Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
Underwater (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flesh Eating Mothers (Blu-ray)
$13.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Midsommar (Blu-ray)
$6.96

The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$22.96
13 hrs ago
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 5 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Zombieland: Double Tap (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Satanic Panic (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #9741
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

It's called cover-up.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #9742
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Some interesting stuff I found discussed on Reddit about Florida's testing

Quote:
Published May 16

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — More than 25,000 coronavirus tests administered by AdventHealth in Central Florida, which includes Volusia and Flagler counties, are not reliable, according to hospital officials.

AdventHealth had partnered with multiple third-party labs across multiple states to assist with the “overwhelming demand” for COVID-19 testing, according to a news release.

One of those labs, which was processing a significant number of public tests, has not been able to fulfill its obligation, according to the release. The name of the lab was not provided by hospital officials.

“We take our responsibility to safeguard everyone who entrusts us with their care very seriously. We’ve made significant investments to help minimize the spread of COVID-19 in Central Florida and will continue to stand beside our neighbors in these unprecedented times,” said Daryl Tol, president and CEO of AdventHealth’s Central Florida Division in the release.

Now, more than 25,000 people throughout Central Florida will either not receive a result for their COVID-19 test or be notified that their test result is not reliable, according to the release. “AdventHealth has terminated its contract with this lab and we share in the disappointment and frustration this situation has created,” the news release stated. "We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience and uncertainty it has caused.”

AdventHealth is working to notify and “appropriately accommodate” those who have been impacted by phone or letter.

Those whose samples were processed, and whose results provided by the lab are not deemed reliable, will need to be retested. Those who tested positive will need to be retested for COVID-19. Those who tested negative but have symptoms need to seek care and be retested. Those who tested negative but do not show any symptoms will be offered retesting if it’s available, according to the release.
And this post sheds a light on an issue that could possibly be happening everywhere, but is definitely happening in Fl. and very clearly skewing the positive rate.

Quote:
Florida is also counting total tests taken, NOT total people tested. The UFC were given 1200 tests for 200 people. They had 3 positives, so instead of it being 3 positives and 197 negative, that was logged as 1197 negative and 3 positive.

Quote:
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – More than 482,000 coronavirus tests have been administered in Florida, but Gov. Ron DeSantis admits the number also reflects people who have received more than one test.

News 6 is running these numbers through our trust index to find out what percentage of our population has been tested.

We have been asking the governor and the Florida Department of Health that question for weeks, but despite repeated emails and phone calls we still do not have a clear answer.

During every press conference, including Wednesday, Governor Ron DeSantis gives the number of Coronavirus tests statewide,

"We are close to inching up to 500,000 tests administered since this began," DeSantis said.

The state does not give the number of people who have been tested, and there is a difference.

You may recall this exchange I had with the governor a week-and-a-half ago.

"Are retests included in that number?" we asked

“Yeah so they are, its a good question,” Gov. DeSantis said.

Here's what a retest is.

If you have a test for COVID-19 and it’s positive, the Florida Department of Health recommends 14 days of isolation, after that, you should have another test.

Twenty-four hours later you should have another test to make sure you’re negative.

All of those test results go into the number on the state’s dashboard, even though it’s one person.

Potentially thousands of people, including healthcare workers receive multiple tests.

We asked the governor the same day if the state would update the dashboard to show the number of people tested minus re-tests.

“And actually you know what we can do, I’m going to see if they can parse it a little bit more,” the Governor said. “So I want just the fresh tests, I think that’s better.”

There was a change.

The state changed the title on the dashboard from "total tests" to "total people tested"

Unfortunately, that could be even more confusing, because the number still includes retests.

Last Sunday, we asked the governor again if the state could show the number of people tested and he referred us to the states roughly 600-page daily report.

"This chart right here is just phenomenal so they'll do number and percent of positives. These count the number of people whom the department has seen lab results by day. The percent is the number of people who test positive for the first time, divided by all the people tested that day, excluding people who have previously tested positive. So that's the number that you look at," he said.

After more than a week of multiple phone calls and emails, we asked the Florida Department of Health if they could give us the number of unique people who have been tested.

We are still waiting.

Either they don't know the number or they aren't releasing it.

We have been asking the governor and the Florida Department of Health the question for weeks, but despite repeated emails and phone calls we still do not have a clear answer.

Currently, the state is close to 500,000 tests, but we have no idea how many people, and what percentage of our population has been tested.

Last edited by MifuneFan; Yesterday at 09:52 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #9743
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

That's a tl;dr for Mifune.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #9744
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Basically, there's no accurate data for how many unique people tested. The UFC part sums it up. 1200 tests provided for 200 people. Three positives are entered, but also 1197 negative (instead of 197). So if someone just looked at that, they might think 3 people tested positive out of 1200, making the positive rate look very low, but it's not really painting an accurate picture. Again, I have no idea if this is a problem everywhere where testing is done,
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #9745
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Basically, there's no accurate data for how many unique people tested. The UFC part sums it up. 1200 tests provided for 200 people. Three positives are entered, but also 1197 negative (instead of 197). So if someone just looked at that, they might think 3 people tested positive out of 1200, making the positive rate look very low, but it's not really painting an accurate picture. Again, I have no idea if this is a problem everywhere where testing is done,
Almost everywhere except New York is still having test problems. Its still wait a week or two after taking the test, and with a two week incubation time... From what I've read, a lot of the bottleneck is relaying results and waiting on the county health department, instead of just letting the private testers/blood draw labs do it. It's an amazing weakness that got exposed, and similar to waiting on relayed results from the CDC when this first rolled out.

CVS is rolling out their drive-thru testing areas here finally. Walgreens is supposed to soon, but they're not as well set up as the CVS Minute Clinics.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #9746
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Yes good point there are people being tested multiple times, and probably to a greater extent in May than in April. But probably a small percentage of total cases. But anyway cases are down, deaths are down, but you'd never know it by reading the media.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #9747
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011

Quote:
This is a major screw-up. There's no way this doesn't drastically affect the numbers.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM   #9748
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacit170 View Post
dont we have to wait at least a week before knowing if its from the protest gatherings since symptoms may not show for up to 2 weeks?

tracking this and making clear assumptions on everything is very difficult especially when its an overall number for 50 states vs just those having the gatherings...

surprised its not being reported on the major networks
As I've pointed out previously, it can be up to 2 weeks . The average is 5 days, with most showing symptoms by day 9. So by day 5 or 6 you would likely see a rise in numbers.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM   #9749
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
This is a major screw-up. There's no way this doesn't drastically affect the numbers.
It only affects is the percentage of positive tests per person, not total cases. Since a person can be tested many times, the ratios I posted are actually higher. But it really doesn't matter since they could be higher for April as well and I was just showing how much testing capacity has increased.
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #9750
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Some interesting stuff I found discussed on Reddit about Florida's testing

And this post sheds a light on an issue that could possibly be happening everywhere, but is definitely happening in Fl. and very clearly skewing the positive rate.
As I posted earlier, Florida's testing increased almost exactly the national average, while the drop in cases was likewise essentially in line with the U.S. average. So I don't really see the point here, except that people can be tested more than once.
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #9751
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Arrow SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein Shares Sequence with a Human Protein

TheScientist
Exploring life, inspiring innovation

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...-protein-67596
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #9752
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014
United States

In Memphis, an area with thousands of cases, it's still nearly impossible to get a test unless you're showing several symptoms. I'd like to know if I'm an asymptomatic carrier.
Old Today, 06:10 AM   #9753
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
N. Texas

Will the WHO get it's act together??

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat