Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.96
1 hr ago
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
6 hrs ago
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37
2 hrs ago
AVP Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$5.99
2 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96
 
Outlander: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$44.95
 
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Spider-Man Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.58
 
Replicas (Blu-ray)
$18.84
 
Long Way North (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
Miss Bala (Blu-ray)
$22.96
9 hrs ago
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Blu-ray)
$25.66
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #13641
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
400
142
219
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
Should I be worried if certain movie distributors decide not to release 4K Blu-Rays anymore?
There's quite a few movies in the past year that get UHD digital but not a UHD disc release.

Most recently oscar contender The Favourite
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #13642
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
400
142
219
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I hate the idea that movie lovers could drink the koolaid and leap into a format that’s not going to last the pace anyway. It’s stupidity imo.

My frustration grows from that. If you love collecting, bloody collect disc! Not a format that’s about to be made irrelevant by subscriptions and exclusives.

You are a prime example. Using the term ‘us’ despite the fact you have over 400 blurays. You are one of the main reasons HT lovers may not have access to the best quality in years to come. In that case, does it even class as HT anymore? Surely the point of HT is to replicate the cinema experience as closely as possible at home?

I expect it of the masses, some of them are still struggling with changing a light bulb. However, to class yourselves as film fans and then desert the best quality is nothing short of shameful imo.
I am just out of space at this time and i don't have the room to buy a shelf.

I recently received the Arrow version of Audition this past week.

I also have Burning and The Karate Kid (4k) on pre-order, but I may cancel Burning since I bought the digital a few weeks ago since it literally came to digital like 6 weeks before the disc. (plus it was only $9.99 and the physical will not have a digital copy so I dont mind the double dip).

I gave my Karate Kid blu-ray to my father and since its an upgrade its not taking up any new space.

I kind of like the idea of upgrading my absolute favs to 4K when they come out and getting the newer titles on UHD digital.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #13643
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3784
3669
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
There's quite a few movies in the past year that get UHD digital but not a UHD disc release.

Most recently oscar contender The Favourite
From what I have observed, UHD digital is not significantly better than a blu-ray disc and often it is slightly worse. Especially the audio, in dark scenes, and in background stability. Plus, no real ownership, yada yada yada.

Again, there are far more titles in my disc collection that are not on digital anything than there are digital titles in your collection that are not on disc.

The number of new releases favor disc by far and so does the quality. And did I mention real ownership?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #13644
Hardback247 Hardback247 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Mar 2013
2
Default

I'm still very pissed that the Fate of the Furious Extended Director's Cut is a digital-exclusive. That didn't stop me from contacting Universal to ask if they would release it on physical formats.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #13645
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3784
3669
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
I'm still very pissed that the Fate of the Furious Extended Director's Cut is a digital-exclusive. That didn't stop me from contacting Universal to ask if they would release it on physical formats.
There are other options if you want to send them a stronger message.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #13646
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
400
142
219
37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
From what I have observed, UHD digital is not significantly better than a blu-ray disc and often it is slightly worse. Especially the audio, in dark scenes, and in background stability. Plus, no real ownership, yada yada yada.

Again, there are far more titles in my disc collection that are not on digital anything than there are digital titles in your collection that are not on disc.

The number of new releases favor disc by far and so does the quality. And did I mention real ownership?
I get all of that but with the way things are gone I expect this trend to continue as well as increase. Especially for smaller movies (i.e. blindspotting, the old man and the gun etc- just a few off top that i have uhd digital but did not get the 4k disc)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #13647
Hardback247 Hardback247 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Mar 2013
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
There are other options if you want to send them a stronger message.
What do you mean? What options?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #13648
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3784
3669
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
I get all of that but with the way things are gone I expect this trend to continue as well as increase. Especially for smaller movies (i.e. blindspotting, the old man and the gun etc- just a few off top that i have uhd digital but did not get the 4k disc)
Considering the quality differences between a 4K digital title and a blu-ray disc being so, let's be charitable and say, negligible, the issue of real ownership more than tips the balance in favor of the blu-ray disc, a disc that still gives you a digital code, albeit a code that redeems in HD.

When I decided to adopt the 4K disc format I did so wanting all that it could offer. I embraced it because I wanted the best that was possible. I have no need for 4K Lite (Digital) that is lower quality than 4K disc and that is often even lower quality than the blu-ray.

Even when 4K Lite equals or bests its blu-ray counterpart, there's still no tangible ownership. Control freaks like me can't accept that.

If I lived outside of the U.S., and if I had been relying upon UV for my movies, I would be in a difficult spot right now. I am not trying to make fun of the situation; I don't like to see anyone lose what they paid for, but it increasingly looks like those overseas with UV collections are really going to get burned. I want no part of any scenario that even has that as a possible outcome, yet alone the probable one that our overseas friends are now facing.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-16-2019 at 07:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #13649
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3784
3669
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
What do you mean? What options?
Sorry, I am not allowed to elaborate. Some blanks you gotta fill in yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #13650
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Power Member
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
Should I be worried if certain movie distributors decide not to release 4K Blu-Rays anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Depends. If it’s a ‘wait and see’ policy, possibly no. If it’s a ‘we have ceased producing 4K titles for good’ then yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
How possible is it for the latter to happen?
The Studios control distribution, so it all depends on demand. With Disc Sales on the decline there is a greater emphasis on their distribution. Two points to consider are Break Even Point and Profit Margin. The Studios make the decision on the Distribution Method, and depending on the results make adjustments. The Studios just want to sell Movies and TV Shows and make a profit. 4K BD have a small market share, and DVD's outsell them and I think it has to do with cost. It's too early to tell which direction this is going with Streaming coming on Hot, but many people feel 4K BD will be a niche market.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 AM   #13651
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Senior Member
 
Apr 2017
2636
554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
The Studios control distribution, so it all depends on demand. With Disc Sales on the decline there is a greater emphasis on their distribution. Two points to consider are Break Even Point and Profit Margin. The Studios make the decision on the Distribution Method, and depending on the results make adjustments. The Studios just want to sell Movies and TV Shows and make a profit. 4K BD have a small market share, and DVD's outsell them and I think it has to do with cost. It's too early to tell which direction this is going with Streaming coming on Hot, but many people feel 4K BD will be a niche market.
The studios' control over distribution is the reason why streaming is an inferior choice to physical media. If something that's only available on streaming is unprofitable (or cuts into the profits of other things) it could easily disappear completely. If something on physical media is unprofitable it will go out of print but all the copies that have already been made will still function and can easily be redistributed via the used market.

I have no doubt that most physical media will eventually become a niche market, but it will always be the best choice regardless of how popular it is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #13652
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Considering the quality differences between a 4K digital title and a blu-ray disc being so, let's be charitable and say, negligible, the issue of real ownership more than tips the balance in favor of the blu-ray disc, a disc that still gives you a digital code, albeit a code that redeems in HD.

When I decided to adopt the 4K disc format I did so wanting all that it could offer. I embraced it because I wanted the best that was possible. I have no need for 4K Lite (Digital) that is lower quality than 4K disc and that is often even lower quality than the blu-ray.

Even when 4K Lite equals or bests its blu-ray counterpart, there's still no tangible ownership. Control freaks like me can't accept that.

If I lived outside of the U.S., and if I had been relying upon UV for my movies, I would be in a difficult spot right now. I am not trying to make fun of the situation; I don't like to see anyone lose what they paid for, but it increasingly looks like those overseas with UV collections are really going to get burned. I want no part of any scenario that even has that as a possible outcome, yet alone the probable one that our overseas friends are now facing.
That’s the main reason Sky movie store has taken off in the U.K. you have the option of buying the Digital HD with a DVD or Blu-ray. Only some Blu-ray owners know what UV is. Codes need to go away completely then we will see the demand for digital HD when people have to pay full price. At the moment, digital lovers are (imo) like parasites, sucking the format for cheap codes while declaring disc dead. It needs to stop.

Meanwhile, in the UK, UV is a utter failure imo. The industry would have been better off just keeping those old digital copy codes for mobile phones. That’s essentially what UV is. Disney Plus is coming here soon and buying Disney movies digitally is going to be far less appealing. I’m sure most willjust wait once they have been to the cinema. The same with WB films and I’m sure Universal films will be exclusive to Comcast/Sky. I think Digital HD has just come along at the wrong time. By that, I mean the masses don’t want to own their films anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #13653
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

I still say you guys don’t realise how all this digital stuff makes us fragile as HT lovers. I have said before, all it would take is for AT&T to offer Netflix or Time Warner’s new streaming service for Free BUT only via mobile, to change the landscape literally overnight.

Something like:

“Go with AT&T wireless as your service provider and we will give you unlimited free access to Netflix in SD on mobile only.

Or choose Comcast and we will give you our new Streaming service for free to mobile customers for the entire year.

Who is going to pay for access on their tv when they can get it free on mobile?

This will happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #13654
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I still say you guys don’t realise how all this digital stuff makes us fragile as HT lovers.
One never knows how something will turnout. UV was designed to move physical movie purchase to digital movie purchase. The studios hate the The First Sale Doctrine and thought they could move us to digital purchase where the TFSD does not apply. UV was a colossal failure and only served to devalue their product. They are now trying to put that Genie back in the bottle, only time will tell if they are successful.

The next thing the studios need to do is produce movies that is worth purchasing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #13655
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
One never knows how something will turnout. UV was designed to move physical movie purchase to digital movie purchase. The studios hate the The First Sale Doctrine and thought they could move us to digital purchase where the TFSD does not apply. UV was a colossal failure and only served to devalue their product. They are now trying to put that Genie back in the bottle, only time will tell if they are successful.

The next thing the studios need to do is produce movies that is worth purchasing.
They won’t put the genie back. Subscription has plonked its big fat bum in the playing field.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #13656
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3784
3669
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I still say you guys don’t realise how all this digital stuff makes us fragile as HT lovers. I have said before, all it would take is for AT&T to offer Netflix or Time Warner’s new streaming service for Free BUT only via mobile, to change the landscape literally overnight.

Something like:

“Go with AT&T wireless as your service provider and we will give you unlimited free access to Netflix in SD on mobile only.

Or choose Comcast and we will give you our new Streaming service for free to mobile customers for the entire year.

Who is going to pay for access on their tv when they can get it free on mobile?

This will happen.
I can't be bothered with these "what ifs" of yours.

All I can think about is pie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #13657
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
608
1
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
From what I have observed, UHD digital is not significantly better than a blu-ray disc and often it is slightly worse. Especially the audio, in dark scenes, and in background stability. Plus, no real ownership, yada yada yada.

Again, there are far more titles in my disc collection that are not on digital anything than there are digital titles in your collection that are not on disc.

The number of new releases favor disc by far and so does the quality. And did I mention real ownership?
Audio is enough for me to favor physical media. The only two "digital" movies
[Show spoiler](I still can't get over why they exclusively call it that)
I own are supposed to be Dolby Digital+, but there's no dynamics and sound heavily compressed like there's DRC applied. Which is why I only own two, the 2nd one being "I'll try another and see if it, too, sounds like crap."
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #13658
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
They won’t put the genie back. Subscription has plonked its big fat bum in the playing field.
No doubt subscription streaming has had an effect on physical and electronic movie/TV sales but the main effect has been on traditional pay TV. After all, subscription streaming is just another form of pay TV, no matter how the DEG tries to spin it otherwise.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (02-18-2019), Steedeel (02-17-2019), The_Donster (02-17-2019), Vilya (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #13659
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I can't be bothered with these "what ifs" of yours.

All I can think about is pie.
I feel like I know you, but sometimes my arms bend back.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Vilya (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #13660
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
400
142
219
37
Default

I've quite enjoyed all the doom and gloom physical media articles in light of the Samsung news

"“Some devices, such as DVD/Blu-ray players, are in the declining phase of their product life cycle as streaming devices gain prominence,” reads Nielsen’s Q2 2018 report, adding that only 66 percent of TV watching households have one now, compared to 72 percent the year before. Nielsen also says the average US adult spends just 5 minutes a day — by far the least of any screen activity — using a Blu-ray or DVD player."
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 PM.