Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.40
17 hrs ago
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.16
10 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$13.00

War and Peace (Blu-ray)
$34.22
19 hrs ago
The World's End / Hot Fuzz / Shaun of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$13.18
9 hrs ago
Ghosts of Mars (Blu-ray)
$8.99
6 hrs ago
Black Swan (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Good Time (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Mary Poppins Returns (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 03-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #14181

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
You Disc guys need to pay near full price to keep the Market going. That's why prices aren't dropping. I go to Best Buy and Target, and no one is buying. I know you guys say Amazon, but here again if you don't want to pay full price the Demand goes down and the Disc Market goes down!
I understand preferring one format over another. I understand advocating for you preferred format. I even somewhat understand denigrating an opposing format based on perceived weaknesses.

What I will never understand however is wishing failure on something that many people love with the manic glee of a super villain. Seriously, show us on the doll where the bad discs touched you.

Your continued crowing about the demise of discs and how "everything is digital" has reached the point where I'm not certain if your trolling skills are +1000 or if you are just severely unbalanced. Either way, continually advocating for the death of discs on a website initially established for those who enjoy discs is in really poor taste.

There has to be a better outlet to ramble on about your love of streaming. Surely there are entire sites dedicated to streaming devotees. You know, since someone cared enough to start blu-ray.com to discuss our love of disc, surely someone cares enough to create a website devoted to fans of streaming content, right? I mean, I didn't find anything in a quick Google search, but since "everything is digital" surely there are enough people who just love streaming so much that they would devote a fan site to it. Perhaps you would be more appreciated in that venue.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (03-15-2019), Musashi (03-16-2019), RefractiveIndex (03-16-2019), Wendell R. Breland (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #14182
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
Your continued crowing about the demise of discs and how "everything is digital" has reached the point where I'm not certain if your trolling skills are +1000 or if you are just severely unbalanced.
That poster appears to have a mental problem. Others and myself have posted a lot of data and facts that contradict his post but he never learns from it.

This is the weird one, he hopes disc will go away yet admits he scans this site for UV/MA code deals. Not sure he can figure out if disc disappear so will the code deals. Really strange.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #14183

May 2018
Decatur, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender14 View Post
i understand preferring one format over another. I understand advocating for you preferred format. I even somewhat understand denigrating an opposing format based on perceived weaknesses.

What i will never understand however is wishing failure on something that many people love with the manic glee of a super villain. Seriously, show us on the doll where the bad discs touched you.

Your continued crowing about the demise of discs and how "everything is digital" has reached the point where i'm not certain if your trolling skills are +1000 or if you are just severely unbalanced. Either way, continually advocating for the death of discs on a website initially established for those who enjoy discs is in really poor taste.

There has to be a better outlet to ramble on about your love of streaming. Surely there are entire sites dedicated to streaming devotees. You know, since someone cared enough to start blu-ray.com to discuss our love of disc, surely someone cares enough to create a website devoted to fans of streaming content, right? I mean, i didn't find anything in a quick google search, but since "everything is digital" surely there are enough people who just love streaming so much that they would devote a fan site to it. Perhaps you would be more appreciated in that venue.
^^^This^^^^
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #14184
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
You Disc guys need to pay near full price to keep the Market going. That's why prices aren't dropping. I go to Best Buy and Target, and no one is buying. I know you guys say Amazon, but here again if you don't want to pay full price the Demand goes down and the Disc Market goes down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
Seriously dude?? That's just like saying I need to pay $200 to Comcast for cable instead of $30 to sling if not ESPN will go out of business.
You brought up another interesting point, Streaming is coming on strong and it's affecting different industries. You talked about ESPN, they are coming onto the Streaming Band Wagon. As for Comcast they are losing customers because of Cord Cutting, and a lot of them are going Streaming. ISP's are all scrambling to see what could be done. I say the Competition Model in ISP's is Obsolete, but that's another subject. The Future is Fiber, Networks, and Servers!

Last edited by alchav21; 03-15-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
mrveggieman (03-17-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #14185

Apr 2017

I just checked iTunes and Vudu and the Michael Jackson episode of The Simpsons (episode 301 - Stark Raving Dad) has officially been removed from sale. Does anyone here "own" it on those platforms? Can you still stream it?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-seaso...-3/id532350327
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...eason-3/360274

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 03-15-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #14186
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

The good news coming from HMV UK, being mentioned from some posters on the HMV thread, is that their webstore will have their online merchandise based orders returning on their website very soon. The thing is though we don't know a date for it to return yet. It should return to normal in another couple of weeks. Physical media shines through once again when Doug Putman is at the helm. I don't know how the pro digital only crowd will react to this news.
Thanks given by:
RefractiveIndex (03-16-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #14187
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
The good news coming from HMV UK, being mentioned from some posters on the HMV thread, is that their webstore will have their online merchandise based orders returning on their website very soon. The thing is though we don't know a date for it to return yet. It should return to normal in another couple of weeks. Physical media shines through once again when Doug Putman is at the helm. I don't know how the pro digital only crowd will react to this news.
Thatís great to hear, thanks Dublin. Buy about 5% of my yearly blurays from the online store.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #14188
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
You brought up another interesting point, Streaming is coming on strong and it's affecting different industries. You talked about ESPN, they are coming onto the Streaming Band Wagon. As for Comcast they are losing customers because of Cord Cutting, and a lot of them are going Streaming. ISP's are all scrambling to see what could be done. I say the Competition Model in ISP's is Obsolete, but that's another subject. The Future is Fiber, Networks, and Servers!
Comcast ha e just bought Sky who have a growing online subscription service. They are about to offer a free NBC Universal streaming service to all Sky customers.

By the way, I bet you a 1,000 pounds cable is still here in 10 years.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #14189
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
Your continued crowing about the demise of discs and how "everything is digital" has reached the point where I'm not certain if your trolling skills are +1000 or if you are just severely unbalanced. Either way, continually advocating for the death of discs on a website initially established for those who enjoy discs is in really poor taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
That poster appears to have a mental problem. Others and myself have posted a lot of data and facts that contradict his post but he never learns from it.

This is the weird one, he hopes disc will go away yet admits he scans this site for UV/MA code deals. Not sure he can figure out if disc disappear so will the code deals. Really strange.
I don't know why you guys think I hate Disc, I still have a big Collection of DVD's and Back-up Blu-rays. Ender I have been on this Site longer than you have, I have loved Movies for a long time so don't kill the Messenger. Like I said I go back to the DOS days, and if you break things down it's very simple. It's all about Files and Folders, and I know Wendell likes to make everything very complicated but it's not. Bit Streaming is Bit Streaming, you put those same Files from a Disc on a Server and you will get the same results. I know there are differences now, but the basics are the same.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #14190
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Bit Streaming is Bit Streaming, you put those same Files from a Disc on a Server and you will get the same results.
Name one CDN that would be willing to expand their storage 8 to 10 times in order to accommodate disc file sizes. Then think of the huge cost of infrastructure in order to deliver disc data rates. Not going to happen.

Click here and tell me what the really obvious points are. Even my small ISP uses HFC and manages to deliver Netflix UHD most of the time during prime time. The name of the game in streaming is smaller file sizes, not larger.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #14191

Feb 2019

Quote:
Name one CDN that would be willing to expand their storage 8 to 10 times in order to accommodate disc file sizes. Then think of the huge cost of infrastructure in order to deliver disc data rates. Not going to happen.

Click here and tell me what the really obvious points are. Even my small ISP uses HFC and manages to deliver Netflix UHD most of the time during prime time. The name of the game in streaming is smaller file sizes, not larger.
Yes, one of the issues with bandwidth getting bigger is the content seems to get bigger faster. LOL
Old 03-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #14192
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:

Even my small ISP uses HFC and manages to deliver Netflix UHD most of the time during prime time. The name of the game in streaming is smaller file sizes, not larger.
My point is that it could be done, you can drop a Content Server anywhere even in an ISP Network. Talk about Netflix, they are showing Movies a week after release to Theaters. I watched Triple Frontier the other night in UHD with no problems.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #14193

Apr 2017

Quote:
My point is that it could be done, you can drop a Content Server anywhere even in an ISP Network. Talk about Netflix, they are showing Movies a week after release to Theaters. I watched Triple Frontier the other night in UHD with no problems.
But why should anyone of the distributors spend more money on drastically increasing their bandwidth when their customers (including you) are happy with the bitrates they are providing now? Netflix currently spends hundreds of millions of dollars each year on bandwidth for the bitrates they currently offer, they have no incentive to increase that spending.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #14194
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightMovie901 View Post
Business executives don't sit in meetings and discuss what products some one-off guy will buy. They are interesting in what 80% or more of the people will buy and design and market to that audience accordingly.

They don't have a gazillion McDonald's because most people don't eat there. They have that many because most people DO eat there. Of course their are niche markets and they have businesses that cater to them (Lamborghini for example) but they don't dictate the standards.

The above argument is just WAY off base in my opinion.
lol your point is so ridiculous. You start with business executives are only interested in what 80% or more of the people will buy and then you add Of course their are niche markets and they have businesses that cater to them (Lamborghini for example) but they don't dictate the standards.

Don't these companies that deal with niche markets have business executives running them? and why should any consumer care who"dictate the standards" if they can buy what they want?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #14195
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
My point is that it could be done
There are many, many things possible but good portion of them is not piratical. Large amounts of data storage via holographics can be done but it is not piratical and cost effective for most users. Engines that run on hydrogen are in limited use and they do not pollute, water is the byproduct, but once again they are not piratical because of the process of obtaining hydrogen.

You are confusing a CDN with Netflix cache computers. A CDN will probably look like this:

[Show spoiler]

Netflix cache computers are very limited in space and only work for content that happens to be in the cache. If it is not on the cache then it has to come from the CDN.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #14196
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
What I'm saying is that even though you may retain the ability to watch your movies on an older format new movies may never be available on that format.
True, you can't get the latest movie on Laserdisc, beta or VHS. But why does it matter? The reason you can't is because everyone moved on to something "better". What you are missing is "better" is up to each individual and it is only when every individual finds something "better" that new content stops coming out on that format.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #14197
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Yes, I just bought all the Marvel movies and almost all of them are on HD in iTunes even though they have 4K options on Vudu. Vudu is charging $5 more for the UHD version whereas Apple wants to keep the price the same.

Yeah, companies getting along with other companies is always an issue and it generally always sucks for the consumer.
not if you buy on physical media
Old 03-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #14198
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
For me, itís no hassle at all sitting through a couple of trailers. By the time I get myself comfy, the film is ready to start. All good things.......

same here. If it is a new film I might even pause them (so that I can watch the trailers), for a rewatch by the time everything is ready (popcorn/drinks..) and I am sitting on on my chair comfortably they are usualy done.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #14199
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
same here. If it is a new film I might even pause them (so that I can watch the trailers), for a rewatch by the time everything is ready (popcorn/drinks..) and I am sitting on on my chair comfortably they are usualy done.
Yep, exactly.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #14200
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
It's all about Files and Folders, and I know Wendell likes to make everything very complicated but it's not. Bit Streaming is Bit Streaming, you put those same Files from a Disc on a Server and you will get the same results. I know there are differences now, but the basics are the same.

not really

1)
the internet, web and networks were created with the idea that you have very little information (where order does not matter) going a very short distance.

if you have a window PC start command prompt and write ping http://www.blu-ray.com (or any other site you want that allows pinging)

you will get back several responses with probably different times.

if you are reading a site like this or receiving an e-mail all the info is split up into many different pieces all, some will take a different path, some will get there a bit faster or slower and some might be lost and asked to be resent. But once all the pieces (aka the last/slowest piece) get there you can see it all, so it does not matter if you get the last bits first and the first bits last.

Now if we are talking a simple high speed ethernet cable then you are right but even adding a router and having your home movie server stream to a TV there will be degradation in the final quality because some bits might not make it in time and when you go through an internet connection it gets even worst.

2) even with a simple direct ethernet connection things are still not 100% the same, a disk has bits that are sent directly to the player, the ethernet cable sends IP packets to the display, those IP packets have overhead so streaming from a local server will always need more BW then reading off of a disk.

3) Let's forget all that and assume I can make a pixel to pixel comparison of my projector and all is 100% equal the two still won't be truly the same. One system has a micro reality while the other a macro one. What I mean is if I am watching a UHD BD in my HT nothing else matters, it does not mater if someone else is watching a different UHD BD in the family room. But if I am streaming in my HT and someone else is streaming in the family room it will affect BW and latency for my viewing. And if my GF is watching an HD 3d film in the bed room there two if all are BD it does not matter but if all are streaming I need a network that can support all 3, what if the kids are watching BDs (streaming) in their bedrooms, what if my Dad in in his "apartment"...?

4) let's assume we have net 2.0, latency is magically none existent BW is enough to DL the whole movie in a picosecond... there will still be one HUGE difference, you can' never own a digital copy, no matter how much you paid for it, since the film can be taken away from you for any reason, but you can own a physical copy.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology