Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Event Horizon (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Graveyards of Honor (Blu-ray)
$62.99

Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Western Stars (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Weathering with You (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

View Poll Results: Getting The PS5 day one ?
Day one hell yeah 54 65.06%
Will wait a few months 24 28.92%
not interested 5 6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2020, 03:37 AM   #81
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Instant. Like cartridges! The Atari 2600, Colecovision, SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, etc. The only thing that held those games from booting up instantly is when the developer insisted on leaving the introduction logos and name brands before the game could be accessed, since loading wasn't required for cartridges. Those were the days I missed with no loading. The PS5 might help bring some of that back.
That’s exactly what Mark’s goal was when creating the PS5.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #82
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
That’s exactly what Mark’s goal was when creating the PS5.
Cool. That's good to hear that's the goal this new generation.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #83
Power Member

Aug 2017

I've never been a day one console buyer. But for the past two gens, we've had a console before Christmas of the release year. With the rumor that the PS5 would be backward compatible with at least PS4, I became optimistic that this gen would be no different. Now that they appear to have confirmed that's not the case - aside from a feeble number of VERY late in the game PS4 releases, that does little but imply they could have accommodated the entire PS4 catalog had they planned ahead, and that backward compatibility of any kind from this gen of Sony just appears to be a rather pathetic response to Microsoft's genuine backward support - we'll likely wait 'til late next-year at the earliest, depending on how many games are available, exclusive to the PS5 that we REALLY want to play.

For the first time ever, I might actually get Microsoft's console, and we've never even played any generation of Xbox before, and generally despise the company after the exceedingly underhanded campaign they endorsed in support of HD-DVD. But backward compatibility is an extremely consumer-friendly move that warrants our attention. And should we go that route, it'll only likely put off our getting a PS5 even longer, since we'll be able to play Xbox exclusives going back two generations and still keep up with the majority of titles that are cross-platform. Huge ball-drop for Sony!! And frankly, I'm tired of having both a rarely used PS3 (for just a relative few games that we love but have still not been ported to the PS4 (Resistance trilogy, Arkham Origins, etal) and a PS4 with external HD sitting on the shelf. I'm not at all enthused about having to make room for yet another console. The indication that they could have plausibly supported backward compatibility with the entire PS4 gen, if true, Sony fully deserves it, if such comes back to bite them. If this truly is the last generation Sony intends to produce a standalone console before transitioning to online gaming only, backward compatibility would have been a GREAT way to go out! The PS5 may need to be even more aggressively priced than the PS4 was at launch, if they're going to remain competitive this gen. With one of their biggest exclusives, The Last of Us 2, already coming to PS4, it might be a while before they have a large enough stable of PS5 exclusives to draw a crowd.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:24 AM   #84
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Backwards compatibility was never the main reason I bought any console. For me, it's icing on the cake.

And the number one reason I'll buy the PS5 is to play the newest games on the latest technology (and because I favor Sony over the disaster console experience I had with the 360's Red Ring melt downs.) I still have many of my old consoles and connect them for play every now and then for nostalgia. It would be cool to have them all connected at one time, but it's not practical at the moment.

In that sense, I understand why having one console that could play all past generations of that brand would be appealing, if that is what XBox Series X can do with the original XBox, 360 and XB1 to different degrees.

Compactness is nice, not having to have several consoles connected, but a serious question for those who would choose one console over another because it offers wider compatibility with older games. How often do you play the older games if you hardly use your past consoles?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:44 AM   #85
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
I've never been a day one console buyer. But for the past two gens, we've had a console before Christmas of the release year. With the rumor that the PS5 would be backward compatible with at least PS4, I became optimistic that this gen would be no different. Now that they appear to have confirmed that's not the case - aside from a feeble number of VERY late in the game PS4 releases, that does little but imply they could have accommodated the entire PS4 catalog had they planned ahead, and that backward compatibility of any kind from this gen of Sony just appears to be a rather pathetic response to Microsoft's genuine backward support - we'll likely wait 'til late next-year at the earliest, depending on how many games are available, exclusive to the PS5 that we REALLY want to play.

For the first time ever, I might actually get Microsoft's console, and we've never even played any generation of Xbox before, and generally despise the company after the exceedingly underhanded campaign they endorsed in support of HD-DVD. But backward compatibility is an extremely consumer-friendly move that warrants our attention. And should we go that route, it'll only likely put off our getting a PS5 even longer, since we'll be able to play Xbox exclusives going back two generations and still keep up with the majority of titles that are cross-platform. Huge ball-drop for Sony!! And frankly, I'm tired of having both a rarely used PS3 (for just a relative few games that we love but have still not been ported to the PS4 (Resistance trilogy, Arkham Origins, etal) and a PS4 with external HD sitting on the shelf. I'm not at all enthused about having to make room for yet another console. The indication that they could have plausibly supported backward compatibility with the entire PS4 gen, if true, Sony fully deserves it, if such comes back to bite them. If this truly is the last generation Sony intends to produce a standalone console before transitioning to online gaming only, backward compatibility would have been a GREAT way to go out! The PS5 may need to be even more aggressively priced than the PS4 was at launch, if they're going to remain competitive this gen. With one of their biggest exclusives, The Last of Us 2, already coming to PS4, it might be a while before they have a large enough stable of PS5 exclusives to draw a crowd.

Nearly all 4,000 + PS4 games will be playable Day 1 on PS5.

Only thing we don’t know is what specific games are enhanced & updated for PS5? We have Mark saying 100 games will be “enhanced” Day 1 for PS5.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #86
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:

Only thing we don’t know is what specific games are enhanced & updated for PS5? We have Mark saying 100 games will be “enhanced” Day 1 for PS5.
Exactly! I'm not sure why people are finding this hard to grasp? Every PS4 game will play on the PS5, however not all will be enhanced. The non-enhanced will use "legacy" mode and play as if they've been inserted into a PS4/Pro.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #87
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticMutation View Post
Exactly! I'm not sure why people are finding this hard to grasp? Every PS4 game will play on the PS5, however not all will be enhanced. The non-enhanced will use "legacy" mode and play as if they've been inserted into a PS4/Pro.
For me, all of this is good news. I'm still playing on my day 1 PS4 so everything I'll be playing is going to be an upgrade. I can't wait to see how "enhanced" everything looks.
Thanks given by:
ScarredLungs (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #88
Power Member

Aug 2017

Quote:

Thanks for the correction. Prior to posting I had just watched some gamer channel video stating that the only PS4 games guaranteed to work at all on the PS5 would be those released from June 2020 and forward. The video further indicated that games released prior to this month would be potluck, if that. If they'll play as well as they do on the PS4, I'm fine with that. Though, I suspect it'll be a mite better, if the PS5 uses an SSD.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:34 AM   #89

Feb 2016
Melbourne, Victoria (Australia)

I voted day one. PS5 (Physical/Digital version).
Old 07-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #90
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

Ideally Day 1 + HZD: Forbidden West (I have not heard a release date)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #91
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarredLungs View Post
Ideally Day 1 + HZD: Forbidden West (I have not heard a release date)
HFW is 2021
Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #92
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I have two "for sures" regarding day one purchases and thats Spiderman Miles Mirales and Kena Bridge of Spirits. Not to mention Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us 2, and Ghost of Tsushima.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #93
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
HFW is 2021
I saw that a little after I posted this comment. That will also be a Day 1 for me. Is there a compiled list anywhere of what games are launching Day 1 for the PS5?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5