Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.96
3 hrs ago
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
7 hrs ago
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37
3 hrs ago
AVP Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Outlander: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$44.95

Furie (Blu-ray)
$17.58
48 min ago
Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Blu-ray)
$25.66

Spider-Man Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.58

Replicas (Blu-ray)
$18.84

Miss Bala (Blu-ray)
$22.96
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 AM   #1

Feb 2018
Default Confused on which 4K tv on a budget

So I've mostly been reading amazon reviews to get feedback on what to avoid, which probably isn't the best idea because there's always someone with plenty of reason to vote one star, no matter how big or expensive the tv was.

I don't wanna spend much more than 600-700 but definitely want 65", and there's a few options for that. Reviews mostly boil down to Samsung being far and away the best choice, many other's complaining tv's are laggy, disconnect from internet alot, go black for no reason, have bloatware, aren't TRUE smart tv's, blah blah blah. But the probem with the Samsung reviews is the complaints about ads! I certainly don't want ads ruining my netflix, amazon etc experience.

So can anyone recommend? Obviously can't afford OLED. Thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-

Vizio is a nice budget TV.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:55 AM   #3

Feb 2018

Can't get that in UK apparently.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #4

Jun 2008
Park City, Utah

I bought A TCL 5 series 65" 4k TV a few months back for our front living room and love it absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Thanks given by:
FreddyC (03-11-2019), Wingman1977 (03-15-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

TCL and Vizio are two of the best bang for the buck brands for those on a tight TV budget.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2008
Washington D.C.

TCL 6 series. Excellent reviews on CNET and other credible references.
Thanks given by:
FreddyC (03-11-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #7

Jan 2011
Upstate New York

My son recently bought a 65"TCL 6 series. It looks great.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jun 2017
Auburn. WA

I'm in the same boat. We are moving into our new (to us) hone in 5 days. We are doubling square footage, beds and baths so I finally get a dedicated theater space. I also want to have a decent set for the living area. I've given myself around $500-700 and I'm almost set on either the 65 Vizio M or 65 TCL 5. Full array, Dolby vision, smart, etc.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #9

Feb 2019
USS Voyager

Is LG good with 4K UHD? I had LG Full HD, that was pretty nice.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlow77 View Post
But the probem with the Samsung reviews is the complaints about ads! I certainly don't want ads ruining my netflix, amazon etc experience.
I had Samsung UN65NU8000 for about 4 months now and I also was concerned about unwanted ads.

The comments about the ads is the ad on the home menu. Once you get into Netflix or Amazon Prime, it is same Netflix or Amazon Prime you get everywhere.

Only ad I see now is one 'icon' at the bottom left corner, which I deem as an acceptable trade-off. I do not see the ad as a deal breaker as it is NOT intrusive when watching something.

TV disconnecting/laggy from internet . . . I've seen so such thing. I watch UHD content from YT and Netflix and ZERO issues. ZERO. I do have 75mbps (I think) service.

Going to black for no reasons . . . no idea what this is about.

It does have pre-loaded bloatware . . . which you can hide so you don't see them in your home menu.

As far as smart feature goes, I don't have 'smart' electronics so I don't use that feature. I did find connecting PS4, XB, blu ray players a breeze.

I read many reviews before purchasing and the reviews vary WILDLY. It is something that'll stay with you for many years so spend the time to look and compare. TVs are complicated these days so it pays to invest some research time into it so you know exactly what you are buying and what you are buying it for.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geza83 View Post
Is LG good with 4K UHD? I had LG Full HD, that was pretty nice.
In my experience, their edge-lit LEDs are extremely variable and can suffer from awful bleed and clouding. This is particularly bad for 4K HDR material, since the screen lighting has to be higher for this material so it exaggerates the issues. You're alright with bright scenes, but dark ones fall apart.

I used to swear by LG, but the last LED I got from them from awful for this. Bought one, took it back, got a replacement of the same model which was better but not perfect. Lived with it for just over 2 years until I'd had enough and got my OLED.

I think the other manufacturers are just as bad now, they've cheaped out on the edge-lit manufacturing so they are all over the place. Full array LED is significantly better but comes at a price, and it goes without saying OLED doesn't have this issue.

Last edited by oddbox83; 03-04-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geza83 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #12

Jan 2019

TCL 6 series is the only budget TV I'd consider.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Bear in mind that whilst the TCL US R617 is a bit of a bargain if you get a decent panel, our UK ones don't feature Roku or Dolby Vision and they're rarely reviewed, so we have no idea how bright they get.

TCL have said we'll get a new model this year, but there's no firm date.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

Feb 2019
USS Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
In my experience, their edge-lit LEDs are extremely variable and can suffer from awful bleed and clouding. This is particularly bad for 4K HDR material, since the screen lighting has to be higher for this material so it exaggerates the issues. You're alright with bright scenes, but dark ones fall apart.

I used to swear by LG, but the last LED I got from them from awful for this. Bought one, took it back, got a replacement of the same model which was better but not perfect. Lived with it for just over 2 years until I'd had enough and got my OLED.

I think the other manufacturers are just as bad now, they've cheaped out on the edge-lit manufacturing so they are all over the place. Full array LED is significantly better but comes at a price, and it goes without saying OLED doesn't have this issue.
I see, thanks for the infos!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Wakanda

I just got a 55 inch Vizio P Series and love it.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #16

May 2014

I'm actually getting my Vizio m422b1-i serviced because it has been CONSTANTLY freezing when apps are playing (totally....the remote stops working, the power button doesn't work and I need to unplug the TV and re-plug it in) and sometimes the screen is red when it turns on. Since I have the SquareTrade warranty, I spent WEEKS dealing with them for them to finally say "Get a service quote. If the cost is less than the TV, we'll cover the repair. If it's more, we'll cover the cost of a new TV. If they can't/won't repair for age, we'll cover the cost of the TV.". Since it was so hard even finding someone who will service a 42" TV, I expect I'll be shopping for a new 4K in the near future with warranty money.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
Banned

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
I'm actually getting my Vizio m422b1-i serviced because it has been CONSTANTLY freezing when apps are playing (totally....the remote stops working, the power button doesn't work and I need to unplug the TV and re-plug it in) and sometimes the screen is red when it turns on. Since I have the SquareTrade warranty, I spent WEEKS dealing with them for them to finally say "Get a service quote. If the cost is less than the TV, we'll cover the repair. If it's more, we'll cover the cost of a new TV. If they can't/won't repair for age, we'll cover the cost of the TV.". Since it was so hard even finding someone who will service a 42" TV, I expect I'll be shopping for a new 4K in the near future with warranty money.
Seems like you're not the only one who's complaining about Square Trade. I would've done extensive research, before buying a service plan from them. Check out their complaints from the BBB (Better Business Bureau):

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-franci...878/complaints
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #18

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Seems like you're not the only one who's complaining about Square Trade. I would've done extensive research, before buying a service plan from them. Check out their complaints from the BBB (Better Business Bureau):

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-franci...878/complaints
Well, they said (in writing) that if the repair falls below the cost I paid, they'll pay for it. If the quote is higher or cannot be repaired (it's ....gasp....a 4 year old tv!) they'll pay the cost i paid for the TV. So, ....i think worst case is I get my TV back and hope it works now. Worst (?) case is that I get a check from squaretrade for what I paid for the TV and then go out and buy a (non-Vizio) 4K TV.I just wish there was a simple way to see what apps each manufacturer has on their smart TVs. Some have Vudu, some have FandangoNow, none that I know of have MoviesAnywhere...but I could get a Roku TCL TV but I'm not sure I should stray from Sony/Samsung/LG (which is great or trash depending on who you speak to). Plus I want at least a 120 hx refresh rate.....so many choices.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs