Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.40
15 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.16
8 hrs ago
Good Time (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
The World's End / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$13.18
7 hrs ago
War and Peace (Blu-ray)
$34.22
17 hrs ago
Ghosts of Mars (Blu-ray)
$8.99
5 hrs ago
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Black Swan (Blu-ray)
$4.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Mary Poppins Returns (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #41
Special Member

Feb 2012

It's trivial if you have a PC. Just get AnyDVD HD and then use the free MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR (and they have all sorts of super advanced upscaling options for blu-ray to 4K TV or DVD to HD or 4K TV, they upscale so much better than anything player or TV set does and you can control so many other things too). Or if you want to be simple about it, just get AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD. Blu-ray drives can be had for barely anything. Plus the software can decode any of the formats so you could use a high quality PC audio card and plug the analog outs into a multi-channel analog receiver and yet still have it handle DTS MA or TrueHD or whatnot and get equipment like that that gives good quality for way less than buying some many thousands of dollars worth of pre-amps and fancy receivers.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #42

Nov 2008

I own an OPPO BDP 103D, I got a special chip that I have installed in it (the warranty is over) Now I can watch any DVD or Blu-ray whatever the region locked or not. I got a few region B only movies and I can watch them. There is also a little trick. DVDFab can make a copy wich will be region free. You need a BD burner on your PC that can burn Double layer disc (wich are more expensive than single layer) but DVD Fab can compress a BD50 to a BD25 with a good quality picture. I do the later because some disc have a forced subtitles for the english version and it is blocked with a copy I can turn it off then.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #43

Jan 2009
Texas
-
-
-

I want to thank the OP for all the research and info posted here. I had pre-ordered Terminator 2 3D long before it was confirmed to be region B, and once I got it I, like many others on here, was unable to play it. After reading this thread and then the online manuals for both the DMP-BDT380EB and the cheaper DMP-BDT180EB I took a chance on the 180. I got the voltage converter on Amazon.com and the DMP-BDT180EB on Amazon.co.uk. I tried out Terminator 2 3D last night and it played on the 180 right out of the box. Now I can enjoy a whole slew of other region B films that were previously unavailable to me. Thanks again OP.
Thanks given by:
impasse (04-24-2018), mar3o (05-03-2018), rickmiddlebrooks (10-18-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #44

May 2013

Many thanks to the OP. I just bought a Panasonic DMP-UB300EBK 3D/4K player along with the Dynastar 300w power converter. I am now able to watch all the region B discs Iíve been buying. Time to start with a good Hammer Dracula.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (02-13-2019), mar3o (05-03-2018), rickmiddlebrooks (10-18-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 01:39 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

I bought one of those region free dongles for the BDP-93/95 years ago and it never worked. Or at least I could never figure it out, even WITH instructions. I never got it to play a single Region B release, trying to change the code at various times and button press speeds. Maybe it was a dud.

The only thing I was able to get working was region free DVD playback.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I just picked up an Oppo UDP-203 at the beginning of April, since Oppo announced they are ending production of their Blu-ray players. There are still 203 units in stock at Oppo and other retailers, but the UDP-205 models are pretty much sold out now. There has been a mad rush on buying up the Oppo players since the announcement, so if you have any desire at all for a 203 to easily install the Region free mod, better get one before you're done reading this post. I also own a BDP-93, which is already modded for Region Free with a kit I installed, but I wanted the 203 to have as backup for Region-free capabilities and 3D support.

Yes, this is a mod post, but the mod I got for the Oppo amounts to removing the top cover, inserting a single plug from the kit into an existing open connector on the main board, peeling the backing off a sticky tape strip on the bottom of the kit, and adhering it to the player chassis. A two minute job. Easy as pie.
Thanks given by:
stratford (03-13-2019)
Old 08-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #47

Oct 2011
Send a message via AIM to photosurrealism Send a message via Yahoo to photosurrealism

I use the iVid BD-780 (B&H seems to always have them), and it works well. It's region-selectable out of the box for both DVD (though you'll probably just put it on 0 and leave it) and BD. They supposedly make a 4K-upconverting unit (the 980) too, but I've not seen one in person.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #48

Jan 2012
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law212 View Post
I wanted to play Region B 3D movies (Terminator 2 3D) so my solution was to buy an LG Blu ray Re-Writer with 3D playback for my PC for $69.99 ( I ended up buying two of them ) and installed it, installed Power DVD 17 and set the software to region B.

Boom , Region B capability for 70 dollars. No waiting as I didnt have to order online, I just bought in store which is 5 minutes from my house.

That is a great idea! I need to try this to get Ratatouille in 3D!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #49

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I see more people lately asking what their options are for importing 3D region-locked discs from the UK, since some 3D titles are not getting a US release. This guide will help you out hopefully. Of course if you aren't interested in 3D, this guide will still still help you get yourself a nice region B player working on your US TV in no time.

Thanks to GrouchoDis's thread that first put the idea in my head, I realized there was an alternative to having to buy a region-modded player in order to play region B discs. As long as you don't mind having 2 players (your current region A player and your new region B player), this will provide you the means to play all your region B discs, guaranteed! No worrying about some discs not working with the mod, or worrying about breaking the mod with an update (which does happen if you read the forums).

One of the most annoying aspects of looking in the region-free shops is not only the prices, but the ages of the players. Many of the region-modded players are older models, some ranging back to 2011. It's hard to find more recent players unless you're looking at an expensive Oppo which can be modded yourself easily with a dongle.

But can you buy a region B player from the UK that will work in the US? Thanks to GrouchoDis, I discovered the answer is YES! But you need to be sure of 2 things:

1) If your TV is like many US TVs, it can't display PAL. If it can't, you need to be sure the player can convert PAL>NTSC for playing PAL DVDs and PAL blu-ray extras.

2) You need to make sure the player can support 110v US power (most UK players won't - they're 220v)

So I looked at my options, did my research, and searched for a player on Amazon.co.uk. I needed 3D. I wanted a recent model player. Ideally I wanted a front display, though most US players no longer have them. 4k upscaling was desirable. It should have a USB port for media playback. And of course the most important requirement - the player needs to support converting between PAL<>NTSC, since my TV does not display 50Hz/PAL content. Could I find all this at an affordable price?

Yup! The "Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB 3D Smart Blu-Ray Player" was the solution to my region B problems. It featured all the above requirements. It's a recent 2016 model player. It's a snazzy looking player. And it's very similar to my Panasonic region A BDT460. That player is outstanding, so this player should perform similarly.

So what did I end up needing to purchase to make this work? Only two things:

1) The player: £83 ($112) shipped
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMP-BDT380EB-Smart-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B01CEE1OYA/

2) A voltage transformer/converter: $25-$30
https://www.amazon.com/Dynastar-Converter-Transformer-Lifetime-5-Year-Warranty/dp/B00KAJ8KG2/
http://www.220-electronics.com/100-watt-diamond-series-deluxe-voltage-converter.html

The voltage transformer takes your 110v AC power and adapts it to 220v for the UK player. Just plug the UK player into the transformer, set the input switch to 110v, plug it into the wall socket, and turn the transformer on. The transformer I linked to is a high-quality transformer rated for sensitive electronics. It needs to be 3 times the wattage rating of the player to be safe - the Panasonic is rated at 18 watts, so the 100-watt transformer is fine. It's silent and fairly small so you can just hide it away behind something.

So I received the player today and I hooked it up to my LG TV, which can't display PAL. I then plugged it into my transformer, and powered it up. I turned on the player, and it immediately popped up the main menu, output as NTSC by default! I made sure the video output was set to 1080p, and enabled 24p playback. I then popped in a region-B-locked disc, and it immediately played the studio logo and went to the main menu. I then played some extras I know are in PAL, and sure enough it converted the PAL to NTSC and I was watching it on my LG!

