Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.40
3 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$13.00
12 hrs ago
War and Peace (Blu-ray)
$34.22
4 hrs ago
Black Swan (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37

Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

La vie de JÚsus (Blu-ray)
$27.37
6 hrs ago
Blade Runner (Blu-ray)
$5.00
14 hrs ago
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
South Park: The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
$31.97
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 03:38 AM   #281

Jan 2011

LDs usually win out in any sound format due to using untouched or less manipulated audio mixes. This explains why even 384 kbp/s lossy Ac3 tracks from LD can outdo lossless later releases.
Older films-even classic titles in mono-can sound better due to a lack of noise filtering, EQ, and overzealous corrections being applied these days.

But in terms of DTS it's really dependent on the mix and how it was treated over time. A number of DTS LDs were released on DVD before they halved the bitrate. Many were reissues of titles that already had releases in ac3.

Unfortunately due the rarity and value I've only heard a few and own three. But I will admit after many, MANY comparisons across formats that I do give the slight nod to the DTS LDs for these three titles as just having extra potency and a slight bit more enjoyment.

Those are: The Shadow, Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies. These are three of my favorite sounding films ever made, good demo titles and still sound great today-particularly the latter. Each has a BD release with lossless audio that seems relatively untouched yet when compared, the LD DTS simply sounds a tad better.

I've compared these against: DVD ac3, DVD DTS, LD ac3, LD PCM Dolby Surround and HDMA tracks from their respective BLu-ray releases. Heck I even compared to VHS hifi and the mono folddowns.

TND is the same mix on all releases but while clarity is gained going from 2.0 to 5,1 ac3, the DTS has an additional clarity to it that is hard to define. I think the reason the DTS audio sounds better is perhaps that the BD audio may have been slightly EQd or something but they are admittedly very close.

On the other hand Goldeneye is not the same on all releases-all 2.0 and 5.1 ac3 tracks on Laserdisc and the initial DVDs have a very heavy bass that magnifies into a super hot LFE track in the ac3 track. This is not on the LD DTS or any other release, but the LD DTS is noticeably clearer sounding and more balanced.
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #282
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
L
On the other hand Goldeneye is not the same on all releases-all 2.0 and 5.1 ac3 tracks on Laserdisc and the initial DVDs have a very heavy bass that magnifies into a super hot LFE track in the ac3 track. This is not on the LD DTS or any other release, but the LD DTS is noticeably clearer sounding and more balanced.
The LD of Goldeneye (which I bought when it was brand new and cost a princely sum) has bass which is really overbearing, and you can feel it in both your fillings and your colon. Whilst some might relish the prospect, it just sounds as though something wasn't quite right when they were transferring the stems.

My recommendation for BD arse-kicking audio is Alien Resurrection. The piece with the ship exploding mops the floor with any other incarnation.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (03-12-2019), Hindustani (03-17-2019), ZombieTwin2 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #283
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
The Virgin State

Holy cow this thread is still going. I've had to get rid of all my DTS LaserDiscs and only keep Nightmare Before Christmas along with my other releases of Nightmare Before Christmas but having that setup was really nice though I never heard JP or Lost World any other way which was enjoyable at the time.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #284

May 2009

I have The Crow (dts) and it sounds fantastic.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #285
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

The only Laserdisc titles I have in my collection are titles that have not been released yet on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, standard Blu-ray, or DVD. The only exception to that rule is if only the Laserdisc version has the extended directors cut. Then the Laserdisc or DVD version is better since the entire extended movie exists.

There are many titles that were released on Laserdisc and DVD that well never see a Blu-ray version released. I also have some 1080i D-VHS titles. It happens with every format, when the new and improved format comes out certain older titles never make it to that new and improved optical format.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion