Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
13 hrs ago
Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
5 hrs ago
The UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION: VOLUME 1 (Blu-ray)
$51.40

Pixar Short Films Collection: Volume 3 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
7 hrs ago
Batman / Batman Returns / Batman Forever / Batman & Robin (Blu-ray)
$10.00

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.16

Us (Blu-ray)
$23.78
18 hrs ago
Swing Time (Blu-ray)
$30.37
14 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$13.00

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

The World's End / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #21

Oct 2014

Another option for getting it home: Home Depot offers van and truck rentals for around $20/hour, if you have one in your area. It may also be possible to schedule delivery for a specific time frame, depending on where you buy your TV, but renting the truck might be cheaper.

-Edit: I think you have to show proof that you have car insurance for the rental, so that might not work for you after all.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #22

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada

42" is not really that big anymore.

If the furniture is really a problem and you can only get the dual feet type, just get a nice board to put on top of the current stand than screw it down. I've laid a tall cabinet on it's side to use as a stand (had to remove the door); it almost looks proper!

And you can't always trust BestBuy pictures of the product.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertbj View Post
Another option for getting it home: Home Depot offers van and truck rentals for around $20/hour, if you have one in your area. It may also be possible to schedule delivery for a specific time frame, depending on where you buy your TV, but renting the truck might be cheaper.

-Edit: I think you have to show proof that you have car insurance for the rental, so that might not work for you after all.
Speaking of insurance, I think my building might require a COI to be on file before a delivery of a TV can be made.

Goodness gracious, why does this have to be so difficult??!!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
The distance between my couch and TV is about 80 inches. Seems like 42" is good for that distance based on my research.
37'-55' would be up your alley based on this link:

https://www.inchcalculator.com/tv-si...ce-calculator/
Old 02-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Ok, I have narrowed down my choices to these two:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6202108

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43...?skuId=5748210

I did a bunch of research and this is what I found.. The Samsung has better black levels, but mediocre HDR, poor viewing angles, and fewer HDMI inputs. The Sony has a nice picture with better HDR but poor black levels. However it has a better viewing angle and more HDMI inputs. Not to mention that it is more stable with streaming than the Samsung, which is what I would be using the TV for.

So both have their own pro and cons. Now here's the thing, the Sony is significantly pricier than the Samsung. The extra HDMI ports, the good reviews on the HDR, and the fact that it has a centered stand (which is what I need given my current tv furniture) makes me lean towards the Sony. But then again, paying the extra $250 might not be worth it if the TV doesn't perform significantly better than the Samsung. I am mostly going to be using the TV to stream Netflix; I don't play video games.

I checked both TVs at Best Buy and while both TVs looked great, it was hard to tell which looked better since the store was playing different content on both TVs (I hate when they do that). So, I was wondering if any experts here can give me advice on these two TVs and recommend which is better and which is the best bang for the buck.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I checked both TVs at Best Buy and while both TVs looked great, it was hard to tell which looked better since the store was playing different content on both TVs (I hate when they do that). So, I was wondering if any experts here can give me advice on these two TVs and recommend which is better and which is the best bang for the buck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Best Buy TV displays are not calibrated, they are usually on torch mode to make them look super bright and appealing to the customer. A person can't really determine what a TV looks like, until they take it home, and have it properly calibrated.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Best Buy TV displays are not calibrated, they are usually on torch mode to make them look super bright and appealing to the customer. A person can't really determine what a TV looks like, until they take it home, and have it properly calibrated.
Yeah, not to mention that noise reduction is always turned on by default. So it's hard to judge the sharpness of the picture.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Ok, I have narrowed down my choices to these two:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6202108

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43...?skuId=5748210

I did a bunch of research and this is what I found.. The Samsung has better black levels, but mediocre HDR, poor viewing angles, and fewer HDMI inputs. The Sony has a nice picture with better HDR but poor black levels. However it has a better viewing angle and more HDMI inputs. Not to mention that it is more stable with streaming than the Samsung, which is what I would be using the TV for.

So both have their own pro and cons. Now here's the thing, the Sony is significantly pricier than the Samsung. The extra HDMI ports, the good reviews on the HDR, and the fact that it has a centered stand (which is what I need given my current tv furniture) makes me lean towards the Sony. But then again, paying the extra $250 might not be worth it if the TV doesn't perform significantly better than the Samsung. I am mostly going to be using the TV to stream Netflix; I don't play video games.