So total cost of my region B player and the converter - around $140 shipped! $140 for guaranteed region B playback, including 3D and PAL>NTSC conversion. I see no reason why anybody would need an expensive, older-model player, unless they only have space or ports for a single player. I hope this helps some of you out who are in the same boat I have been in for the past couple months. Of course other players could also work out for you as well - just be sure it converts PAL to NTSC if your TV can't display PAL, and be sure to buy the transformer.

A couple quick notes - currently Amazon UK is out of stock on the player, so they link to 3rd party sellers that don't ship to the US. If you click under "other sellers on amazon", you'll see Amazon listed there. That's where you want to order - don't try to buy from a 3rd party because they won't ship to the US. Also, the 100-watt transformer is out of stock currently, as it's not even listed on Amazon now, but you can buy the 300-watt for $30, or buy the 100-watt directly from 220-electronics.

* The Panasonic player I linked to defaults to NTSC output out of the box. Pressing OK on the remote control for more than 5 seconds switches from PAL to NTSC or vice versa. If you just want it to convert PAL to NTSC you don't need to do anything - just play your discs!
You can get a region free player on Bombay electronics or 220 electronics for $99, though. (And that means regions A, B, C).
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #50

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
You can get a region free player on Bombay electronics or 220 electronics for $99, though. (And that means regions A, B, C).
Congratulations on quoting an ENTIRE LONG MESSAGE and not reading anything you quoted. Specifically, the parts about 3D and why the OP wasn't after a hacked player.

Also, $99 is for a 2D only player.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (02-28-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #51

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
Congratulations on quoting an ENTIRE LONG MESSAGE and not reading anything you quoted. Specifically, the parts about 3D and why the OP wasn't after a hacked player.

Also, $99 is for a 2D only player.
Keeping all options open is helpful. Not a competition.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #52

Nov 2007

Quote:
Keeping all options open is helpful. Not a competition.
The $99 2-D player is not an "option" for the OP, or anyone else who paid attention to what this thread is about. Humbly admit the error and move on.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (02-28-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #53

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Shane View Post
The $99 2-D player is not an "option" for the OP, or anyone else who paid attention to what this thread is about. Humbly admit the error and move on.
Buying a stand alone multiregion (A,B, and C) 3D player for $149 is better deal than buying an A,B player and ALSO having to buy a step transformer box.
(Which, btw, make an annoying audible hum in the room).
No error on my part.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #54

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA

Quote:
Buying a stand alone multiregion (A,B, and C) 3D player for $149 is better deal than buying an A,B player and ALSO having to buy a step transformer box.
(Which, btw, make an annoying audible hum in the room).
No error on my part.
And now you're back to the problem the OP pointed out in his long post that you quoted earlier, namely the modded players being older models. Ignoring that aspect doesn't help.

Also, there are dual voltage players, so you can dodge any problem you have with transformers.

Rick
Thanks given by:
mar3o (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 03:18 AM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
You're missing the entire point of this thread. Which is: how to go full region B without buying a region-hacked player that may lose it's region-free ability when updating, and without buying an ancient player since most modded players are very old models. A true region B player is 100% guaranteed to play all region B discs without fear of losing the ability or running into random discs that won't play.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

A ps3 or ps4. Universal power supply. Rock solid optics.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #57
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
Albany NY

I think I'm going to need a player with 2 HDMI outputs...any good ones available?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
A ps3 or ps4. Universal power supply. Rock solid optics.
And is that region B/region free out of the box?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #59

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Presumably a UK PS3 should work fine for region B playback in the US, using a plug adapter or US power cord. There's plenty of eBay UK but prices are all over the map and shipping is pretty high. Plus you need the PS3 remote, so figure another $20 or so - but still a superb player; that's still what I use on my main TV for blu-ray playback.
Thanks given by:
mar3o (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #60
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

That makes the UK PS3 a viable option then. I don't why more people don't do that. Though as you said buying from Ebay, then shipping and extra for a remote makes it a pricey and risky purchase. This thread highlights a way to go region B on the cheap with a reliable name-brand player from a major retailer with a return policy.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders