Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
They Shall Not Grow Old (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
Waterworld 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
17 hrs ago
The Koker Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$68.49
17 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.89

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.90

Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.96

Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.35

Cinderella 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Who: Peter Davison - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Bumblebee / Transformers: 6-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Mothra (Blu-ray)
$13.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 03-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #21

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
The flicker is just as obvious as it is on the -800. It was an immediate reaction to that scene and I see it all the time in scenes with high contrast, ie a bright sky or lighting contrasted against a dark room. Anyone that looks at the screen would pick it up, you don't need to be a calibrator to see flicker in the cinema anymore that you do on the 48Hz sets.

It is SUPPOSED to look like that. If you don't like it, there is the 60Hz mode. The difference between the two is so incredibly small yet people make out that a true 24Hz mode is one of the prime reasons to choose a TV. Well, we've been watching 24Hz content at 60Hz for ten years and how many people have you ever heard complain how much different it looks from the cinema? My guess would be NONE, until 1080p24 came about and people started researching and understanding what it was about. It is so far down the list on things I care about on a TV it's not even funny. Motion resolution, interlaced performance, 3:2 performance, ANSI contrast, accuracy of colours, etc., etc., all come ahead of 24Hz performance just like they did before everyone started understanding what it meant.
Are you insinuating that I didn't know about 24p in 1996? Where were you?!

haha, I agree, its a feature I want to play with, but not a deal breaker.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #22

Jan 2009

Quote:
It is SUPPOSED to look like that.
No, it wasn't. I saw that movie in the theater many times while it was playing.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloveHD View Post
No, it wasn't. I saw that movie in the theater many times while it was playing.
Ah, now you're saying you watched TDK on that G10 that they suddenly set up for you?

Okay!

You go ahead and believe there is no 48Hz flicker in the cinema, most people know better.

Last edited by dobyblue; 03-18-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #24

Jan 2009

Quote:
Ah, now you're saying you watched TDK on that G10 that they suddenly set up for you?
I never said anything about TDK. My experience was with Dead Man's Chest, as i wrote in my first post. And that is a movie i saw several times in the cinema...no flicker. Don't be an a#$.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #25

Oct 2007

This argument is getting old.

24p @ 48Hz doesn't seem to be a popular way to view BD's on Panny PDPs. It's a shame they didn't do it at a higher frequency.

Movie theaters do have a certain level of flicker. Its the way it is.

If you think the 24/48Hz on the Pannys is unwatchable then don't use it or buy something else that has better reviews for that feature.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #26

Mar 2009

come on man really punctuation i was simply trying give you guys a little info on the new g10 kinda childish huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #27

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by battousai147 View Post
i just purchased my new panny 50 inch g10 well better i exchanged a sam pn50a760 for the g10 samsung power button on front panel had issue any way you are right about the 24p flicker issue when using the 48hrz mode ive checked it out with tranformers on br indiana jones and the hulk and i have tried to adjust my settings several times but still the flicker is very intense but aside from that the display is amazing excellent blacks great color and im loving the thx mode really does an excellent job of adjusting the settings for you but with this thx mode you can actually adjust some pic settings your self unlike on the 800u so very nice and i love the styling oh and it does produce a deeper black and better color than the sammy it replaced just in case any one was wondering. so far loving it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull View Post
Mix in some punctuation!

EDIT: I'll give you some credit, you used one period.
Quote:
come on man, really, punctuation? I was simply trying give you guys a little info on the new g10. Kinda childish, huh???????????????????????????????????????????????
I was mainly just throwing you a shot. Friendly fun. But really, that post is next to impossible to read. Kinda like a child wrote it! (BTW I fixed your latest post, with proper punctuation.)

Last edited by BrahmaBull; 03-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #28

Mar 2009

I would have to agree with doby on this one. The 24p is a very small part of what i look for in a tv, i do own the tc-p50g10 and yes the flicker is alot more evident in 48hrz mode than it is in 60hrz but honestly the picture quality is amazing on this set, if you are looking to purchase a new tv 24p should probably not be at the top of your gotta have and gotta do it right list!!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #29

Mar 2009

alright i guess i can give you that one, so unguard and until next time!!!! hahaha!!!!!(:
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Yeah, Katzmaier over at CNET complained about 24 flicker in last year's Panasonics. Here's what they had to say about the 2009 models:

According to Panasonic, the G10 and G15 lines will refresh at 48Hz, which leads us to suspect that they'll suffer from the same sort of flicker seen on the 24p modes of last year's PZ800U and PZ850U models. The V10 and Z1 lines, however, will refresh at 96Hz, which shouldn't introduce flicker. We'll know for sure when we get the displays reviewed.

Last edited by repete66211; 03-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #31

Oct 2007

Quote:
alright i guess i can give you that one, so unguard and until next time!!!! hahaha!!!!!(:
haha nice.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #32

Nov 2008
VA

I know its a new tv so theres not a whole lot of info about it but has anyone found any professional recommended calibration settings on this tv yet? Ive looked but havent been able to find much. Im not really interested in going into the service menu, just trying to find the optimal settings for the picture settings.

If anyone comes across anything, post it here. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #33

Nov 2008
VA

This TV is AWESOME, if you are looking at this TV, no need to hesistate. The price dropped right after I bought it... . Currently its 1500 on amazon, considering prices of other tvs out there its a STEAL. Everything looks reallllly good, blu rays and games. Black levels and color accuracy are spot on. Very pleased. I will post pics soon
Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

Guy above me is 100% correct. Everything looks sick. I upgraded to G10 from a samsung DLP and man you can tell the difference.

I really feel like I watched Sweeney Todd for the first time when I got this set. And I've probably "watched" it 14-15 times since I got the blu. The levels of black are just so immaculate.

On a side not, still might get the Z1 when it comes out in 54 inch model. I didn't realize this tv was so heavy. My DLP feels lighter. Odd huh? :/
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #35

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoviet View Post
Guy above me is 100% correct. Everything looks sick. I upgraded to G10 from a samsung DLP and man you can tell the difference.

I really feel like I watched Sweeney Todd for the first time when I got this set. And I've probably "watched" it 14-15 times since I got the blu. The levels of black are just so immaculate.

On a side not, still might get the Z1 when it comes out in 54 inch model. I didn't realize this tv was so heavy. My DLP feels lighter. Odd huh? :/

DLP's are extremely light compared to any TV of their size, even LCD's. All that's really inside is a projector. And these new Pannys are considerably lighter than previous generations, so be thankful. The 50pz800u weighs in at 100lbs with stand. The G10 weighs 75 with stand.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #36

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSB_Paradigm_HSU View Post
I know its a new tv so theres not a whole lot of info about it but has anyone found any professional recommended calibration settings on this tv yet? Ive looked but havent been able to find much. Im not really interested in going into the service menu, just trying to find the optimal settings for the picture settings.

If anyone comes across anything, post it here. Thanks!
CNET came up with some settings. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt
It says 46G10 but it doesn't really matter.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Thornton, CO

After 10 years this bad boy finally popped. Literally. Made a popping noise then went out. Ohh well, this was my mom's TV, replaced it with my original Samsung 4k TV. Save some $ on that energy bill mom!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #38

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
After 10 years this bad boy finally popped. Literally. Made a popping noise then went out. Ohh well, this was my mom's TV, replaced it with my original Samsung 4k TV. Save some $ on that energy bill mom!
Still loving my 50" VT25 plasma, after 8 years it's still going strong

When she does eventually die on me, I'll be looking at online classified sites for a used Panny plasma. I frequently go into my local high end audio/video shops, and occasionally shop at big box stores for movies and other accessories... and I've yet to see any LCD, LED, OLED, 4K or other tv set that has a more natural and film-like presentation than even a entry-mid level plasma, regardless of price. And most importantly, none of them present motion properly... I think current displays are a very noticeable step backwards, and seem to just keep getting more and more artificial enhanced looking

I'd go for an entry-mid level projector and screen over any current TV's, even if I was only going to use the projector to produce a 60-70" image.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

I just stumbled on this thread and realized that all of these years later I never updated the firmware on my Panny Plasma. I don't have it connected to the internet, and from what I could tell, the update to the THX setting was still far from perfect. I have my set calibrated from the "Custom" baseline. Looks fantastic. On the THX setting, even with the updated firmware, it still looks rather dull. Glad this thread was here.

*So I took the ethernet cable from my PS4 and just connected to the TV to update it. Worked like a charm.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs