Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Event Horizon (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Graveyards of Honor (Blu-ray)
$62.99

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Western Stars (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 hr ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-30-2020, 08:25 AM   #1

Jun 2019
Default Has Stallone Been Playing Dumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guydowood View Post
Sylvester Stallone has revealed in an answer to my comment via his Instagram with his announcement of Rambo:Last Blood Extended Cut was coming out. I asked him about the once rumored Rocky Balboa DC.

Is Stallone joking? I really can't tell. That's one of the last movies of his that I would expect to have a director's cut. It's just a cheesy '80s film with music and montages, and a shallow unity speech at the end. I don't know what artistic merit could possibly be edited back in to such a hokey movie. Rocky IV just doesn't seem like something that needs to be touched, it's just there and sort of dumb fun.

That's what disappoints me about Stallone. A lot of his movies were dumb enjoyable fun, but I know that he was capable of so much more. The first Rocky and First Blood showed us promise, intelligence, and featured emotionally involving social insights. They seemed to suggest a more pensive screenwriter/star, someone who could bring a wit sorely lacking in most big budget action flicks. What did he give us? Increasingly witless and formulaic sequels to the two franchises, with a side serving of trash like Staying Alive, Cobra, and Over the Top. It's like he was writing to please the lowest common denominator, with some shallow oblivious "statements" tossed in as an afterthought to some of his movies. He's a clever dude, that's apparent in his interviews and his early scripts. He's also a very good actor when given the proper material and direction. So his later work confounds me for being so... dumb.

First Blood Part II and Rocky IV both try to tackle political issues with Stallone speeches at the end, but they do so with ham-fisted patriotism and the subtlety of a Rambo infiltration plan. In the former, you roll your eyes at how cliche it is. A speech about the troops rings especially hollow when it follows an entire film devoted to almost nothing but Rambo making things explode. In Rocky his speech to the Soviets is so on the nose and laughable. You can argue that it's because Rocky is supposed to be a simple every-man, but I think that would be giving Stallone too much credit. He weaved his messages in with grace and more subtlety in the earlier films in the series, he's got no excuse for this other than '80s excess, or pandering to as broad an audience as possible while insulting the intelligence of the audience.

Some of these films are still fun to watch, but I can't help but think he never lived up to his earliest potential, opting to go the easy route of a generic action star. It would have been interesting to see him tackle more dramatic roles, or write a few less sensational stories. The man is smarter than his filmography suggests, and I don't know why he continues to churn out so many dreadful efforts.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2017

I can't believe you forgot to mention Cop Land.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #3

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmon112 View Post
I can't believe you forgot to mention Cop Land.
He didn't have a hand in writing that one, so I left it out. But that was a good performance. A diamond in the rough.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTastyChili View Post

with a side serving of trash like Staying Alive, Cobra, and Over the Top.
Cobra is a masterpiece.
Thanks given by:
captainron_howdy (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #5

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Herbert West View Post
Cobra is a masterpiece.
I thought it was a C-list Dirty Harry, a collection of noise and cliches. Maybe kind of fun, but 100% disposable '80s fluff. Are you using "masterpiece" in a "so bad it's great" way, or arguing its up there with Citizen Kane?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Elsinore

Quote:
I thought it was a C-list Dirty Harry, a collection of noise and cliches. Maybe kind of fun, but 100% disposable '80s fluff. Are you using "masterpiece" in a "so bad it's great" way, or arguing its up there with Citizen Kane?
I'm with you on this one with Cobra, it's identity was confused, it didn't know if it was trying to be a hip cop detective drama, bad-ass Dirty Harry thriller, or urban horror. I've only ever seen the version available on blu ray, not the mystery extended cut which apparently is much better.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Are you using "masterpiece" in a "so bad it's great" way, or arguing its up there with Citizen Kane?
I'll let you decide.

Thanks given by:
captainron_howdy (06-30-2020), Himmel (06-30-2020), Malv1 (06-30-2020), TAC (06-30-2020), tcripe (06-30-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies