Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.97
7 hrs ago
The Little Mermaid 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.88
1 hr ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.08

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Hellboy Animated 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Hell Fest 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.66

The Birth of a Nation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hellboy II: The Golden Army 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Wild 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #281

Jul 2009
Canada

We have subtitles. When you have subtitles you don’t need CC. In EU, CC is an optional feature; in NA, CC (subtitle) is mandated since (approx) 20+ years ago as part of the Disabilities Act.

NA receive quick start because you know patient we are. We are also not really into taking responsibility for our own fault, thus auto shut off becomes a feature.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #282
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiendut View Post
Again, if youíre making dinner, you should really stop the disc from spinning. The main reason Panasonic is doing this is so people donít press pause, and accidentally left it spinning overnight and wear out the motor. Because we all know that of the motor wears out we will blame Panasonic too right?
If you pause the 9000 does a screen saving feature comes automatically after few minutes, like Oppo? I think Oppo uses the screen saving feature after only a minute. I never timed them, but I know it's pretty quick...good thing too, best.

* The Sony 800 remains in pause; bad for OLED displays.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #283
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
We have subtitles. When you have subtitles you don’t need CC. In EU, CC is an optional feature; in NA, CC (subtitle) is mandated since (approx) 20+ years ago as part of the Disabilities Act.

NA receive quick start because you know patient we are. We are also not really into taking responsibility for our own fault, thus auto shut off becomes a feature.
You are a North American (Canadian citizen), so you have Closed Caption Settings, Quick Start Settings, and nobody has Gracenote Settings anymore with the latest 338 firmware.

MEB must be from another continent, a better one because he has Auto Standby.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #284

Jul 2009
Canada

Screen Saver only kicks in after 5 minutes from home menu or if you’re playing audio only. Pause does not kick in the screen saver. Another reason they shut it off as they are a major OLED seller.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #285

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
You are a North American (Canadian citizen), so you have Closed Caption Settings, Quick Start Settings, and nobody has Gracenote Settings anymore with the latest 338 firmware.

MEB must be from another continent, a better one because he has Auto Standby.
Yup. We north Americans canít wait for an extra 5 seconds, thatís why we need quick start. I donít use it because Iím also a Chinese Dutch. I do everything to penny pinch as quickstart consumes more electricity.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (03-15-2019), Robert Zohn (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #286
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I too don't use the Quickstart, because I'm French and Irish.

* The 9000 does it have a Quickstart function?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #287
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

New Yorkers use and like Quick Start, we're adapted to our environment.
Thanks given by:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #288
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
The people from North America don't have that feature, instead they have the Quick Start Mode feature.
And by the way, with the latest firmware update (Sony X800) the Gracenote Settings feature is gone.

And you don't have Closed Caption Settings, but we do.
So the features are slightly different depending of the country.

* I use my 205 more often so I don't have that issue.
With the X800 used occasionally, it shuts down automatically when on standby after roughly fifteen/twenty minutes or so; I've never chronometered it.
Only once I panicked in life; the first day I came up.
Am I glad I own the EU models for my Sony players.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (03-15-2019), Robert Zohn (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 AM   #289
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:

Disabilities Act; do you have a spare copy hanging around?

* The Quick Start feature can create more problems than it can solve.
The Vikings never used that tool, and over the years won more battles without it, by using big swing hammers and swords made of chrome steel.

** It sometimes wrecks havoc with the Internet connection and the apps.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 AM   #290

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Disabilities Act; do you have a spare copy hanging around?

* The Quick Start feature can create more problems than it can solve.
The Vikings never used that tool, and over the years won more battles without it, by using big swing hammers and swords made of chrome steel.

** It sometimes wrecks havoc with the Internet connection and the apps.
RE disabilities act regarding CC/subtitles. In the mid 90s it started with TVs 20Ē or larger should have CC decoder and all video materials to have CC. The it follows ith ALL tvs should have CC decoder.
Thanks given by:
Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 AM   #291
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
I do everything to penny pinch as quickstart consumes more electricity.
Thank you for being "green" and reducing your carbon footprint so I can use your carbon to allow my UB9000 to spin aimlessly for hours (as soon as Panasonic fixes the auto shut-off).

Mark
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (03-15-2019), sapiendut (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #292

Jul 2009
Canada

Bahahahah!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
gkolb (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #293
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

For those interested in the alliance between JVC and Panasonic to develop special custom modes for JVC's NX5, NX7 and the NX9 when connected to Panasonic's UB9000 here's JVC's press release.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2019/consu...panasonic.html
Old 03-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #294

Jul 2009
Canada

The questions that remains unanswered are:

1. Which colour profiles on the JVC
2. How to set the player and the projector to make this happen?

I’ve had that pdf since 2 weeks ago. When you mentioned you’ll disclose something I thought it will answer those two questions

Last edited by sapiendut; 03-15-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #295
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Expanding the HDR color gamut is just one of the new features of the two new Custom Modes 5 and 6 that is now available for upgrading all JVC NX5, NX7 and NX9 projectors. From what I was told it's the BT2020 and or P3 color gamuts that are encoded on the 4K HDR and now they can near perfectly map the color gamut at every luminance level and display 100% of the P3 gamut.

this is just one of the new studio mastered image reconstruction advancements that we are now able to openly discuss on the collaboration between these two great companies.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #296

Jul 2009
Canada

Robert, still unclear here. That press release is also IMO pointless.

So customers have to update their projector’s firmware update first? Which preset does what? What settings need to be setup on the ub9000? Will the switching be done automatically?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #297
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

So it's basically yet another HDR remapping mode that preserves the P3 gamut at all brightness levels, specifically for this projector range.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #298
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Robert, still unclear here. That press release is also IMO pointless.

So customers have to update their projector’s firmware update first? Which preset does what? What settings need to be setup on the ub9000? Will the switching be done automatically?
Here's the scoop.

1st, yes, you will need to download the new firmware version 2.10 from JVC's site and save it to a USB stick. Here's the link to JVC's projector update firmware.

Here's how the two Custom Profile Modes will work:

In Panasonic's UB9000 HDR Optimizer menu when you select "High Luminance Projector" the player will tone map all streamed and disc content perfectly following the PQ EOTF at every luminance level throughout the HDR dynamic tonal range. So 1,000Nit, 4,000Nit and even 10,000Nit content will be perfectly tone mapped to 500Nits.

The same happens when you set your UB9000 HDR Optimizer to "Basic Luminance Projector" and the player outputs 350Nit peak luminance.

Now here's where you can choose the best picture element(s) you want for your room's environment, your personal preference or even a particular preference for one title or type of film, like action and adventure films or restored classic B&W or color films. So here's what you can expect to see in your JVC projector fed by Panasonic's UB9000:

When you select High Luminance Projector, 500Nit max you will see improvement in the overall image brightness. Well matched for rooms that have some ambient light and for video content viewing, and also Hollywood movies with a lot of high contrast scenes.

The Basic Luminance Projector 350Nit max prioritizes every element of color reproducibility. You will see all of the color detail that's in the wide color gamut unique to HDR.

Happy to see us get into some of the details behind this very cool and exciting*collaboration between two premium companies’ engineers to bring us closer to how the creator finished the master HDR image.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #299

Jul 2009
Canada

Thanks Robert, JVC finally sent me the info too.

The final mystery is whether we have to switch modes manually or it will switch automatically after the initial set up
Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #300

Jul 2009
Canada

This will also be annoying because the projector perhaps will automatically switch to HDR and then the user needs to go to the menu and change the colour profile to one of those two profiles.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
panasonic, ub9000, uhd