Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96

Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 hr ago
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Apr 2009
Default Dumbo Platinum/Diamond Edition?!

From Ultimatedisney.com:

"We've just gotten news from Disney that the next animated classic slated for Platinum Edition treatment after Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is Dumbo, scheduled for release next February.
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 had previously been announced, while others anticipated an Alice in Wonderland re-release to tie in with Tim Burton's mixed-medium filming coming to theaters next spring."

I honestly did not see this one coming. Anyone else heard about this?

Dumbo Blu-ray
Dumbo Blu-ray Review (Coming Soon)

Last edited by iceman; 01-31-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Are you saying FANTASIA is cancled? and been replaced by DUMBO or are you saying in addition to FANTASIA etc we could see a release for DUMBO?

They should put out more than 2 a year... and ALICE would be a welcomed edition on BD the last special edition was a good one, but it still wasn't as good as the laserdisc box set bonus features.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I haven't seen Dumbo since the 1990s so this will be a welcome addition to my blu-ray library, I think I saw this movie like 200 times as a child.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #4

May 2009

I could see them releasing Dumbo as a Platinum in February and the Fantasias as Diamonds in March. They could be continuing both lines in some way.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

oh I know is that I want both FANTASIA's on BD next spring... I can't wait to get info on extras... I would guess a trailer etc would be included on the SNOW WHITE release.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Expert Member

May 2008
Clementon NJ

would have prefered alice in wonder land but will def pick this up
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

I really hope that Disney boosts their output. I would love to see some of the recent titles that didn't generate the heat of the new Disney Renaissance (Lilo & Stitch, Mulan, Atlantis) come to blu.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

If FANTASIA is delayed, I'll be crushed...unless they're delaying the set to add FANTASIA 1982.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 08-17-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanger-Hanger View Post
From Ultimatedisney.com:

"We've just gotten news from Disney that the next animated classic slated for Platinum Edition treatment after Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is Dumbo, scheduled for release next February.
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 had previously been announced, while others anticipated an Alice in Wonderland re-release to tie in with Tim Burton's mixed-medium filming coming to theaters next spring."

I honestly did not see this one coming. Anyone else heard about this?
Umm....NO.
And given Ultimate Disney, I'll pour on the Morton Iodized until I see the trailer on the Snow White disk.

(Although I'll grant that it is theoretically possible, as Disney has been making an all-out push to "redeem" Dumbo's name after putting out that 2-disk because they thought there'd be a video-sequel....
But then, they thought there'd be a video-sequel because up to that point it'd been one of their bottom sellers--Like "Sleeping Beauty", there's more of an "art" core of experts who enjoy the movie than actual fans, but not to the Blu-ray preservation extent that Disney would shuffle existing Platinum schedules around for it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
If FANTASIA is delayed, I'll be crushed...unless they're delaying the set to add FANTASIA 1982--
--(slap!) K00k!

Last edited by EricJ; 08-17-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #10

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Umm....NO.
Sorry Eric, but I just remembered the BBFC's site listed a trailer for a 70th Anniversary (1 year early!) edition of the movie in May (has been removed since). It was the subject of this thread:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/...=24896&start=0

And why is UD bad for news? Right, I forget. The anti-blu-ray slant by some posters means any news is automagically not true.

Don't forget people that Lady and the Tramp was released February 28th 2006. It wouldn't be the first time Disney changed the line-up or release month of titles in the "Platinum/Diamond" series.

EDIT: Found the trailer notice! http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...E?OpenDocument

Last edited by Flanger-Hanger; 08-17-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
If FANTASIA is delayed, I'll be crushed...unless they're delaying the set to add FANTASIA 1982.
I'd much prefer a Fantasia 2010. Seems Fantasia is always a money losing experiment for them, but I wish it could become what Walt wanted it to be way back when.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #12

Mar 2009
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyclown View Post
would have prefered alice in wonder land but will def pick this up
Agreed! As I've stated in other threads about Disney blu's, imagine the color with that movie!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanger-Hanger View Post
Sorry Eric, but I just remembered the BBFC's site listed a trailer for a 70th Anniversary (1 year early!) edition of the movie in May (has been removed since). It was the subject of this thread:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/...=24896&start=0

EDIT: Found the trailer notice! http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...E?OpenDocument
So...we're talking about the UK version, then, like that Aladdin confusion that always keeps turning up?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

I watched Dumbo all the time as a kid. The only thing I saw on Fantasia was The Sorcerer's Apprentice. So I will happily add Dumbo to my collection. I never knew my opinion would actually sway Disney to what I want....lucky me!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeklo View Post
I watched Dumbo all the time as a kid. The only thing I saw on Fantasia was The Sorcerer's Apprentice. So I will happily add Dumbo to my collection. I never knew my opinion would actually sway Disney to what I want....lucky me!
Well, some are worrying it wasn't your opinion that swayed them--
We'd just finished safe-discrediting even loopier rumors that WDW was going to "expand" its Dumbo ride, when all of a sudden Disney embarks on an unnannounced strategic Shock-and-Awe Movie Strike to make us "suddenly" recall a bit of vintage character association...
(Qv. re-releasing "Peter Pan", just as they were toying with ideas for a Tinkerbell movie)

Could just be coincidence, but never underestimate Disney's efforts to "avenge" Dumbo...
It's almost as Ahab-ic as their continuing obsessions to "avenge" The Aristocats.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #16

Apr 2009

Quote:
So...we're talking about the UK version, then, like that Aladdin confusion that always keeps turning up?
No, the BBFC often posts info and material on releases (theatrical and video) that show up in NA. It was the BBFC that first notified people here of the new editions for Pete's Dragon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Coraline's (a non-Disney example) bonus content etc.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #17

Jan 2009
Iowa

Quote:
Well, some are worrying it wasn't your opinion that swayed them--
We'd just finished safe-discrediting even loopier rumors that WDW was going to "expand" its Dumbo ride, when all of a sudden Disney embarks on an unnannounced strategic Shock-and-Awe Movie Strike to make us "suddenly" recall a bit of vintage character association...
(Qv. re-releasing "Peter Pan", just as they were toying with ideas for a Tinkerbell movie)

Could just be coincidence, but never underestimate Disney's efforts to "avenge" Dumbo...
It's almost as Ahab-ic as their continuing obsessions to "avenge" The Aristocats.
I am not getting what you mean when you say avenge this or that? What are they trying to avenge?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #18

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFightingPanda View Post
I am not getting what you mean when you say avenge this or that? What are they trying to avenge?
I think he's trying to point out Disney's synergy efforts. Re-release and old title to tie into a new product featuring the same characters (all the Marie merch for The Aristocats, Pete Pan's re-release to promote Tinker Belle Movie etc).

Though why he chose the word "avenge" over say, "reintroduce" is beyond me. Or why he thinks a proposed addition to the Magic Kingdom to increase park capacity and that of an already popular attraction is also odd.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFightingPanda View Post
Dumbo is a perennial - it was among the first animated features shown on Walt's "Disneyland" TV show (Alice was first), one of the first animated features released on a home video format, and has been in almost constant release on home video ever since. It is also a beloved and acclaimed film, I'm not sure what needs to be "avenged" either.

As for The Artistocats, well, it isn't one of the studio's crown jewels, although it has its own charms. Much like Robin Hood, it suffers from a lack of a strong central narrative, is episodic, and has spotty production values, despite some winning characters and Sherman Bros. songs. I don't know what needs to be "avenged" in this case, as the film really has no right to feel "wronged" by anyone.

Quote:
Though why he chose the word "avenge" over say, "reintroduce" is beyond me. Or why he thinks a proposed addition to the Magic Kingdom to increase park capacity and that of an already popular attraction is also odd.
Eric is a passionate fellow. I'm sure he'll be along to explain it all to us in short order. I imagine he's referring to that MiceAge rumour that Fantasyland in WDW is getting a makeover to compete with the Harry Potter land at Universal, and this would include an expanded Dumbo attraction.

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 08-18-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #20

Apr 2009

Quote:
Eric is a passionate fellow. I'm sure he'll be along to explain it all to us in short order. I imagine he's referring to that MiceAge rumour that Fantasyland in WDW is getting a makeover to compete with the Harry Potter land at Universal, and this would include an expanded Dumbo attraction.
Oh believe me I'm very well versed in this particular rumour, but I don't understand why a theme park revision (adding a second Dumbo with fancy queue and relocating the original) would prompt a re-release of a video title that has tons of them already.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists