Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Watcher (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
DC League of Super-Pets 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99
23 hrs ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99

Interspecies Reviewers (Blu-ray)
$39.99
20 hrs ago
The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Downton Abbey: A New Era 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
5 hrs ago
Green Lantern: Beware My Power (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Phantasm 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Where the Crawdads Sing (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The A-Team: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$63.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum

Old 07-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

Oct 2018
Default Suggestion to make separate blu-ray release entries for initial Criterions

Like the heading implies, simply a suggestion to make separate blu-ray release entries for the initial few announcements in Criterion's blu-ray run.

Like how the dual-format and blu-ray only entries for certain Criterion releases are separate entries, likewise for the first few titles in Criterion's blu-ray line (Bottle Rocket, Chungking Express, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Third Man, etc.) were housed in the digipaks with slipcovers.
Old 07-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Banned

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalopod View Post
Like the heading implies, simply a suggestion to make separate blu-ray release entries for the initial few announcements in Criterion's blu-ray run.

Like how the dual-format and blu-ray only entries for certain Criterion releases are separate entries, likewise for the first few titles in Criterion's blu-ray line (Bottle Rocket, Chungking Express, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Third Man, etc.) were housed in the digipaks with slipcovers.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Aren't these the initial Criterions already in the database? They all list digipak and slipcover as well.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2011
Orlando, FL

Bottle Rocket you linked isn't set to Digipak.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #4
Banned

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion0000 View Post
Bottle Rocket you linked isn't set to Digipak.
It does list "slipcover in original pressing" though, and includes the slip artwork images. If you own the digipak, why not update the database entry yourself? Mine is the later standard case edition, so I couldn't personal verify.

But I'm still unsure of the OP's request.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #5

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoffman View Post
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Aren't these the initial Criterions already in the database? They all list digipak and slipcover as well.
They are, I'm suggesting separate entries for the ones currently being sold at online retailers and brick-and-mortars.

Kinda like how if you look at the search results for Fantastic Mr. Fox, Frances Ha, Breaking the Waves or Y tu mamá también, there are 2 separate links, one to the current Blu-ray only release, and the other to the initial Dual-Format releases that are now out-of-print.

I'm suggesting the same 2 links for all the Criterion releases that had initially come in the digipack with the slipcover. The 2nd link just has the Amazon price listing, and no mentions of an initial slipcover or initial digipack, just a keep case.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
Banned

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
They are, I'm suggesting separate entries for the ones currently being sold at online retailers and brick-and-mortars.

Kinda like how if you look at the search results for Fantastic Mr. Fox, Frances Ha, Breaking the Waves or Y tu mamá también, there are 2 separate links, one to the current Blu-ray only release, and the other to the initial Dual-Format releases that are now out-of-print.

I'm suggesting the same 2 links for all the Criterion releases that had initially come in the digipack with the slipcover. The 2nd link just has the Amazon price listing, and no mentions of an initial slipcover or initial digipack, just a keep case.
OK, gotcha. What you're suggesting is to make separate blu-ray release entries for the second printings of Criterions. Of those first 4 examples you gave, only Bottle Rocket was released again, right? The next 4 you mentioned that had dual BD/DVD releases and now single BD releases have different UPC codes for the second printings.

I'm with you on having the database include all printings of releases, but I've been turned down by mods/admins when I've submitted some. I really wish this site was closer to Discogs policies and details because they have a very detailed yet understandable system. Whereas this site often allows bootlegs and "wish" releases to be added to the database, over multiple printings of legitimate Criterions?

Anyway, I believe this site's thinking is that they don't want multiple entries for releases that have only one UPC code. For example, they told me they no longer want 2 entries for the Vinegar Syndrome titles that have an exclusive with slipcover and a standard edition.

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:21 AM   #7

Nov 2009

So there is a DigiPack version of Bottle Rocket?

I can see it was was set to DigiPack on 3/22/15
Then to IronPak on 5/1/16 then changed back to DigiPack the same day.
Then that happened again on 5/6/16 for some reason, and yet again on 3/18/18. All that was done by the same person. Then on 10/30/20 it was changed from DigiPack to Standard Blu-ray case

If the first version was a DigiPack in a slipbox there should definitely be a different version listed. I have the standard case. But if I had the DigiPack this is not the correct spine for that version and would be incorrect for my collection in spine view.

If packaging is different that warrants an new entry. If first released with DVD then later released without, that warrants a new entry. But unfortunately a slipcover doesn't. I understand that can be annoying. But sometimes you get a slip. Sometimes you don't.
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:50 AM   #8

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDean View Post
So there is a DigiPack version of Bottle Rocket?

I can see it was was set to DigiPack on 3/22/15
Then to IronPak on 5/1/16 then changed back to DigiPack the same day.
Then that happened again on 5/6/16 for some reason, and yet again on 3/18/18. All that was done by the same person. Then on 10/30/20 it was changed from DigiPack to Standard Blu-ray case

If the first version was a DigiPack in a slipbox there should definitely be a different version listed. I have the standard case. But if I had the DigiPack this is not the correct spine for that version and would be incorrect for my collection in spine view.

If packaging is different that warrants an new entry. If first released with DVD then later released without, that warrants a new entry. But unfortunately a slipcover doesn't. I understand that can be annoying. But sometimes you get a slip. Sometimes you don't.
I have the Digipack version with the slip. When Criterion first started doing blu-rays all their releases were digipacks with slipcovers, and the ISBN would be on the slipcover, the inner digipack doesn't have the tag. It was only after negative feedback that they decided to switch to the clear scanovo keepcases for their BRs. Unfortunately, both versions I believe have the same UPC number.

Here are some pics.

Last edited by Cephalopod; 07-04-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (07-04-2022), TheDean (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 05:58 AM   #9

Nov 2009

Quote:
I have the Digipack version with the slip. When Criterion first started doing blu-rays all their releases were digipacks with slipcovers, and the ISBN would be on the slipcover, the inner digipack doesn't have the tag. It was only after negative feedback that they decided to switch to the clear scanovo keepcases for their BRs. Unfortunately, both versions I believe have the same UPC number.

Here are some pics.
[Show spoiler]

So it actually was a slipcover. I had no idea. I knew they did DigiPacks, but not slipcovers.

These cases definitely call for 2 entries.

I have changed the original back to a DigiPack and made a new entry for the standard case.

I uploaded your pics to the packaging section for the DigiPak, https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bottl...198/#Packaging

If you feel like taking some of the others you mentioned. You can upload them to their packaging sections and I'll make sure to make standard case versions of all of them.
Thanks given by:
Cephalopod (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 06:13 AM   #10

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

The original DigiPack + slipcover releases were:

The 400 Blows
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
The Last Metro
Last Year at Marienbad
The Man Who Fell to Earth
El Norte
The Third Man

It's not like the original packaging was some special limited edition type of release. If I remember correctly, Criterion received criticism for the packaging and they reissued them (with the same UPCs). They even sold replacement cases for each movie through their site for $5 so folks didn't have to repurchase them.

So I don't really see a need for two separate database entries per film. If anything, I'd suggest making a note in the title section saying "Reissued in standard Scanavo case shortly after release."
Old 07-05-2022, 06:59 AM   #11

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

The 400 Blows
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
The Last Metro
Last Year at Marienbad
El Norte
The Third Man

It's not like the original packaging was some special limited edition type of release. If I remember correctly, Criterion received criticism for the packaging and they reissued them (with the same UPCs). They even sold replacement cases for each movie through their site for $5 so folks didn't have to repurchase them.

So I don't really see a need for two separate database entries per film. If anything, I'd suggest making a note in the title section saying "Reissued in standard Scanavo case shortly after release."
I can understand that but.

If I owned this

I wouldn't want my collection to reflect that I owned this

and vice versa.

I don't see why there wouldn't be a need for two separate entries. I bet several people feel the same. Especially if your are looking at your collection in spine view.

If you only own the original version and looked at you collection in spine view. You would see the Scanavo case and think, "that is not what I own". I don't have the slipcover digiapak so I can't upload that spine. So I just cropped off the case so it more closely represents that version. If you happen to own both. Your collection can reflect that.

Doesn't matter if Criterion realized they made a mistake. A DigiPak exists and the database should reflect that.
Thanks given by:
Cephalopod (07-05-2022), jkoffman (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 09:52 AM   #12

Oct 2018

Quote:

The 400 Blows
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
The Last Metro
Last Year at Marienbad
El Norte
The Third Man
I think that's all of them. I believe some retail outlets still sell the Digipack of The Last Metro if you order online because that release just never sold that many copies to begin with. I'm unsure as to whether you'd get a scanovo case if you ordered directly off of Criterion's site now.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Criterion received criticism for the packaging and they reissued them (with the same UPCs). They even sold replacement cases for each movie through their site for $5 so folks didn't have to repurchase them.
Yeah, this is right. I don't recall the replacement cases though, because I didn't start collecting Criterions at that point, I started somewhat later.

Quote:
If you only own the original version and looked at you collection in spine view. You would see the Scanavo case and think, "that is not what I own". I don't have the slipcover digiapak so I can't upload that spine. So I just cropped off the case so it more closely represents that version. If you happen to own both. Your collection can reflect that.

Doesn't matter if Criterion realized they made a mistake. A DigiPak exists and the database should reflect that.
Thanks!

Here's a photo of the spine with other Criterion blu-ray keepcases, just crop out the others to update the spine list.

Kinda cool that it's slimmer than the keepcase, but slightly lengthier and taller.

I unfortunately don't own the other early BR digipacks with slips, and like I said, the barcode with the ISBN number was only printed on the slip, and not on the inner digipack, but you can check criterionforum to see whether you can find other packaging photos of the other early releases.
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (07-05-2022), TheDean (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 01:24 PM   #13
Banned

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
I have changed the original back to a DigiPack and made a new entry for the standard case.
If you're doing it here with Criterion, what's the reason we can no longer do this for the Vinegar Syndrome releases? We have years of including both the exclusive and the standard as separate releases, and now they've just stopped allowing it. Exclusives often include more than just a slipcover, such as a box or other unique packaging, a large book, etc.
Thanks given by:
TheDean (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #14

Oct 2018

Quote:
If you're doing it here with Criterion, what's the reason we can no longer do this for the Vinegar Syndrome releases? We have years of including both the exclusive and the standard as separate releases, and now they've just stopped allowing it. Exclusives often include more than just a slipcover, such as a box or other unique packaging, a large book, etc.
Idk about that, if the release is a slipcase with a booklet, poster or artcards I could see it being a separate release.

Also, as an aside, Oscilloscope always has their limited edition digipacks and their standard release blu-rays. They do spine numbers, and the digipacks are noticeably thicker, wider and taller than the regular blu-rays, although the stuff inside rarely differs (it occasionally comes with a filmmaker's message or collectible stickers). It'd be cool to separate those too.
Thanks given by:
jkoffman (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #15

Nov 2009

Quote:
I think that's all of them. I believe some retail outlets still sell the Digipack of The Last Metro if you order online because that release just never sold that many copies to begin with. I'm unsure as to whether you'd get a scanovo case if you ordered directly off of Criterion's site now.

Yeah, this is right. I don't recall the replacement cases though, because I didn't start collecting Criterions at that point, I started somewhat later.

Thanks!

Here's a photo of the spine with other Criterion blu-ray keepcases, just crop out the others to update the spine list.

Kinda cool that it's slimmer than the keepcase, but slightly lengthier and taller.

I unfortunately don't own the other early BR digipacks with slips, and like I said, the barcode with the ISBN number was only printed on the slip, and not on the inner digipack, but you can check criterionforum to see whether you can find other packaging photos of the other early releases.
Thanks!

The site makes all images the same height. But it is slimmer.

Also able to use your photo for other spines.

Quote:
I am not very familiar with Vinegar Syndrome. But looking at these from a quick search. It seems like the only difference with Amityville is the release date. And Battle for the Lost Planet is that if you purchased from Vinegar Syndrome you got a slipcover. If that is the case a not should be good enough. But if you get a box or other unique packaging, a book, etc. That should have a separate entry. Do you have any examples of such things?

Quote:
Idk about that, if the release is a slipcase with a booklet, poster or artcards I could see it being a separate release.

Also, as an aside, Oscilloscope always has their limited edition digipacks and their standard release blu-rays. They do spine numbers, and the digipacks are noticeably thicker, wider and taller than the regular blu-rays, although the stuff inside rarely differs (it occasionally comes with a filmmaker's message or collectible stickers). It'd be cool to separate those too.
That is good to know. I remember one time when looking at image submissions. This Oscilloscope release was very confusing.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:17 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2015
U.S.

Quote:
I am not very familiar with Vinegar Syndrome. But looking at these from a quick search. It seems like the only difference with Amityville is the release date. And Battle for the Lost Planet is that if you purchased from Vinegar Syndrome you got a slipcover. If that is the case a not should be good enough. But if you get a box or other unique packaging, a book, etc. That should have a separate entry. Do you have any examples of such things?
The majority of VS exclusives are only a slipcover, but not all. Plus they're adding about a dozen more partner label releases each month, so I'll circle back when I find something I can verify.
Thanks given by:
TheDean (07-07-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Feedback Forum

Tags
blu-ray, criterion, digipack, digipak, separation