Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
4 hrs ago
Dead of Night (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Penguin Highway (Blu-ray)
$16.99
12 hrs ago
The 100: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$8.96
11 hrs ago
Alphaville (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Vampires (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Flesh Gordon (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Chiefy Chiefy is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Chiefy's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-
1
394
Default Amazon Fire Stick (Youtube app) doesn't play Google Play content?

If anyone can figure out a way how to play purchased/redeemed Google Play videos thru the Youtube app on the Amazon Fire stick, that would be great. The app "sees", and allows you to select and play your videos, but when you try, it just stalls.

Is Amazon blocking their competitor? If so, why the hell would they add the Youtube app, and enable you to "see" your owned videos?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Aftvnews has instructions. Been up since June '14.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Chiefy Chiefy is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Chiefy's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-
1
394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Aftvnews has instructions. Been up since June '14.
Fire Stick has been available since Nov 2014 or so?
If you know for a fact these instructions have been available since June '14, could you have provided the link with your reply?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Using a tablet.

Instructions were for the fire TV...not stick.

However, did find other instructions for the stick that said to use Plex and the Kodi "non-Plex" Plex works better....with the stick.

If I were using a computer, I would. But linking with a tablet...sucks.

Use your Google-Fu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
satam55 satam55 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2010
Texas
29
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Aftvnews has instructions. Been up since June '14.
So.........You're not gonna bother to post the link?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
3
637
60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satam55 View Post
So.........You're not gonna bother to post the link?
This member is mostly a useless troll from everything I've seen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Useless troll?

Better put down your own club...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Chiefy Chiefy is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Chiefy's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-
1
394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Useless troll?

Better put down your own club...
If you take the time to reply to a question someone is asking, the right thing to do is to actually provide accurate concise information; not just dangle a carrot. It's the courteous thing to do.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
KFelon (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
If you take the time to reply to a question someone is asking, the right thing to do is to actually provide accurate concise information; not just dangle a carrot. It's the courteous thing to do.
And I'm using a LG G Pad. Copy-paste is a long drawn out affair.

Basically...

Root the Fire Stick(are we allowed to discuss such things?)

Or...

Use Plex.

And yes. I know full well the hoops....

Play store to Plex.

I have a Roku (now a 3, prior one I forget) and a Netgear NeoTV.

Getting them both to play the same content...is no picnic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
satam55 satam55 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2010
Texas
29
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satam55 View Post
So.........You're not gonna bother to post the link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
This member is mostly a useless troll from everything I've seen.
WTF are you talking about? I asked a legit question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
3
637
60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satam55 View Post
WTF are you talking about? I asked a legit question.
I'm referring to schan
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #12
mikey_myers138 mikey_myers138 is offline
Member
 
mikey_myers138's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Haddonfield, IL
351
158
623
122
Default

Ugh! This is bullshit!!! I'm beginning to dislike Amazon more and more.

Last edited by mikey_myers138; 03-29-2015 at 02:27 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #13
Chiefy Chiefy is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Chiefy's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-
1
394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_myers138 View Post
Ugh! This is bullshit!!! I'm beginning to dislike Amazon more and more.
Oh, I was about to try what you suggested about clearing the cache. It no longer works?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
mikey_myers138 mikey_myers138 is offline
Member
 
mikey_myers138's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Haddonfield, IL
351
158
623
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
Oh, I was about to try what you suggested about clearing the cache. It no longer works?
Yeah Chiefy, I didn't read your entire post (on my phone). I couldn't even see it on mine. I clear the cookies on the app and it showed up. Lo and behold when I tried playing it, it didn't work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #15
BlakkMajik3000 BlakkMajik3000 is offline
Senior Member
 
BlakkMajik3000's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
479 via 318
5
474
89
942
259
197
87
Default

Amazon hardware (Fire TV/Stick/Tablet) runs modified versions of Android. AFAIK, none of them support the Google Play Store or any Google specific apps (Music, Movies, etc.).

However, it's kind of surprising that the YouTube app won't play your GP movies either. Playback could be blocked by either party for a variety of reasons. Do you have any DMA movies linked to your GP account? If so, do those play via YT?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
Chiefy Chiefy is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Chiefy's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-
1
394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_myers138 View Post
Yeah Chiefy, I didn't read your entire post (on my phone). I couldn't even see it on mine. I clear the cookies on the app and it showed up. Lo and behold when I tried playing it, it didn't work.
I cleared the cache also, and nothing. I then did a pending update of the app, and still nothing. Why can't things just work? I don't need another streaming device! Total bogus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
Amazon hardware (Fire TV/Stick/Tablet) runs modified versions of Android. AFAIK, none of them support the Google Play Store or any Google specific apps (Music, Movies, etc.).

However, it's kind of surprising that the YouTube app won't play your GP movies either. Playback could be blocked by either party for a variety of reasons. Do you have any DMA movies linked to your GP account? If so, do those play via YT?
I wish I could test this out, but I don't have any. I've tried signing up in the past, but apparently someone used my email address? I need to look into this again.

---------------------------------------------------
I would try another streamer, but the others I own are all from 2012 or older. Apparently Youtube is going away on any device from 2012 or older (no longer supported in April). Kind of makes you wonder if the same will happen with CinemaNow, VUDU, Google Play, iTunes, etc., in the future to kill off those services, and make us buy our movies all over again. "We're sorry, but due to licensing agreements, we no longer support this service. We have a new exciting program under development, blah, blah, blah."
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #17
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
3
637
60
Default

From what I've read, this is the same for all purchased content. I think it might be on YouTube's side, as they've only enabled certain devices/app versions to support purchased content playback. I believe many Roku devices have the same issue

Edit: some people have gotten playback to work on other devices by adding/updating their birthdate on Google Plus through their PC browser (sign up for Plus if you haven't already). Also make sure to turn Safety Mode to off if such an option is available. No idea if that would work for the Amazon devices, but couldn't hurt

Last edited by MifuneFan; 03-29-2015 at 03:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
mikey_myers138 mikey_myers138 is offline
Member
 
mikey_myers138's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
Haddonfield, IL
351
158
623
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post

---------------------------------------------------
I would try another streamer, but the others I own are all from 2012 or older. Apparently Youtube is going away on any device from 2012 or older (no longer supported in April). Kind of makes you wonder if the same will happen with CinemaNow, VUDU, Google Play, iTunes, etc., in the future to kill off those services, and make us buy our movies all over again. "We're sorry, but due to licensing agreements, we no longer support this service. We have a new exciting program under development, blah, blah, blah."
You could look in to sideloading the google play app. Seems pretty easy, but I never wanted to try it on my wife's personal phone. Here's a youtube video that explains the process.


Last edited by mikey_myers138; 03-29-2015 at 05:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
schan1269 schan1269 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
From what I've read, this is the same for all purchased content. I think it might be on YouTube's side, as they've only enabled certain devices/app versions to support purchased content playback. I believe many Roku devices have the same issue

Edit: some people have gotten playback to work on other devices by adding/updating their birthdate on Google Plus through their PC browser (sign up for Plus if you haven't already). Also make sure to turn Safety Mode to off if such an option is available. No idea if that would work for the Amazon devices, but couldn't hurt
Yep, Roku and NeoTV have the same issue.

Like I said, even using Plex(and altered versions) I can't get them to play 100% of my content.

The only thing they'll both play 100% of...is UV code(which I started using in December).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
jbloggs jbloggs is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
jbloggs's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
10
927
Default

I believe AFTV supports Mirroring so you could possibly mirror playing the movie on an Android phone/table onto the AFTV Stick

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2865484?hl=en

Also here is another discussion that may interest you...

http://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comme...rom_google_on/
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 AM.