Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Stand (Blu-ray)
$29.95

The Haunting of Bly Manor (Blu-ray)
$29.95

The Haunting: 2-Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.95
1 day ago
Resident Alien: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
The Stand: The Definitive 2-Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.95

To Love Ru Darkness 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
23 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.46
11 hrs ago
Wonder Woman: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Trek: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$95.99

Doctor Who: Sylvester McCoy: Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$214.99

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: The Complete Second Season & OVA (Blu-ray)
$35.68
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #20041
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakninja View Post
And what's happening with their Netflix's offering?
They are actually brining a Chinese Sci Fi Book trilogy called the Three Body Problem to Netflix

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...e-body-problem
Old 03-19-2021, 01:53 AM   #20042

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmatthews View Post
Well, I do plan to rewatch the series (I did enjoy it), but you've missed the point of my complaint, which is that
[Show spoiler] Jon's true Targaryen heritage was irrelevant to the series; it changed nothing about Jon's character arc.
[Show spoiler]It destroyed his entire relationship with Dany him not being able to love her like that which left her even more alone in Westeros after losing her family since arriving he was now a huge threat to Dany's lifelong journey of being the queen on the iron throne everything she went through in the show and lost was for this and this contributed in pushing her over the edge he maybe had a chance to pull her back in there meeting before the battle in E5 the bells from her darkest impluses -Fire & blood a huge event and major turning point in the end for the show I think it did have relevance to the series IMO
Thanks given by:
50strat54 (03-27-2021), Kevinicus (03-23-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #20043
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2012
Origae-6

HBO Reveals Plans for Game of Thrones 10th Anniversary..

Quote:
On Monday morning, HBO announced The Iron Anniversary, a month-long celebration of Game of Thrones' decade of existence.

HBO is kicking off the festivities with a Game of Thrones spotlight on the HBO Max streaming service. The Game of Thrones spotlight page will curate all sorts of information about the show and fandom, including behind-the-scenes extras, cast interviews, clips, and trailers. Most of this content has never been available on HBO Max before.

Starting April 10th, HBO will kick off a Game of Thrones "MaraThrone." This will feature a back-to-back airing of every episode of Season 1 of Game of Thrones and challenge fans to re-binge the entire series. This will also include a charity element, as stars of the show will be reaching out to fans to help with various charitable causes. The cast members will be aiming to get contributions for one of the ten following causes: Women for Women International, World Central Kitchen, Conservation International, International Rescue Committee, UNICEF, FilmAid International, SameYou, Royal Mencap Society, National Urban League, and The Trevor Project.

Additionally, HBO will be partnering with several different companies to create limited edition products for the Iron Anniversary. You can check out the official list of new products below.

A one-of-a-kind Imperial egg by Fabergé, the world’s most iconic artist jeweler, inspired by Daenerys Targaryen, and co-designed by series Emmy Award-winning costume designer Michele Clapton. The egg includes a miniature crown designed by Ms. Clapton, which represents the crown Daenerys would have worn had she taken the Iron Throne.
Mikkeller, the Danish craft beer company, have launched a range of beers inspired by the series, that will let fans all over the world celebrate one stein at a time. Fans can cheer with the first beer in the assortment called “Iron Anniversary IPA.”

Pop culture products leader Funko have unveiled a new iron-textured limited-edition assortment of fan-favorite Game of Thrones Pop! vinyl collectibles and new figures based on Arya Stark, Khal Drogo, and many more. Available for pre-order now at retailers everywhere.
Game of Thrones: Complete Collection is available to own on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and through select digital retailers. The complete series is also available to stream on HBO Max. °
Old 04-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #20044
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012
California

HBO has posted a new Season 8 trailer.

Looks epic and truly wonder how it's going to end. I'm guessing the final battle with the White Walkers for King's Landing will be epic and Cersei will get the most deserved death in TV history. Also guessing, Jon will die fighting for Dany who will become the Queen that Westeros has needed. As he dies he will be with Dany and will start to say that Dany is his Queen, but will be interrupted by Dany who will say "no, you are my King". Dany will become a queen that is firm, but will preserve the lives of the innocents. Again these are just my predictions. Can't wait to see how it all ends.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:34 AM   #20045
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTogo84 View Post
HBO has posted a new Season 8 trailer.

Game of Thrones | Official Season 8 Trailer (HBO) - YouTube

Looks epic and truly wonder how it's going to end. I'm guessing the final battle with the White Walkers for King's Landing will be epic and Cersei will get the most deserved death in TV history. Also guessing, Jon will die fighting for Dany who will become the Queen that Westeros has needed. As he dies he will be with Dany and will start to say that Dany is his Queen, but will be interrupted by Dany who will say "no, you are my King". Dany will become a queen that is firm, but will preserve the lives of the innocents. Again these are just my predictions. Can't wait to see how it all ends.

Wait and see, and have no expectations is my advice.

Heard today that GOT finale have been voted the worst finale of all time (which I think is very harsh, Lost is second, which I think should be first).

While the GOT finale was average, it was not all that bad. I think the Disneyfication of storytelling has a lot to do with how people responded so poorly to it.

For the benefit of those who haven't seen the final two episodes,
[Show spoiler]I still think the ending was justified. The story came to a logical conclusion. Let's say Dany plays nice and is welcomed once the bells stop tolling and Cersei is burnt alive. Does everyone think that the Lords of Westoros and the common people are going to want a foreign ruler, with Barbarian hordes and the Unsullied keeping the peace? Without her dragons, the Westorosi would revolt. There would be a constant state of Civil War. The North would leave the 7 kingdoms the first chance they get. To have Dany on the throne and ruling with some kind of happy ending would be bullshit. It would have negated the political and socioeconomic plot that was laid out in the first 7 seasons.

Dany always had a psychopathic streak. And after the loss of Missandei, she was a real mess. And when Jon turns away at the thought of continuing a sexual relationship with with aunt, that was the last straw. There was nobody left to comfort her and guide her. She snapped, like her Father had a couple of decades earlier. The ending supported the idea that when a Targaryen is born, the gods flip a coin. It eventually landed crazy side up.

Game of Thrones was a tragedy, and the ending supported that story. An ending with Dany on the throne would have made it a comedy.

One last way to look at GOT was that it was the story of the true heir to the throne, Jon Snow (AKA Aegon Targaryen). We see how he was a bastard with simple dreams of becoming a Ranger and after a huge adventure where he was involved with ensuring the world would survive, and a battle to ensure that the family who killed his Uncle (Ned Stark), would be usurped. In the end, he put down Dany, since she had become akin to a rabid dog, and through the North's influence and power (they would have laid siege to the capital had he been killed), he was allowed to live out his days on The Wall. Where he always wanted to go. A ranger, patrolling the wasteland beyond the wall. The final scene is indicative of this return to a normal life. Fade to black. The tragic story of Aegon Targaryen is over.

All in all, the story came to a conclusion, that was a little bit rushed, but it tied up most loose ends and Game of Thrones got an ending that was believable and in keeping with the 72 episodes.
Thanks given by:
Jayderek (05-12-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #20046

Nov 2018

My problem with the ending is that after all this time I've spent with these characters I should be more emotional. I watched LOTR Ext again this Easter and from "you bow to no one" and to the credits rolled I was a wreck, bawling like a hungry baby. Why didn't I feel something more when GOT ended? I wasn't as hard on the last season as many and I thought it ended good, like Rick Grimes descibes above. But after all these episodes and years, I should be more sad and emotional at the end. But I wasn't, and that's why I felt a bit disappointed. It was the journey that was great, not the ending.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #20047

Mar 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieJ View Post
My problem with the ending is that after all this time I've spent with these characters I should be more emotional. I watched LOTR Ext again this Easter and from "you bow to no one" and to the credits rolled I was a wreck, bawling like a hungry baby. Why didn't I feel something more when GOT ended?
Agree. At the end I wanted to say - is that all? There was no WOW effect at the end. But the show was cult. So the culmination should have been enchanting ... And now it only remains to wait for the books to come out in order to evaluate how everything could have been.
But with the fact that this ending of the show is the worst, I cannot agree. It's not that bad.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #20048
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky woman View Post
But with the fact that this ending of the show is the worst, I cannot agree. It's not that bad.
It certainly wasn't what a lot of us wanted/hoped, but you are right - it is far from the dumpster fire that a certain contingent of "fans" make it out to be.

