Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93
 
Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
21 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99
 
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Local Hero (Blu-ray)
$30.37
7 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38
 
Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48
 
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69
 
Polyester (Blu-ray)
$27.37
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #1
58lambert58 58lambert58 is offline
Active Member
 
58lambert58's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
588
6
49
366
28
189
Default Google Play codes

The last two codes I've bought have redeemed in SD only. All of my Game of Thrones codes have redeemed in HD. Why am I getting SD all of a sudden? The two codes I redeemed recently were from blu-rays. They were Crashing Season 1 and Confirmation. I've used every app I can think of on my computer and Roku 4 but still get SD. Do I have to have a Chromecast?

Last edited by 58lambert58; 08-06-2017 at 01:52 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Eurion Eurion is offline
Member
 
Mar 2015
Dusseldorf, Germany
71
13
189
73
240
Default

This seems to be a recent thing. What I'm wondering if there's anyhtthing we can do to get them upgraded. Pretty disappointing otherwise. I recently got GoT on google but it appears to all be in SD ☹️
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
Eurion Eurion is offline
Member
 
Mar 2015
Dusseldorf, Germany
71
13
189
73
240
Default

As a follow up, if a code redeems as SD on googleplay does it still give you an option to purchase HD? I'm looking at my GoT seasons but don't see any option to purchase a higher qualirty. However when I view GoT through youtube the highest resolution I can select in 480p which leads me to believe the series is in SD especially since I 'bought' the season 7 specials (for free) in HD and can stream those on youtube in 1080p.

This is very confusing?! Anybody have any tips to figure out what qualiy I have?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
tgnajar tgnajar is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2010
Default

I have the same exact problem. I recently bought blu-ray's of GotG 2, X-Men: Apoc, Logan, and Deadpool, and all of the codes that I redeemed through Google Play are in SD which I just realized last night (realized it though the Youtube mobile app, which is supposed to support HD when web Youtube will not for movies). Like you guys said, previous codes I've redeemed have all been HD.

I opened a ticket with YouTube/Google play last night that hasn't proved fruitful yet, as they just told me to watch on a supported device or on Google Play for HD. I think you guys should do the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Eurion Eurion is offline
Member
 
Mar 2015
Dusseldorf, Germany
71
13
189
73
240
Default

Yeag, guess I'll have to do that ad well :-(
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #6
Eurion Eurion is offline
Member
 
Mar 2015
Dusseldorf, Germany
71
13
189
73
240
Default

I have a question, does it actually allow you to still buy the HD copy of the movie or tv series if you own SD?
Because I don't have this option for game of thrones so does it mean that they have actually redeemed in HD but I just can't watch them on Youtube?
Or have they redeemed in SD and is the google play website just screwed up?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
tgnajar tgnajar is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2010
Default

Same as you. Doesn't even allow me to buy the HD of the SD movies, both on Youtube and Google Play.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
steve_dave steve_dave is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
Nov 2008
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurion View Post
I have a question, does it actually allow you to still buy the HD copy of the movie or tv series if you own SD?
Because I don't have this option for game of thrones so does it mean that they have actually redeemed in HD but I just can't watch them on Youtube?
Or have they redeemed in SD and is the google play website just screwed up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnajar View Post
Same as you. Doesn't even allow me to buy the HD of the SD movies, both on Youtube and Google Play.
Google Play is "once you buy it, you own it." You can't upgrade from SD to HD unless you contact them to remove the SD purchase. FandangoNow is the same way, once boughten its owned. Upgrading on FandangoNow requires some hoop jumping to do it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (11-14-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

I'm not using Google Play, but I ran into this recently with VUDU with John Wick. Which doesn't redeem in UHD, but in HDX. I've contacted Lionsgate about it and they are suppose to contact me once it upgrades to UHD. So it makes me think that these streaming services and the studios have an agreement with one another. I can tell you that until they work it out or give us an incentive I'll be limiting who I redeem through or selling my DC's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
tgnajar tgnajar is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2010
Default

Google play support was no help. They basically told me I must have accidentally redeemed the SD versions of the movies instead of the HD, and there is nothing they can do, which is a load of crap. There is no way I would have made that mistake 4 times in a row. I am almost certain there wasn't redeem options for HD vs SD. It doesn't even make sense that there would be. Anyone else have any luck?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Greyman Greyman is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Greyman's Avatar
 
May 2013
258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnajar View Post
I have the same exact problem. I recently bought blu-ray's of GotG 2, X-Men: Apoc, Logan, and Deadpool, and all of the codes that I redeemed through Google Play are in SD which I just realized last night (realized it though the Youtube mobile app, which is supposed to support HD when web Youtube will not for movies). Like you guys said, previous codes I've redeemed have all been HD.

I opened a ticket with YouTube/Google play last night that hasn't proved fruitful yet, as they just told me to watch on a supported device or on Google Play for HD. I think you guys should do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnajar View Post
Google play support was no help. They basically told me I must have accidentally redeemed the SD versions of the movies instead of the HD, and there is nothing they can do, which is a load of crap. There is no way I would have made that mistake 4 times in a row. I am almost certain there wasn't redeem options for HD vs SD. It doesn't even make sense that there would be. Anyone else have any luck?
I don't think those movies even have SD codes available. If Google won't acknowledge the problem, complain to Fox and Disney.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
worrywort worrywort is offline
Expert Member
 
worrywort's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
1
165
Default

Add The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks GooglePlay to the list of impacted titles
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
TVENOMG TVENOMG is offline
Active Member
 
TVENOMG's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
101
2
Default

Same happened me redeeming Alien Covenant from the 4k bluray. It only redeemed in sd. Long story short after a long back and forth with both fox and google, each blames the other and wont help at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #14
Chiefy Chiefy is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Chiefy's Avatar
 
Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN
-
-
-
-
-
-
1
394
Default

I just found out about this today. I redeemed Game of Thrones S5 & 6 from Blu-rays. I started at HBODigitalHD.com, which then takes you to Google to finalize the purchase/redemption. There was no choosing SD or HD. It just redeemed. My previous seasons all play in HD. Total bogus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
43
403
142
233
38
Default

Why would anyone redeem in GP? I've never even seen the option.

Only time I use the app is for the 75% off rentals or when it's something that's only on Google and ITunes and nowhere else like The Chaser
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #16
Undeadcow Undeadcow is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nov 2011
Houston, TX
1855
157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Why would anyone redeem in GP? I've never even seen the option...
HBO titles redeem three times - UV, iTunes, and Google Play so it'd be a waste to not use the Google Play portion.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
flyry (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #17
GuyIncognito GuyIncognito is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
GuyIncognito's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
28
447
102
1052
134
93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Why would anyone redeem in GP? I've never even seen the option.

Only time I use the app is for the 75% off rentals or when it's something that's only on Google and ITunes and nowhere else like The Chaser
Perhaps because they are even cheaper than iTunes codes and the redeem is an additional option. I have most of the HBO series on Google
Sopranos
Entorage
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Deadwood
Game of Thrones 1-6
Silicon Valley 1 & 2
Vice Principles 1
Insecure 1

So why wouldn't someone redeem using this method?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
flyry flyry is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
43
403
142
233
38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
Perhaps because they are even cheaper than iTunes codes and the redeem is an additional option. I have most of the HBO series on Google
Sopranos
Entorage
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Deadwood
Game of Thrones 1-6
Silicon Valley 1 & 2
Vice Principles 1
Insecure 1

So why wouldn't someone redeem using this method?
The app leaves a lot to be desired design wise. And that's me being nice.

But I did not know HBO series could be redeemed there and that's all you listed to thank you and the other guy for that info.

I personally don't buy TV shows though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 PM   #19
nugent nugent is offline
Power Member
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
1495
2
582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
Perhaps because they are even cheaper than iTunes codes and the redeem is an additional option. I have most of the HBO series on Google
Sopranos
Entorage
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire

Deadwood
Game of Thrones 1-6
Silicon Valley 1 & 2
Vice Principles 1
Insecure 1

So why wouldn't someone redeem using this method?
I have all the above bolded titles plus "The Knick", "True Detective", "Ballers" all redeemed from Google Play codes.

I went back and checked on my Roku and everything is HD with the exception of the Entourage Complete Series which is in SD.

So I assume it is pointless to even contact Google Play?
Has anyone successfully gotten Entourage in HD?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 AM   #20
AnemicOak AnemicOak is offline
Special Member
 
AnemicOak's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Archbury
263
627
179
87
Default

Sucks, I had somehow missed this thread. I redeemed Deadwood a couple weeks ago and just checked on YouTube to see it's only SD.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Google Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 PM.