Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99
17 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.67
10 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hellboy (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies

Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #41

Feb 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanton619 View Post
So I am working with a few people on the Digital Movies MeWe group (you should join, link HERE) to figure out what Google is actually doing with 4k upgrades/playback. A detailed description of my experiment is HERE.

In summary:

- HD codes redeemed on Google Play (Fox and Lionsgate) appear to upgrade to 4k after about 24 hours. The Fox titles do not port to MA in 4k, only HD (based on original purchase). Lionsgate titles obviously do not port into MA.

- Using a Chromecast Ultra, casting these movies through the Google Play Movies and TV app, I have confirmed these "upgrades" will play with (at least) HDR, as opposed to a standard HD movie. I cannot confirm resolution, as the GP app does not have a notification, and I am not sure of how to pull it up through my TV OS.

- Casting these "upgraded" movies, along with direct HD purchases from Google Play that received free 4k upgrades, DO NOT play in 4k and/or HDR through the YouTube app. The only movies that play in 4k and/or HDR through the YouTube app on a CCU are direct 4k purchases from Google Play/YouTube and movies imported from MA that are properly registered as 4k on YouTube (check your YouTube purchase history).

- Google Play's FAQ page claims that you need to have 4k rights to a movie in order to get HDR playback.

Based on info in the posts on this forum and what I have seen, I am still trying to get definitive answers on a few things...

- I can conclusively say that Google 4k upgrades do not apply to YouTube. I feel relatively confident that a direct purchase from Google made prior to October 2018 that received a free 4k upgrade is playing back in 4k/HDR using a CCU. Can anyone confirm the resolution for a title upgraded after October 2018?

- Can anyone confirm that HD codes redeemed on GP and "upgraded" 24 hours later actually play back in 4k? I have confirmed that they have at least gained HDR access after the 24 hours. Possible titles to redeem and check include Die Hard, The Hate U Give, Logan, John Wick 1/2, A Simple Favor and Kin.

- Does anyone have any info on how to get a 2018 TCL 6-Series to tell you what resolution is displayed (app-agnostic, I know I can get stats for nerds on YouTube and Vudu has a notification icon)? I currently have it set up to display when HDR/DV is active, but I have not found a setting for resolution.

I will be cross-posting this in the YouTube 4k movies post as well to see if I can get anyone following that post to help out.
Did anyone ever reply to u regarding "- Can anyone confirm that HD codes redeemed on GP and "upgraded" 24 hours later actually play back in 4k? I have confirmed that they have at least gained HDR access after the 24 hours. Possible titles to redeem and check include Die Hard, The Hate U Give, Logan, John Wick 1/2, A Simple Favor and Kin." I have John Wick 1/2 & A Simple Favor codes I have not redeemed yet, not sure if I should redeem them on GP or iTunes
Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #42

May 2013

Anyone else having trouble seeing what the resolution of some Disney/ Marvel titles are? When I look at some titles (Captain Marvel, Avendgers Endgame, Mickey's Chrstmas Carol) they have one single rent/ purchase price with no indication of the resolution (SD, HD, UHD...)??
Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #43
Special Member

Aug 2012
Archbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post
Anyone else having trouble seeing what the resolution of some Disney/ Marvel titles are? When I look at some titles (Captain Marvel, Avendgers Endgame, Mickey's Chrstmas Carol) they have one single rent/ purchase price with no indication of the resolution (SD, HD, UHD...)??
I see SD & HD available for Capt. Marvel & Endgame, but no UHD. At GP you usually have to click on the buy/preorder/rent button to see the options (only time you don't AFAIK is when they only have one resolution).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ave.JPG (71.7 KB, 69 views)
Thanks given by:
pghflyer (05-17-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies