Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
4 hrs ago
Dead of Night (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Penguin Highway (Blu-ray)
$16.99
12 hrs ago
The 100: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$8.96
11 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Alphaville (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Vampires (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
GuyIncognito GuyIncognito is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
28
447
102
1049
134
93
Default Why is there no Google Play category on this site?

We have UV, iTunes, and I noticed recently that Amazon Instant Video has been added. Why no Google Play category? Disney uses Google Play. Many other movies are on it. HBO uses Google Play (I have Sopranos, Game of Thrones, The Wire). Right now I have to add it to my UV library and notate that it's actually on Google Play.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
gabby98 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:04 AM   #2
RBBrittain RBBrittain is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RBBrittain's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR
2
1070
87
648
235
2
Default

My guess is the streaming categories we have exist due to user demand. DMA isn't a separate category because iTunes has been a DMA provider since day one (and in the beginning was the only provider). I track all my DMA movies under iTunes; most of my other Google Play movies are duplicates of titles elsewhere (i.e., if I got UV via Instawatch on a Fox movie I usually redeem its code slip at Google Play).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:39 AM   #3
Me-Hostage Me-Hostage is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aug 2011
3
11
53
1958
3
192
Default

I don't understand why there isn't just one single listing per movie for digital releases, and just link all the services to that movie in one listing... would be much easier and cleaner than having UV, Amazon, Amazon HD, iTunes, iTunes, and the others that are not even listed...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
GuyIncognito GuyIncognito is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
28
447
102
1049
134
93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
My guess is the streaming categories we have exist due to user demand. DMA isn't a separate category because iTunes has been a DMA provider since day one (and in the beginning was the only provider). I track all my DMA movies under iTunes; most of my other Google Play movies are duplicates of titles elsewhere (i.e., if I got UV via Instawatch on a Fox movie I usually redeem its code slip at Google Play).
In this case you would just track your movies as iTunes if that's what you watch. DMA isn't really a type of code like iTunes or UV is. Google Play is a different format to watch content. I would say there are four formats right now. UV, iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. I think They should each have a category.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
RBBrittain RBBrittain is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RBBrittain's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR
2
1070
87
648
235
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
In this case you would just track your movies as iTunes if that's what you watch. DMA isn't really a type of code like iTunes or UV is. Google Play is a different format to watch content. I would say there are four formats right now. UV, iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. I think They should each have a category.
Actually, DMA is even more "a type of code" than UV. While UV codes are always redeemed at UV providers, IIRC only Vudu lets you redeem DMA/DMR codes directly at the site (as DC+, not DMA proper) without going thru a Disney site first (DMA, DMR or DC+). Not to mention you can watch DMA movies on the DMA website or app without going thru a provider; if you're only redeeming codes as DMA, you don't have to link a provider to it at all (unlike UV).

I'm an Android person myself and prefer to play my DMA movies in Google Play (especially the older Academy-ratio ones -- only Google Play takes full advantage of my Galaxy Tab S2's 1.33:1 AR *and* better-than-1080p resolution), but without a Google Play or DMA category here I find it easier to keep up with my DMA movies under iTunes; I certainly don't want them under UV, and Amazon waited too long to join DMA.

Last edited by RBBrittain; 03-06-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Clarify
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
Evil Evil is offline
Contributor
 
Evil's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
USA
5
-
-
-
-
101
107
Default

One of the developers tried to integrate Google Play last year but was unable to:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...4&postcount=21
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
TheDean (04-01-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
AnemicOak AnemicOak is offline
Special Member
 
AnemicOak's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Archbury
263
626
179
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I would say there are four formats right now. UV, iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. I think They should each have a category.
Then shouldn't Vudu be it's own category too? Only a portion of their catalog is UV, a bunch of titles are not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
echopulse echopulse is offline
Senior Member
 
Mar 2013
8
2
Default

Also, lots of movies that aren't UV, such as Disney ones are listed as UV. Basically any movie with a code, even an iTunes code is listed as UV. In my opinion, all movies should be listed as Digital, with links to the different stores under each movies detail page.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
GuyIncognito GuyIncognito is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
28
447
102
1049
134
93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Then shouldn't Vudu be it's own category too? Only a portion of their catalog is UV, a bunch of titles are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echopulse View Post
Also, lots of movies that aren't UV, such as Disney ones are listed as UV. Basically any movie with a code, even an iTunes code is listed as UV. In my opinion, all movies should be listed as Digital, with links to the different stores under each movies detail page.
But since Vudu connects to UV, that's what it's considered. Is Google Play or iTunes at all compatible with UV? Those libraries don't link up at all do they (except Disney)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 AM   #10
Evil Evil is offline
Contributor
 
Evil's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
USA
5
-
-
-
-
101
107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
But since Vudu connects to UV, that's what it's considered. Is Google Play or iTunes at all compatible with UV? Those libraries don't link up at all do they (except Disney)?
Nope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
AnemicOak AnemicOak is offline
Special Member
 
AnemicOak's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Archbury
263
626
179
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
But since Vudu connects to UV, that's what it's considered.
I get that, but a large percentage of their content isn't UV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #12
satam55 satam55 is offline
Active Member
 
Mar 2010
Texas
29
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
We have UV, iTunes, and I noticed recently that Amazon Instant Video has been added. Why no Google Play category? Disney uses Google Play. Many other movies are on it. HBO uses Google Play (I have Sopranos, Game of Thrones, The Wire). Right now I have to add it to my UV library and notate that it's actually on Google Play.
Because. Google Play isn't a popular VOD store. iTunes, Amazon Video, & even Vudu are all way more popular.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #13
TheDean TheDean is offline
Moderator
 
TheDean's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
24
48
1782
1153
1239
859
1522
4
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygz View Post
I was wondering if there was any update on adding Google Play. I just started editing current movies that support Google play, but weren't listed before. After the 3rd or 4th movie I realized I may be wasting my time if the ability to search by Google Play is not implemented yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Actually I tried implementing Google Play for the site a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find a Google Play API for movies(?!) so I couldn't connect it with the site.

Edit: It doesn't seem to exist unfortunately, but I suspect it will be added in a near future, then we'll add it right away.


http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...play-movie-api
This is why
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 AM.