Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
7 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission (Blu-ray)
$19.96
3 hrs ago
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Evil Dead Groovy Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.48
15 hrs ago
Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.64
21 hrs ago
Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$12.16
10 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The Last Waltz 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
23 hrs ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95
1 day ago
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49

The Flight of the Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$20.45
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA
Default What happens if your remote breaks?

My Sony player is about three years old and it works fine, but the remote stopped working recently.

I donít even think Best Buy carries that model anymore.

What can I do to get a remote control replacement?

Am I screwed?
Old 03-10-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-
-

You can buy generic remotes on eBay. There are many marketed specifically for Sony BD players. You just need to know the model number of your player. And in some cases, your players specific code. If you can determine the code, there are multi-device remotes that may work as well. Here is a list of known Sony BD player codes.

http://codesforuniversalremotes.com/...control-codes/
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

You can order a replacement remote direct from the manufacturer, or get a used one on ebay. You have a couple of options to choose from, but a missing or a defective remote control can be very easy to replaced.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-12-2022)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006

You can also get a Harmony 650 remote which can easily download the codes for your blu-ray player and all your other equipment into itself.
Thanks given by:
octagon (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
My Sony player is about three years old and it works fine, but the remote stopped working recently.

I donít even think Best Buy carries that model anymore.

What can I do to get a remote control replacement?

Am I screwed?
Amazon or eBay are your best bet. Failing that a programmable one will suffice.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstuff View Post
You can also get a Harmony 650 remote which can easily download the codes for your blu-ray player and all your other equipment into itself.
I love gadgets and touch screens and smart hubs and all manner of technical whizbangery but the 650/700s are the perfect blend of features, ease of use and day-to-day durability.

I love those freaking things.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Almost any modern remote, including your cable or satellite remote, can be programmed for other devices. Usually you press a series of buttons and then enter a device code if you know it. If you don't know the code, there's usually a way where you can press a button until the device shuts off and then that usually winds up being correct. Also, almost any Sony TV remote should also operate your Sony BR player. My Pioneer receiver remote can control all of my devices once it's programmed with the proper codes (which it is).
Old 03-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #8

Jul 2016

I lose my shit
Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Just search for the model of your BD player with the word "remote" after it on ebay, unless you have some super rare chinese brand player (which you obviously don't) you're bound to find a replacement there, even if it's an old player by now.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Katy, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstuff View Post
I concur with this idea. I have two Harmonies in my household (one for upstairs, one for downstairs) and just bought one for my mother-in-law who is in her 60's and was getting tired of multiple remotes (and I had just bought and installed for her a sound bar since her new tv's internal speaker was shat which meant another remote). Plus if you add something, it's easy to reconfigure. I have no idea what I would do if I still had to go the 3-4 remote option.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #11

Feb 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Irwin View Post
You can buy generic remotes on eBay. There are many marketed specifically for Sony BD players. You just need to know the model number of your player. And in some cases, your players specific code. If you can determine the code, there are multi-device remotes that may work as well. Here is a list of known Sony BD player codes.
magnavox remote codes
https://codesforuniversalremotes.com...control-codes/
thank you for sharing the link
Old 01-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

if the player has an app and it's network connected (or bluetooth) then you can use that if you didn't want to spend money.

Happy New Year Ray Ray!
Old 01-12-2022, 01:53 AM   #13
Power Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

https://sony.encompass.com/item/1065.../1-493-105-11/

There are lookalike clones on Amazon too. Or try eBay.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:33 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012

im sure ebay or amazon has a replacement
Old 01-12-2022, 03:01 AM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2010

I've replaced a few remotes over the years, Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic. All were purchased on Amazon for between $10 and $15.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2016

Basically any Sony BD player remote will work with any Sony player. The remote from my Sony 4K player also works with both my Sony BD players and vice versa.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:43 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
Basically any Sony BD player remote will work with any Sony player. The remote from my Sony 4K player also works with both my Sony BD players and vice versa.
The same can't be said for the TV's though. Those have different codes and the Player and TV remotes often don't work completely with every model of TV, even if they work fine with another BD player. Thankfully, I have a large, older Sony remote from my SXRD set that does work with every Sony TV and player that I've tested it on and a backup of the same remote, if it fails.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #18

Aug 2017
Gorleston-on-Sea, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
Don't u find that a problem tho? You press the remote Power On and all your stuff comes on? Or are they all in diff rooms? I had that issue when i had two Sony players back in the day in my lounge, it was a pain. The Panasonics I used to have before this had remote device channels you could set so one remote and device used once channel and the other remote and device used the other. My Sony's didnt have that ...
Old 01-28-2022, 08:32 PM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggusDickus View Post
Don't u find that a problem tho? You press the remote Power On and all your stuff comes on? Or are they all in diff rooms? I had that issue when i had two Sony players back in the day in my lounge, it was a pain. The Panasonics I used to have before this had remote device channels you could set so one remote and device used once channel and the other remote and device used the other. My Sony's didnt have that ...
Nah, I have the 2 Sony players plugged into different multiboards and one is for CDs, the other for movies and it's on the same board as the TV which stays switched off unless in use. As long as you don't push Play or Eject on the remote when they're both active, it's fine.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders