Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
20 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Local Hero (Blu-ray)
$30.37
7 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Polyester (Blu-ray)
$27.37

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies

Old 01-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #1

Feb 2014
Default Redeeming Codes on Flixster vs. Google Play

Hey everyone,

So I just got a Samsung Galaxy S5, and tried redeeming some codes from Fox, and one of the options I'm given is to redeem via Google Play, or redeem from the Flixster app. However, I believe I'm only allowed to choose one option, since the code can only be used once.

I was just wondering, if anyone has redeemed via Google Play if there are any advantages over redeeming on the Flixster app, and just in general, if people preferred to redeem on Google Play over the Flixster app?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank-you!
Old 01-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyed928 View Post
Hey everyone,

So I just got a Samsung Galaxy S5, and tried redeeming some codes from Fox, and one of the options I'm given is to redeem via Google Play, or redeem from the Flixster app. However, I believe I'm only allowed to choose one option, since the code can only be used once.

I was just wondering, if anyone has redeemed via Google Play if there are any advantages over redeeming on the Flixster app, and just in general, if people preferred to redeem on Google Play over the Flixster app?

Google Play is not a UV provider so if you redeem through them you can only use Google Play to view the movie. If you redeem through flixster it will be UV compatible and you should be able to watch through any UV provider like Vudu, Flixster, M-Go, Target Ticket and Cinemanow. Google Play would be the best choice if you only watch movies through Google Play. Flixster would be the choice if you use any of the other services and want the movie in your UV locker.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2014

I agree with Madmod - I would go with Flixster if only the 2 options are my choices based on UV. However I redeem almost everything in VUDU as that's my preference. I can still watch it on any of the UV apps though. Other positive with Flixster with your S5 is it's the only App I know where you can save to your micro-sd as opposed to using your phone space. So I do watch primarily on Flixster when using my phone. Not sure if Google Play has the download to micro-sd option or not but I know VUDU app doesn't at this time.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Oct 2014

Use Flixster
Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #5

Mar 2010
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyed928 View Post
Hey everyone,

Flixster.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #6

Nov 2009

Use Vudu, if you can.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
Banned

Jan 2015

Google play does give you the option to save movies on your micro sd.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:54 AM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean View Post
Use Vudu, if you can.
I'd stay away from Flixster -- it's a UV code, so go to the Vudu website, search up the movie, and click "Redeem." Then it's in your Vudu collection, your Ultraviolet locker, and will stick. Vudu is a much better app anyway -- it's sort of winning the war of the non-Apple streaming apps.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Contributor

Jun 2012
USA
-
-
-
-

As has been said, redeeming through Flixster or Vudu will give you more options. Movies redeemed on Google Play will only be playable through Google Play and YouTube.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Apr 2014
479 via 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
I'd stay away from Flixster -- it's a UV code, so go to the Vudu website, search up the movie, and click "Redeem." Then it's in your Vudu collection, your Ultraviolet locker, and will stick. Vudu is a much better app anyway -- it's sort of winning the war of the non-Apple streaming apps.
I think you meant Vudu is the better service, and no argument there.

But as far as apps go, the VUDU app for Android is utter rubbish. It pretty much fails to follow any current Android design patterns, and looks like it's from 2010. Their insistence on making the app look the same everywhere has led to a very poor user-experience. The Flixster app, however, actually conforms to the current "material" design language and is actually usable on a phone.

On the original topic, I'd go with Vudu or Flixster. The days of having your digital movies locked to a provider/ecosystem are over, thanks to UV.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
Power Member

Apr 2013

They updated vudu on droid. It's much better now
Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #12

Apr 2014
479 via 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasiliskFang View Post
They updated vudu on droid. It's much better now
That's a negative. While the most recent version has the updated UI, the interface is still not mobile optimised whatsoever. There are plenty of reviews that affirm the UI needs major improvement. Flixster, Google Play Movies, and Disney Movies Anywhere have vastly superior interfaces and are actually nice to use.

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the fact that Vudu shows all my movies, I would abandon it completely.
Thanks given by:
sosavage1000 (01-11-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
Special Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
That's a negative. While the most recent version has the updated UI, the interface is still not mobile optimised whatsoever. There are plenty of reviews that affirm the UI needs major improvement. Flixster, Google Play Movies, and Disney Movies Anywhere have vastly superior interfaces and are actually nice to use.

In all honesty, if it wasn't for the fact that Vudu shows all my movies, I would abandon it completely.

I just don't agree -- the app has been updated and works fantastically. I don't watch movies on a handheld ( I prefer streaming on my TV or a computer), but the handheld Vudu app is doing just fine.

Flixster service has all sorts of account gremlins and ties to Facebook that are invasive and cumbersome.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #14

Apr 2014
479 via 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
I just don't agree -- the app has been updated and works fantastically. I don't watch movies on a handheld ( I prefer streaming on my TV or a computer), but the handheld Vudu app is doing just fine.

Flixster service has all sorts of account gremlins and ties to Facebook that are invasive and cumbersome.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #15

Mar 2013

The Vudu app on the play store has a 3.9 average rating, and that's pretty good, that's the same rating as the DMA app.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #16

Jul 2011
Thumbs up

This is again what's nice about UV, you have choices. Not everybody is going to like Vudu.... flixster, target ticket or whichever will work better for some some people.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies