Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.49

Jurassic Park Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£32.79

Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray)
£11.59

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
£16.99

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 4K (Blu-ray)
£14.59

Predator Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.19

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.79

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
£18.00

Black Panther (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Nikita: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£14.00

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
£8.49

Peaky Blinders: The Complete Series 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
£23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #61
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient-X View Post
Totally agree with that. £10 for over 3 1/2 hours is great. If they do another deluxe part 4 with a bonus disc even better.
I was as annoyed as the next man that the Randall and Hopkirk Revisited documentary was not on the Bluray but only because it means having to keep the dvd's.
The episodes are the main attraction and with a colourful show like Joe 90 you really miss out sticking with dvd.

As the Network documentaries were mainly made by independent companies I do wonder if the rights expired and they would need to pay again to use them.
There would be nothing wrong with adding a dvd of bonus features to any of the Bluray sets. They already did it with Space 1999 and The Prisoner
Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
Ordered today (9/29) along w/:

[Show spoiler]
Pre-ordered today (10/5)

Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (10-06-2018), Eusthenopteron (10-05-2018), Si Parallel Universe (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #63
Banned

Aug 2018

December 10th is a bit of wait so will preorder closer to the release as Network take funds immediately
Old 10-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #64

Nov 2010
Thirsk, Yorkshire

Added Volume 2 & 3 details to database.
Thanks given by:
hagios (10-05-2018), Patient-X (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #65
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
In the dark, near the Tannhšuser Gate

After seeing the artwork for the next two volumes I'm actually quite liking the style. The first one doesn't seem as naff now.
Thanks given by:
Eusthenopteron (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #66
Banned

Aug 2018

It looks like they heard people saying that covers made from the images of the end titles were great without realising why the Scarlet end titles were so good
Old 10-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #67

Nov 2010
Thirsk, Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient-X View Post
After seeing the artwork for the next two volumes I'm actually quite liking the style. The first one doesn't seem as naff now.
Yeah 2 and 3 are much better. The problem with one for me is the composition more than anything, the ID booklet in particular looks odd pushed to one side.
Thanks given by:
Patient-X (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #68

Jun 2011
UK

If these 3 volumes contain all of the episodes should we assume there'll be no special edition/bonus disc version released for this series.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #69

Aug 2012
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by openviews View Post
If these 3 volumes contain all of the episodes should we assume there'll be no special edition/bonus disc version released for this series.
According to the Fanderson site, there were 30 episodes, so there are still 6 remaining to be released...

Test Flight
Child of the Sun God
Trial at Sea
See You Down There
The Birthday
Viva Cordova

Each release so far has had 8 episodes on, so allowing for the final 6, that should leave some space for a few extras, and we would have a full set, plus extras, and hopefully a Special Edition box with release #4, a la Captain Scarlet...
Thanks given by:
hagios (10-06-2018), openviews (10-05-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 02:17 AM   #70
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Jesus. Those last two volumes were released quite fast. It's a good thing that I went on this thread to buy them from Network's site.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #71
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
Jesus. Those last two volumes were released quite fast. It's a good thing that I went on this thread to buy them from Network's site.
Not really that fast.
Network head Tim Beddows said some weeks back that there would be 2 or possibly 3 volumes by Xmas but the lack of Volume 1 pre buy resulting from the delay waiting for the actual 50th Anniversary to announce it makes them seem closer than they normally would.

It will be interesting to see if included bonus features are on disc 4 which will certainly have enough space but if they don't make Volume 4 a 2 disc set that would suggest the standard release will also include the bonuses making less incentive than Scarlet to buy an outsize box edition
Old 10-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #72
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Fair enough jimdigriz.

My copy of Joe 90 Vol.1 came in the post this afternoon.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #73
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
Fair enough jimdigriz.

My copy of Joe 90 Vol.1 came in the post this afternoon.
It looks sensational. Even if you're familiar with the series these new restorations allow you to see close up the superb detail that went into the sets and costumes for the first time and at a level of quality the producers can't ever have imagined we would see
Old 10-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #74

Jan 2012

Quote:
these new restorations allow you to see close up the superb detail that went into the sets and costumes for the first time
Although the pictures are really sharp I find the variation in quality between scenes quite distracting. These Anderson shows have a lot of reused material (the long shot of Cloudbase, the Angels taking off, the Big Rat starting up and in motion etc) and in Joe 90 the quality of those sections are noticeably different to the material specific to one episode. Perhaps the blu-ray makes this more noticeable but it seems worse in Joe 90 than Captain Scarlet or Thunderbirds.

Watching the shows now as an adult, Captain Scarlet is still enjoyable - the professional team working at Spectrum, the threat of suicide bombers and attacks on high profile targets. Joe 90 has too many annoying scenes that might pass with a 10 year old but kidnappers of electronic experts who will happily crash airlines with full passengers and crew just to get one person (surely much easier and less risky to kidnap them on the street)? Sam and Mr McLaine suddenly arguing like children in Operation McClaine and then the operation done at gunpoint with the theatre staff then cooperating? It is just not believable.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #75
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by riku2 View Post
Although the pictures are really sharp I find the variation in quality between scenes quite distracting. These Anderson shows have a lot of reused material (the long shot of Cloudbase, the Angels taking off, the Big Rat starting up and in motion etc) and in Joe 90 the quality of those sections are noticeably different to the material specific to one episode. Perhaps the blu-ray makes this more noticeable but it seems worse in Joe 90 than Captain Scarlet or Thunderbirds.

Watching the shows now as an adult, Captain Scarlet is still enjoyable - the professional team working at Spectrum, the threat of suicide bombers and attacks on high profile targets. Joe 90 has too many annoying scenes that might pass with a 10 year old but kidnappers of electronic experts who will happily crash airlines with full passengers and crew just to get one person (surely much easier and less risky to kidnap them on the street)? Sam and Mr McLaine suddenly arguing like children in Operation McClaine and then the operation done at gunpoint with the theatre staff then cooperating? It is just not believable.
Wasnít that the start of Mission Impossible 2
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #76

Nov 2010
Thirsk, Yorkshire

Quote:

Not sure any of the Anderson shows are believable if you critique them too much. But they are a hell of a lot of fun.
Thanks given by:
drterror666 (10-13-2018), dublinbluray108 (10-13-2018), Patient-X (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #77
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
As you say, all the Anderson shows have stock shots that get reused in many episodes so these end up being one generation down from the original.
If you look at the info on the inside back cover of Joe 90 ( and other ITC releases) Network acknowledge that the clarity of Bluray will show up the imperfections of stock shots, back projection and other short cuts made at the time.

Short of clipping the relevant moment from its appearance for the very first time and inserting it into each subsequent appearance there is nothing that Network can do.
There's often a similar drop in quality when there's titles or credits over a scene or when there's a fade coming or when we return from a fade.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #78
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
EDIT:

Ordered today (9/29) along w/:

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]Pre-ordered today (10/5)

Rec'd Joe 90 Vol. 1 & Hands of the Ripper (1971) today (10/15)!
Thanks given by:
minister_x (10-15-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #79

Oct 2015

Volume One arrived today. Looks good.
I really hope after Joe 90 they will move backwards through Stingray and Fireball etc.
I'm buying Joe 90 as much to encourage them to keep releasing material as I am to actually watch it.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #80
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenklune View Post
Volume One arrived today. Looks good.
I really hope after Joe 90 they will move backwards through Stingray and Fireball etc.
I'm buying Joe 90 as much to encourage them to keep releasing material as I am to actually watch it.
Itís Stingrays 55th Anniversary next year so Iím certain that will be next on their list.
Thanks given by:
bradenklune (10-25-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland