Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Westworld: Season Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Mule 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League vs The Fatal Five 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
15 hrs ago
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
12 hrs ago
Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.71

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

The House with a Clock in Its Walls 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.78

The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #21

Feb 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I was restricting my lil' list to DI-finished movies but yes, the IMAX stuff in TDK was done up to 8K. Dunkirk's VFX was 6K. Anyone clock the one common denominator, DI or no DI, to all the mentioned movies?
NOLAAAAAAANNNNN

A lot of his effects are just removing wires, or subtly enhancing what’s already there because so much of the things he shoots is practical and because Nolan is Nolan, they can easily do 4K VFX. If the planes in Dunkirk were digital then it would be much more difficult and expensive, but no, they strapped a real camera to a real vintage plane and went with that.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #22
Power Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Quote:
4K VFX is rare for movies but not unheard of. Tomorrowland had 4K VFX. Sully had 4K VFX. Even something like American Hustle had 4K VFX.
I really wish the would release that on 4K UHD! That movie was beautifully shot!!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis21 View Post
I really wish the would release that on 4K UHD! That movie was beautifully shot!!
Knowing Disney I don't see them touching that one again, which is a shame as it is a beautiful movie. Luckily it has a GREAT Blu-ray, so it's not a huge loss.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #24
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusBD View Post
NOLAAAAAAANNNNN

A lot of his effects are just removing wires, or subtly enhancing what’s already there because so much of the things he shoots is practical and because Nolan is Nolan, they can easily do 4K VFX. If the planes in Dunkirk were digital then it would be much more difficult and expensive, but no, they strapped a real camera to a real vintage plane and went with that.
I meant Sully, American Hustle and Tomorrowland as well, not just Nolan's films you silly billy. What links them? No 3D...

But you're absolutely right that Nolan's movies aren't filled with wall-to-wall digital effects to begin with but again, this is WHY he can do >4K VFX within the same sort of post-production timescale that any other similarly budgeted flick with 2000+ VFX shots would struggle with. "Removing wires" is a vast oversimplification though, they had to remove the entire rig supporting The Bat from the ground in Dark Knight Rises, or the human performers who were puppeteering TARS and CASE throughout Interstellar, as well as creating all-digital versions for certain action shots. Then there's all the wormhole/giant wave stuff in that flick too.

For Dunkirk they did various bits to add ships out at sea, smoke over the horizon and stuff like that, along with adding digital landing gear underneath Farrier's Spitfire as he's furiously cranking it into place just a split second before he lands, the gear being inched down is all digital (until it "locks" into place) as it was too dangerous to try and time it for a real landing. The sinking of the hospital ship looks incredible, they actually rigged two cameras, one locked off and one moving down past the ship, and used the motion of the moving one to simulate the effect of it sinking in the final composite. But even the wire removal on that show was an absolute pain for things like the soldiers being flung about in explosions, it being done at 6K rez meant that the particles of sand were so fine and so numerous that just isolating the wires themselves from all that schmutz was very time consuming.
Thanks given by:
multiformous (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #25
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

I thought this was gonna be another "don't buy 2K DIs" thread but nah, this might be even dumber.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 AM   #26
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
I was restricting my lil' list to DI-finished movies but yes, the IMAX stuff in TDK was done up to 8K. Dunkirk's VFX was 6K. Anyone clock the one common denominator, DI or no DI, to all the mentioned movies?
That must have been awfully slow and expensive.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

Those of us with good gear and eyes that work, who jumped into blu-ray 4K/HDR on release, can easily tell you 2K DI vs 4K DI is DUMB. Both can look great, and both can look terrible...
Thanks given by:
Canada (02-14-2019), eddievanhalen (02-14-2019), sapiendut (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #28
Special Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Those of us with good gear and eyes that work, who jumped into blu-ray 4K/HDR on release, can easily tell you 2K DI vs 4K DI is DUMB. Both can look great, and both can look terrible...
Absolutely. I watched Venom today (I received the Zoom steelbook yesterday) which is a 2K DI upscaled to 4K and for me it looks great.
I don't keep track of 4K native UHD BD's and 2K upscales, I just trust my eyes to decide if I like what I'm seeing or not.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
2k di, digital intermediate