The real problem isn't where the chess pieces ended up on the board - it's how rushed the whole thing was, how the pace changed so dramatically from what had come before.

IMHO, D&D were just ready to be done, they didn't have any new book material to work with, and just decided to race to the end. They wanted to move on.

As a viewer, I really do wish they had just done at least the last two seasons as full 10-episodes, if not do another season or two. It's not that it's bad, it's just rushed. I agree with George RR Martin - there easily were 10 full ten-episode seasons there.

I think D&D get a really bad rap, though - because while I do get the criticism of them ending it as quickly as they did, I think they take WAY too much flak about their "fan fic" or whatever. Martin hasn't produced a book in a decade. They did the best they could with what they had.

The last two books - and especially the last one - were meandering messes that introduced random characters and plotlines that would have been terrible on screen. You think Dorne ended up bad? I can't imagine what it would have been like had they delved any deeper. It would just be a whole different show that ultimately has nothing to do with the overall plot of what is going on in Westeros.

They did an incredible job in adapting that material, in spite of the flak they get in some circles for the changes they did make, even in the earlier seasons. Many of the narrative changes/character differences play much better in the show than the books. Particularly the female roles - Cersei and Sansa in particular.

The irony is kind of hitting me as I've been writing this - that the criticism of the TV show is that it ended too early, and the problem with the books is that they are never going to finish, LOL.

GoT still was an amazing show, and I keep waiting for the 4K set to go on sale because I've been feeling the need to binge it lately, and I want to retire my Blu-rays. It certainly has flaws, but it still is one hell of a show, probably the best drama in TV history.
Thanks given by:
captveg (06-25-2021), Rick Grimes (04-16-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #20049
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

I still consider it a really good show. On reflection any negative feelings I have aren’t related to the final season. Similar to BSG, it’s more about having an all powerful god directly manipulating events to the extent dead characters can come back to life with no real reason other than because that’s what the god wanted (and it suited the plot). Choices matter as they lead to consequence. Remove consequence and that starts eroding the unfolding drama. It doesn’t really matter what’s at stake if the god decides certain characters can’t die, can come back to life, be granted special abilities or whatever. Imo.

Last edited by Josep5349; 04-15-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #20050
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

GOT on twitter tweeted "Winter is Coming" out of nowhere. We getting teaser for House of the Dragon soon?
Old 04-16-2021, 02:17 AM   #20051
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
I still consider it a really good show. On reflection any negative feelings I have aren’t related to the final season. Similar to BSG, it’s more about having an all powerful god directly manipulating events to the extent dead characters can come back to life with no real reason other than because that’s what the god wanted (and it suited the plot). Choices matter as they lead to consequence. Remove consequence and that starts eroding the unfolding drama. It doesn’t really matter what’s at stake if the god decides certain characters can’t die, can come back to life, be granted special abilities or whatever. Imo.

To be fair to BSG, they set up the “One True God” orchestration at the beginning. “All this has happened, before and all this will happen again”. The even telegraph what Baltar’s hallucinations actually are in the first few episodes (especially since the “6” that appeared to make accusations against Baltar, according to the crew following her... BSG Spoiler
[Show spoiler]she disappeared when she walked around the corner pointing out the fact that she is what she is in that episode, an angel.
- BSG Spoiler.

So, with BSG, it is more acceptable. And to a lesser degree, the “God of light” rhetoric also pushes an all powerful guiding force. And like BSG, they do push the orchestration issue towards the end of Season 7, when at Eastwatch, a bunch of major characters come together. Then Beric points out that for some reason, we are all here at the top of the world, there must be a point to all this.

And even the Red Witches prophetic words re: Arya, pay off in the final season, suggesting a divine power knew what could happen. So GOT, like BSG, uses a similar plot point, but to a lesser degree. Free will appears to be a factor in GOT, and BSG not so much, and has a divine intervention component that is more apparent.

Back to the finale and the final season of GOT, I disagree that it was rushed. It may not have been teased out like Season 2 and 3 (one book across two seasons), which I felt left Season 3 dragging a little, apart from Ep 9 onwards and the Red Wedding. Albeit, the wedding pays off emotionally, big time, having sat through the romance of Rob and his wife, but I feel they did stretch some other storyline’s too far eg. Brianne and the Kingslayer’s journey and especially the creation of Reek. Essentially, I believe that doing 20x 1hr eps for Season 7 and 8 would have left Thrones dragging shit out.

When you watch S8 again, with the extended run times, and especially S8 Ep2, they really take their time building up the battle and touch on a lot of storyline’s with plenty of exposition. The battle itself is also epic and plays out nicely, with just the right run time. I think the GOT writers had come to a crescendo and had nowhere else to go with teasing out scenes. I agree that some stuff could be considered rushed or brushed over (Sam’s story especially) and they intentionally left some pivotal moments out (A teleplay of Jon telling Sansa and Arya who he really is), which was a cop out for mine, and my biggest criticism.

All in all, the change to the format to what I consider to be an “extended” Season 7 (even though they call it a shortened S7 & S8) worked, for the most part. I don’t but the suggestion that they were in a rush to do Star Wars, as many have pointed out. I find that it was simply how Weiss and his co-accused wanted to write the final eps. The Sopranos did the same thing, with a Season 6 that was split into Part 1 and 2 (that didn’t follow the usual 13 episode per season arc). I definitely feel that to tell the stories that are in the last episodes of Game of Thrones, they had to have extended episodes, which leads to less episodes. But essentially, the scenes were just not there to go another 20 hours. Could you imagine having to start the final battle with the Wight Walkers, have it cut to black, credits roll and then having to wait until the next week to watch the rest of it. I don’t buy the notion that there was enough material for 20 more episodes following the end of S6. If Martin said there was, I’m not surprised, as he has a case of diarrhoea of the keyboard. He can write too much shit (although art present he is constipated). It was logical for Beniof and Weiss, and the writers room, to tell the story they way they did, allowing them to not be constrained by hour long episodes.

When it comes to how powerful the ending was, while that is a factor, I question where we should only gauge it’s worth by that measuring tool. In that respect, I felt that Season 4 was easily the best season, and had the best season finale (Season 6 running a close second). But like any “2nd act” style storyline (eg. Empire Strikes Back is voted the best film of the holy trilogy), they tend to be full-on emotionally, and have some amazing twists and turns, just as Season 4 did.
Compared to the finale, I felt more emotional payoff with Arya going off on her boat ride at the end of Season 4 (and everything else... Whoa), then I did at the end of the finale. So I agree with DougieJ, the GOT finale didn’t create a swelling of emotion. I did feel nostalgic and reflective,
[Show spoiler]watching Sansa take the throne in the North, Arya travel by sea out West and Jon returning North of the Wall.
It was a nice way to show us what happened to the existing Stark children, and when compared to the pilot, it was a nice moment. However, I wasn’t feeling tearful as I did with the Breaking Bad finale, or choking on tears as I did with the Six Feet Under finale (but cheekily, Alan Ball used the emotive power of the shows cold openings, to pen a very clever way to finish a show about death).

Last of all, to go back to my original post re: The finale and how the Proles have voted it the worst finale of all time. While so many are quick to gripe about how quick it was, most of my workmates we’re whining following the penultimate episode. Then, and a lot of fans, were just so upset about how it all turned out, it didn’t really matter how the finale would have gone, many casual viewers were ready to slam the finale. Another dagger in the heart of many was who became King and the fates of some of the major characters (and one in particular), but you could argue that that character was doomed following their actions in that penultimate episode. I am positive, that for the majority, it is the direction that the story took that is the real issue that many have with the finale, and it would be foremost for the proles. I found that the ending followed a logical conclusion based on the direction the story was progressing in, and it all happened organically. The story was in keeping with the tragic nature of GOT. When you play the Game of Thrones... yada, yada, yada. Beniof and Weiss always said that the ending will be bitter sweet:
[Show spoiler]The bitter perhaps being Dany going mad and the sweet being Jon getting to live in the True North, like he wanted.
. There is a sound byte from Ramsay Bolton that I heard recently that says it best “If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention”.

B.D.
Thanks given by:
captveg (06-25-2021), darthpepsi (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:19 AM   #20052

Mar 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
GOT on twitter tweeted "Winter is Coming" out of nowhere. We getting teaser for House of the Dragon soon?
May it be so! It's high time for HBO to shake up our audience and give us food for discussion and reflection!
Old 04-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #20053
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

In early December, HBO released two teaser images with the caption "Dragons are coming" as part of an announcement that filming begins in 2021.

At least if the show doesn’t satisfy fans, they can’t blame the fact there is no source material. It will revolve the “Dance of Dragons” period, where a Targaryen Civil War occurred, that decimated the dragon population, leaving them to go extinct (Stannis’ daughter talked about it in Season 5).

It is exciting, but I will go in without any expectations. If it’s hyped, the chance of dissatisfaction is increased.

Here are a couple of links synopsis, who has been cast etc.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/ho...at-1-42-41-pm/

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...of-the-dragon/
Old 04-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #20054
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

This is the most pumped I've been for a new show in years!
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (06-26-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #20055

Mar 2021

Especially I was conquered by the three-headed dragon! But will it really look like this? But, in principle, this is not important. The main thing is that there are many dragons! More than there were in GOT!
Old 05-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #20056

Mar 2021

I'm rewatching the show in 4k (up to season 7 now) and before I use to defend some of the criticism others had about the pacing of the show, especially in the later seasons. I'm now starting to understand that criticism and growing to really dislike how much onscreen time is given to the character Bran knowing he is one-dimensional and mostly irrelevant to the journey of the story.

I have also noticed that Deaneries is helpless in every situation when she's not surrounded by thousands of freed slaves willing to die for her and commanders who want to sleep with her. In the earlier seasons she overcomes a lot of brutality and makes others pay for what they have done to her. In the later seasons she's mostly a victim who uses her disposable army to threaten and kill those who oppose her.

Theon Greyjoy is surprising one of the most interesting characters in the show. If Bran is one-dimensional then Theon is multi-dimensional. He goes from captor to squire of the man who captured him. He goes from brother to traitor. He goes from tortured captor to reek. Eventually he finds a balance and becomes the character he should have been all along.

Then there's Arya, she is a great character early on, but the many face god storyline and her development into an assassin by being beaten with a stick and blinded doesn't really make any sense. She's suppose to be sneaky and cunning and what she does to stop the White Walkers is ridiculous. This is probably the biggest gripe I have with the show. Granted, nobody really knows how to kill the White Walkers, there's a lot of buildup to this point and for it to end so easily is ridiculous lazy writing.

Given all these problems I would still say GOT is the best show I have ever seen.
Thanks given by:
Ashamed Pegasus (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #20057
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Elizabeth Olsen Game of Thrones Daenerys audition
Old 06-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #20058
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7orThree View Post
Given all these problems I would still say GOT is the best show I have ever seen.
I'm with ya. I don't have nearly as many issues as some of the fans, and I actually enjoy most of the final season...but, even with the problems I do have, no other show has ever engaged me to such an extent and left me with so many incredible moments and even greater reflections after the fact.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #20059
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

It's still jarring because even with a few cracks showing with 2 episodes left in the show, Daenerys still isn't the mad queen. I know she deeply loved Missandei but her death wouldn't have pushed Daenerys from kind liberator with some violent tendencies to violent despot who wants to crush everyone else. I am really hoping when/if GRRM finishes the books, he handles it a lot better than Dumb and Dumber did. I've actually decided my first ever marathon of Game of Thrones in 4k will end with two episodes to go. Nothing happens in the final two episodes other than the death of the Lannisters and Gregor Clegane that I actually want to see so I just won't watch them. Onto Friends and the 8 Harry Potter films instead.

Last edited by Batman1980; 06-26-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows