Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Song Of Memories (PS4)
$39.99
19 hrs ago
The Lego Movie 2 Videogame (PS4)
$27.99
 
Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far (PS4)
$36.09
 
Jump Force (PS4)
$49.99
 
LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$29.99
 
Anthem (PS4)
$49.55
 
Kingdom Hearts III (PS4)
$47.90
11 hrs ago
Metro Exodus (PS4)
$49.80
 
Metal Max Xeno (PS4)
$16.48
4 hrs ago
Just Dance 2019 (PS4)
$19.99
 
Monster Hunter: World (PS4)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
$44.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #81
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
3255
7
2
51
Default

Was checking out some prices on this game.

Canadian prices on PS4 & Xbox One.

Base game
$59.99 Xbox
$79.99 PS4
Digital Deluxe
$79.99 Xbox
$106.49 PS4

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #82
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is offline
Contributor
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
327
731
19
Default

Full Review from me

Just completed the Story Mode and I have to say WTF? I will give it a 3.5 out of 10. Though the main best part is the girls as always. Thought it was going to get better but feel like they were more interested in plot twists rather than making a complete story. Like first having Honoka being beat up by almost everyone she fought (definitely terrible)to awakening Raidou but not waking up(she better be ok).

Story events have a weird branching system that makes the story all over the place instead of just playing the Story from 1 scene to the next which can make it confusing at first but some scenes just like end with no explanation and just moving on without finishing out the scene you were working on. Plus you can play a scene from like Chapter 3 and then you could unlock a scene from a character who has an event in Chapter 1. The Tournament part barely shows any of the battles.

Online Mode is bad. Like really bad. Hardly any winning a fight dialogue with no losing the match dialogue. Clothes destruction is too tone down. Feel like the breasts could jiggle a little more but is at least at an acceptable level. DOA Quest Mode is meh and purchasing outfits through the games currency system is a bit of a drag. So like Arcade, Survival, Versus and Time Attack are the best modes for the game until the Online improves. Though 1 thing that may never be fixed is that the Online only shows the Connection of your opponent and many people are picky about who they will fight against. No Team Battles I know many people seem to like that about DOA5. The Break Blow system of fighting feels like it was made to spam it.

Overall either a 5.5 or 6 out of 10 score because I thought it would be great and started out great, but the more I played the more bored I got. Just so lacking in content. You could probably beat Story Mode in 30-40 minutes maybe even less.

Give me DOA Xtreme with another DOA game like 5 any day over this.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bolo Seagull (03-15-2019), Derb (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #83
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
3255
7
2
51
Default

^

Thatís a shame.

Thanks for the review.

Did they do away with Spectator mode? In DOA 5 you could choose 2 fighters & the stage they fight in.

There are 7 season passes & 1,117 pieces of DLC for DOA 5. I was browsing to see how many I had gotten. Costume LV25 unlock was the last for me & then I quit buying. I see the most recent goes up to LV50. So there probably is around another $1K worth I donít own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #84
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is offline
Contributor
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
327
731
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
^

Thatís a shame.

Thanks for the review.

Did they do away with Spectator mode? In DOA 5 you could choose 2 fighters & the stage they fight in.

There are 7 season passes & 1,117 pieces of DLC for DOA 5. I was browsing to see how many I had gotten. Costume LV25 unlock was the last for me & then I quit buying. I see the most recent goes up to LV50. So there probably is around another $1K worth I donít own.
Spectator Mode is still there.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Derb (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #85
ramzy1 ramzy1 is online now
Senior Member
 
ramzy1's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Minnesota
21
119
19
15
Default

I got all achievements in about 16 hrs. If you are very skilled, you could pull it off in 10-12 hrs. There is a free to play version coming too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #86
heyadol heyadol is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
75
3
33
68
1051
10
Default

I played tonight and unlocked 2 costume parts after completing arcade mode...that’s a ridiculous grind to get the other 498 parts! It still had the banner up top saying it’s multiplied by 100 so I hope it’s a glitch, but if it really ends up being single digits and all they fix is random application of points, It’s absolutely not worth it, especially since most of them are just pallet swaps.
Perhaps the old way (earning a costume every time you complete arcade/survival/time attack) was too easy but I can’t imagine completing arcade mode 500 times just to unlock one costume for Nyotengu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #87
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is offline
Contributor
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
327
731
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
I played tonight and unlocked 2 costume parts after completing arcade mode...thatís a ridiculous grind to get the other 498 parts! It still had the banner up top saying itís multiplied by 100 so I hope itís a glitch, but if it really ends up being single digits and all they fix is random application of points, Itís absolutely not worth it, especially since most of them are just pallet swaps.
Perhaps the old way (earning a costume every time you complete arcade/survival/time attack) was too easy but I canít imagine completing arcade mode 500 times just to unlock one costume for Nyotengu.
Multiplied up to 100 times actually. So anything from 1 to 100. But like I mentioned play online and you get it faster. I even had times where I only needed 100 points for a costume but gave me like 250 points. Right now on 1 of my characters, I am 1 point away for a costume because the amounts are so random that it ended up that way.

But until the next patch, you get costume parts for random characters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #88
heyadol heyadol is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
75
3
33
68
1051
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Multiplied up to 100 times actually. So anything from 1 to 100. But like I mentioned play online and you get it faster. I even had times where I only needed 100 points for a costume but gave me like 250 points. Right now on 1 of my characters, I am 1 point away for a costume because the amounts are so random that it ended up that way.

But until the next patch, you get costume parts for random characters.
I just thought it was weird because all previous offline games gave me at least 100 points. I do get more points online but there donít seem to be many players (they should enable crossplay!). I actually got repeated messages that my opponent disconnected when I played online last, and I was losing every battle so itís not like theyíre rage quitting, so getting points online is not guaranteed for me.

Iíd rather they just give you the points and let you apply them how you want, the same as the player points you have to use to buy the unlocked costumes. Anyway, I suppose they'll do more point-multiplier events when new DLC is released.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #89
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is offline
Contributor
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
327
731
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
I just thought it was weird because all previous offline games gave me at least 100 points. I do get more points online but there donít seem to be many players (they should enable crossplay!). I actually got repeated messages that my opponent disconnected when I played online last, and I was losing every battle so itís not like theyíre rage quitting, so getting points online is not guaranteed for me.

Iíd rather they just give you the points and let you apply them how you want, the same as the player points you have to use to buy the unlocked costumes. Anyway, I suppose they'll do more point-multiplier events when new DLC is released.
Yeah the Online seems not very active. Like I possibly could get better luck getting someone on the DOA5 vanilla version over this. Itís like jeez itís a brand new game and the online is mostly dead already. Though people tend to be picky as to who they will fight against and this game is not for those picky people since you canít see the PSN ID or even just that personís main character.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 AM   #90
Richie-Kun Richie-Kun is offline
Expert Member
 
Richie-Kun's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Portland, Oregon
60
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
I played tonight and unlocked 2 costume parts after completing arcade mode...
I think it was because you were offline during that play session. You might need to be online to have access to the x100 multiplier (or so I read). Personally, I have just been doing Arcade mode on Champ difficulty (which isn't all that hard) and get about 500 to 600 points. You do get points at a faster rate if you play online matches though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #91
heyadol heyadol is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
75
3
33
68
1051
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Kun View Post
I think it was because you were offline during that play session. You might need to be online to have access to the x100 multiplier (or so I read). Personally, I have just been doing Arcade mode on Champ difficulty (which isn't all that hard) and get about 500 to 600 points. You do get points at a faster rate if you play online matches though.
Just tried arcade on champ, unlocked 573 parts for a 100 part costume but at least the bonus is working.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 AM   #92
Richie-Kun Richie-Kun is offline
Expert Member
 
Richie-Kun's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Portland, Oregon
60
25
Default

New update is out! Now it should be easier to unlock the costumes that you want and with the x100 multiplier being extended, I highly recommend you grind for them now. If you have any costume pattern points leftover, then it will transfer to another costume allowing you to be able to unlock multiple costumes at once! The update also adds in DoA5 intro/victory animations as well too.

[Show spoiler]



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:03 AM   #93
heyadol heyadol is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
75
3
33
68
1051
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Kun View Post
New update is out! Now it should be easier to unlock the costumes that you want and with the x100 multiplier being extended, I highly recommend you grind for them now. If you have any costume pattern points leftover, then it will transfer to another costume allowing you to be able to unlock multiple costumes at once! The update also adds in DoA5 intro/victory animations as well too.
Definitely an improvement, although I havenít seen any new (or old) intro/victory poses. Also, rotating your character on the wardrobe screen seems to be new...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #94
Richie-Kun Richie-Kun is offline
Expert Member
 
Richie-Kun's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
Portland, Oregon
60
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
Definitely an improvement, although I havenít seen any new (or old) intro/victory poses.
Only certain characters have them so far. For example, Marie now has her "Let the red rose of blood bloom forth" intro and "Yay! I beat you" victory poses from DoA5. Kasumi, Hitomi and Bass are said to have new (old) intro/victory poses as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #95
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is offline
Contributor
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
327
731
19
Default

Dead Or Alive 6 Core Fighters is out now for those who want to play the game for free before buying but the selection feels kind of off for calling it Core Fighters. DOA5 had just the Ninja characters. But now itís Kasumi, Hitomi, Diego and Bass being considered as Core Fighters. I think Kasumi is the only real Core Fighter out of those(Bass is a maybe), but Hitomi though is a nice touch and I very much welcome it. Diego is the newest character so definitely not a Core Fighter(besides a little something to the Story Mode that would be a Spoiler).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #96
Derb Derb is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
Derb's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
11
3255
7
2
51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Dead Or Alive 6 Core Fighters is out now for those who want to play the game for free before buying but the selection feels kind of off for calling it Core Fighters. DOA5 had just the Ninja characters. But now itís Kasumi, Hitomi, Diego and Bass being considered as Core Fighters. I think Kasumi is the only real Core Fighter out of those(Bass is a maybe), but Hitomi though is a nice touch and I very much welcome it. Diego is the newest character so definitely not a Core Fighter(besides a little something to the Story Mode that would be a Spoiler).
Games I want but canít afford all,

Resident Evil 2 - Remake (Jan 25)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Jan 29)
Far Cry - New Dawn (Feb 15)
Anthem (Feb 22)
Dead or Alive 6 (March 1)
Devil May Cry 5 (March 15)

Itís $20 cheaper on Xbox One. I dunno how grinding the skins are if you only play offline.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #97
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is offline
Contributor
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
327
731
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Games I want but canít afford all,

Resident Evil 2 - Remake (Jan 25)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Jan 29)
Far Cry - New Dawn (Feb 15)
Anthem (Feb 22)
Dead or Alive 6 (March 1)
Devil May Cry 5 (March 15)

Itís $20 cheaper on Xbox One. I dunno how grinding the skins are if you only play offline.
DMC5 was last week but anyways now with the latest patch you do get costume parts for the character youíre playing as so it isnít as much of a grind for that particular character anymore. But if you want all costume parts, itís definitely a grind. But itís way easier to just play online and get costume parts since you donít even have to win. Just complete the match and get your costume parts. Of course you will still get random costume parts, so like say you almost have all the parts you need for 1 costume but it starts giving you parts for other costumes for that character instead.

Playing Offline, you get it through DOA Quest Mode and everytime you beat and Difficulty Setting on Survival, Arcade and Time Attack. So could in theory stick with the Easiest setting to make it a little faster however you still get a random amount of costume parts that can make the grind not so bad or really bad depending on the amount you get. DOA Quest Mode has specific characters for you to play as so in a way itís a disadvantage for having the latest patch there if there are characters you donít care about getting the costumes for.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Derb (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #98
Bolo Seagull Bolo Seagull is offline
Senior Member
 
Bolo Seagull's Avatar
 
May 2016
5
498
210
Default

I agree with Moonphase's review. The story mode is terrible, not just because of the story itself, but even more because of the convoluted presentation. They really overthought it. There's this huge chart, and you navigate between different characters' perspectives to find out what they were doing at different points in the main plot. They really should just have one linear path for the plot.

The roster is decent and the characters generally look nice. The stages have some fun gimmicks to trigger. The stages aren't as scenic as I would like, you're frequently not getting much of a view behind the fighters.

The game's strong point is its extensive training options. I've definitely improved a lot from this system teaching me exact timing and manoeuvres. It's probably the best training system I've seen in a fighting game, and I like how it's integrated into the challenge mode so you can learn the skill that the challenge is requiring.

I found the costume unlock system convoluted as well, involving multiple in-game currencies, one of which is seemingly randomly applied. It was just better when you unlocked costumes for a character by achieving things with that character. From the sounds of it, the patch makes it a little better. So I'll play it some more this weekend and see.

I'm glad to hear they're adding some more victory poses and hopefully that also means some more intro dialogue, because the little variety that's there gets repetitive and annoying fast.

All and all, the game was stronger than I expected in some surprising ways, but also weaker in areas where it normally excels. I'm having some fun with it, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #99
heyadol heyadol is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
75
3
33
68
1051
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Kun View Post
I think it was because you were offline during that play session. You might need to be online to have access to the x100 multiplier (or so I read). Personally, I have just been doing Arcade mode on Champ difficulty (which isn't all that hard) and get about 500 to 600 points. You do get points at a faster rate if you play online matches though.
You must be correct about the need to be online, it happened again today. I was getting my hat handed to me in arcade-true fighter when XBL (don't hate, there's no Xbox forum for this game) went down mid fight so I ended up w/ 10/1000 costume parts. Very frustrating

Even worse, when it disconnected the guide popped up telling me I was offline but the game kept going in the background!

Ok, that's out of my system. If it happens again I won't vent here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #100
heyadol heyadol is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
75
3
33
68
1051
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo Seagull View Post
I agree with Moonphase's review. The story mode is terrible, not just because of the story itself, but even more because of the convoluted presentation. They really overthought it. There's this huge chart, and you navigate between different characters' perspectives to find out what they were doing at different points in the main plot. They really should just have one linear path for the plot.
I don't disagree with either of you, but I feel like Team Ninja couldn't win on this. If they forced your path someone here would be critical because the story is convoluted (oops, I mean "nonlinear") and the user should have the option to do it their way.

Quote:
The roster is decent and the characters generally look nice. The stages have some fun gimmicks to trigger. The stages aren't as scenic as I would like, you're frequently not getting much of a view behind the fighters.
I think it's weird that two DOA characters who were on the roster in the last game are day-one DLC, but I understand guest characters being paid DLC even if they were in previous games. I'd be interested in getting stages from older games, they have that museum level (Unforgettable) with parts of two older stages so I'm betting they will have some way to unlock other parts of the museum.

Quote:
The game's strong point is its extensive training options. I've definitely improved a lot from this system teaching me exact timing and manoeuvres. It's probably the best training system I've seen in a fighting game, and I like how it's integrated into the challenge mode so you can learn the skill that the challenge is requiring.
This.

As much as I want to say this whole game could have been paid DLC for DOA5LR, I'm having a lot of fun training. It's better than ever.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Tags
dead or alive, koei tecmo, ps4, team ninja

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 AM.