I checked both TVs at Best Buy and while both TVs looked great, it was hard to tell which looked better since the store was playing different content on both TVs (I hate when they do that). So, I was wondering if any experts here can give me advice on these two TVs and recommend which is better and which is the best bang for the buck.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would look at TCL and Vizio if you're looking for best bang for the buck. I would check out cnet and rtings for reviews on both sets you mentioned (if they reviewed them at all). Lastly, according to the site I mentioned in a previous post, 37'-55' is recommended at 1080p for the distance you mentioned.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #29

Dec 2010
California

I have a small living room, went with a 42" TV, and almost immediately wished I had bought bigger. I don't think you'll regret upsizing and you might want to consider going even bigger... there isn't much difference in price. For people that love movies, I think it really does make a difference. (And I would not walk home with a 42" or larger TV - the box will be bigger, more awkward, and heavier than you'd think.. especially after the first couple blocks. Uber or friend/family with a car are good ideas.) Good luck - I'm excited for you!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Uber or friend/family with a car are good ideas.) Good luck - I'm excited for you!
Is Uber ok with that? I'm not sure if these car services are ok with you using them to move big merchandise. If so, then it's no problem at all. Even if I have pay $30 for a 10 minute drive, I'll happily do it if it's not against Uber's policy or will make the driver angry.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Is Uber ok with that? I'm not sure if these car services are ok with you using them to move big merchandise. If so, then it's no problem at all. Even if I have pay $30 for a 10 minute drive, I'll happily do it if it's not against Uber's policy or will make the driver angry.
You have to ask for a SUV Uber in the app when you request pickup.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:26 AM   #32
Expert Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Around 40 inch is my preference. I can see the appeal of even larger, but I watch a lot of old retro TV and any bigger and they'd look absolutely horrible. Depends if you only watch 21st century HD stuff and nothing else, I guess...
Old 02-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
Around 40 inch is my preference. I can see the appeal of even larger, but I watch a lot of old retro TV and any bigger and they'd look absolutely horrible. Depends if you only watch 21st century HD stuff and nothing else, I guess...
I watch both 21st century stuff and classics shows & movies.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
You have to ask for a SUV Uber in the app when you request pickup.
What about Uber XL?
Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 AM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
What about Uber XL?
Those don't appear to be SUV's. Don't quote me on it though.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I'd just like to go on record and say the answer to the OP's question is ALWAYS YES!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #37

Dec 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I'd just like to go on record and say the answer to the OP's question is ALWAYS YES!
That's funny. I agree.

Don't leave us hanging MrHT, did you get a bigger TV and how did you get it home?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:51 AM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
That's funny. I agree.

Don't leave us hanging MrHT, did you get a bigger TV and how did you get it home?
No. And here's why... I've done a ton of research on this and the Samsung and Sony TVs I linked above are both comparable. Both have their ups and downs, but in the end, both TVs are just as good. So, to buy the Sony for $650 and pay a lot more just because it fits on my furniture is rather silly.

If the Sony were a lot cheaper or if Samsung TVs had the centered stand, I would've made the purchase already. I am very flabbergasted that they did away with the centered stands as I see no benefit from the change.

Yes, I can buy new furniture or get a universal stand, but that's an additional purchase I would have to make before buying the TV. Or I can buy the TV now and not use it until I buy the furniture or stand, but that would drive me crazy and not to mention, the return period on the TV is ticking.

It's too much and I need more time to think this through. Maybe by the time I finish thinking this through, new models will come out that will have centered stands again...
Thanks given by:
slm (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 AM   #39

Feb 2019

Sorry for TS for asking in your thread instead of making new thread. But I need your suggestion, I just sell my 24 inch TV and search for tv with 40 inch maximum. For 40 inch TV do you suggest stick in FHD or go for 4K?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2019, 04:58 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
No. And here's why... I've done a ton of research on this and the Samsung and Sony TVs I linked above are both comparable. Both have their ups and downs, but in the end, both TVs are just as good. So, to buy the Sony for $650 and pay a lot more just because it fits on my furniture is rather silly.

If the Sony were a lot cheaper or if Samsung TVs had the centered stand, I would've made the purchase already. I am very flabbergasted that they did away with the centered stands as I see no benefit from the change.

Yes, I can buy new furniture or get a universal stand, but that's an additional purchase I would have to make before buying the TV. Or I can buy the TV now and not use it until I buy the furniture or stand, but that would drive me crazy and not to mention, the return period on the TV is ticking.

It's too much and I need more time to think this through. Maybe by the time I finish thinking this through, new models will come out that will have centered stands again...
Since you're currently living in a studio apartment, and have no plans on moving anytime soon, do you think the manager will let you wall mount a TV? It will be similar as if you're mounting a large picture on the wall.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs