSD files (or hi-res PCM) via USB off an HTPC or streaming NAS. Via that method, you can use high end DACs that outperform anything available in affordable "universal" players of the same price range.
That's incorrect, as the Sony X800 also supports DSD bitstream and FLAC files via USB. See the file support section of the user manual for confirmation of this. BTW, I will NOT pay £2000.00. for one of those bloody "high end" DAC's you mention.

My only query of this, is will the X800 also support multi-channel DSD and FLAC files, as well?

I've asked this question twice over the past year, with no response.

Last edited by Iain-; 04-07-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post
That's incorrect, as the Sony X800 also supports DSD bitstream and FLAC files via USB.
What I mean is you open yourself to far more options if you use DSD/PCM files streamed over USB to an external DAC; I am not talking about using DSD/PCM files with the X800. Usually if you use a SACD physical disc if you want true DSD sound you need to use the player's internal digital to analog circuitry, as often even when bitstreaming DSD over HDMI most receivers that get the signal do a PCM conversion prior to playback and hence you lose true DSD - when this DSD > PCM conversion happens the result often ends up inferior to simply using a hi-res PCM file in the first place.

Quote:
See the file support section of the user manual for confirmation of this. BTW, I will NOT pay £2000.00. for one of those bloody "high end" DAC's you mention.
The Musical Fidelity MX-DAC can be had for under £600 and supports true DSD reproduction via USB. Sure, if you step up to their higher end M6-SDAC it will be £1699, but IMO even the MX-DAC offers far better fidelity than the digital to analog sections of universal players under £2500. I had (and sold) the Oppo HA-1 and currently have the Oppo BDP95, neither one comes even remotely close to the MX DAC/MX HPA in my listening tests using various headphones. I actually even liked the $499 Parasound zDAC v2 better than Oppo's high end offerings, but that one doesn't do DSD.

Quote:
My only query of this, is will the X800 also support multi-channel DSD and FLAC files, as well?
This I don't know the answer to.

Last edited by Ruined; 04-07-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Expert Member

Feb 2007

Sony UBP-X1000ES

DVD/HD/UHD - analog outputs - SACD

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...specifications

"UHD, DVD, CD, SACD and Blu-ray 3D. It features video streaming in full 4K resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR)"

"Dolby Atmos 3D and DTS:X object–based surround, and the it’s 32-bit DAC audio processor supports high-resolution DSD (up to 11.2 MHz) and LPCM (up to 192 kHz) files"

"The UBP-X1000ES offers dual HDMI outputs with independent audio and video signal paths, has two-channel analog and digital coaxial connections."

Quote:

Last edited by jibucha; 04-07-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (01-13-2019)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
What I mean is you open yourself to far more options if you use DSD/PCM files streamed over USB to an external DAC; I am not talking about using DSD/PCM files with the X800. Usually if you use a SACD physical disc if you want true DSD sound you need to use the player's internal digital to analog circuitry, as often even when bitstreaming DSD over HDMI most receivers that get the signal do a PCM conversion prior to playback and hence you lose true DSD - when this DSD > PCM conversion happens the result often ends up inferior to simply using a hi-res PCM file in the first place.
... .
DSD bitstream decimation to PCM is trivial, compared to what you get by conversion to analogue by some sort of third party process. Done right, you will not notice any difference between DSD bitstream and it's decimated to PCM result.

HDMI is significantly more robust than analogue.

What makes the most difference in sound quality, are the recording venue acoustics and the recording and mastering process. Done well, the end result will be stunning, whether DSD or PCM masters are involved.

You might be surprised to learn that most of the time PCM is the predominate mastering format and that DSD is but a required wrapper to enclose the PCM master to some sort of physical medium.

Here's the website for Merging Technologies. They produce the recording kit that all the major SA-CD studios use for their end product.

http://www.merging.com/

Last edited by Iain-; 04-08-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: changed link to Company. Home page
Old 04-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
Sony UBP-X1000ES

DVD/HD/UHD - analog outputs - SACD

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...specifications

"UHD, DVD, CD, SACD and Blu-ray 3D. It features video streaming in full 4K resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR)"

"Dolby Atmos 3D and DTS:X objectĖbased surround, and the itís 32-bit DAC audio processor supports high-resolution DSD (up to 11.2 MHz) and LPCM (up to 192 kHz) files"

"The UBP-X1000ES offers dual HDMI outputs with independent audio and video signal paths, has two-channel analog and digital coaxial connections."
Wow, thanks! That looks like an OPPO killer. But $500, I'll need to save up.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:42 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:

You cannot output DSD from a SACD player over coax or toslink, only HDMI. That signal is encrypted. So what are you talking about here? Are you talking about circumventing this protection somehow? How are you copying them to USB?
Old 04-08-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
Expert Member

Feb 2007

i agree :: i always thought so, but what do i know?

(odd :: isn't it?)

Quote:
Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Looks like similar feature set but also it looks very cheap in comparison. Well, then again...the 203 is kind of basic under the hood as well. No way this Sony compares to the 205 in quality, though. Better parts, better design. I don't think there is a higher quality player out there yet. Not talking features. I'm sure there will be sub-$200 players with features the Oppo will end up lacking. It just means one is an older product.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-now-o...-dolby-vision/

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...on-thread.html
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology