Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Age of Consent (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Wrong Box (Blu-ray)
£14.99
18 hrs ago
Georgy Girl (Blu-ray)
£14.99
23 hrs ago
Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
£9.99
18 hrs ago
First Man (Blu-ray)
£14.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Doctor Who: Twice Upon A Time (Blu-ray)
£7.79

Children of Men (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Charlie Bubbles (Blu-ray)
£14.99
16 hrs ago
Star Wars: The Clone Wars, The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
£9.05
14 hrs ago
Gosford Park (Blu-ray)
£14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2009
Serbia&Montenegro
United Kingdom First Mario Bava on Blu-ray

This announcement makes my day.
Bay of Blood (Reazione a catena) will be released by Arrow Video on 22th of September:
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arro...bay-blood.html
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

Twitch of the Death Nerve?! Sweet! Looking forward to their cover design. I'll be pre-ordering this as soon as its online.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

awesome news! Bava's visual style is perfect for the blu-ray format i dont know why its taking so long for his movies to get released
finally something!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Expert Member

Feb 2009

And so it starts...
Hopefully the first of many!

I'm sooooo getting any of his films that sees a release on BD.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Great news. Hope Lisa And The Devil is along soon.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Mar 2010
Netherlands

Woohoo! Not my favourite Bava at all, but definitely a must-have. Bring on more Bava!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2009
Serbia&Montenegro

Pre-order at Amazon
Pre-order at Play.com
Old 08-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #8

Nov 2007

Excellent news! Definitely going for this one. Fingers crossed the likes of Black Sabbath, Kill, baby...Kill! and Lisa And The Devil will follow.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Great news! The father of giallo.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN
Default Bay of Blood Arrow Release

Any word on region coding for BAY OF BLOOD?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

theyve mostly all been region free so far so id say its safe to assume this one will be as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
Power Member

Aug 2010

its been put back till 6/12. With Deep Red now locked in at 13/12. Im guessing they will again be put back till Jan as they are not the kind of films people will generally buy in the run up to xmas unfortanately
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Another Arrow screw-up?

According to DVDBeaver, the Italian version is in HD with a file size of 9.8 GB!

I'm disturbed. First DNR overuse, and now they're basically putting DVD-sized features on Blu-ray at 1080 resolution? Why not just make it SD???

I hope I'm wrong somehow...perhaps it's upconverted from an SD master. Surely Arrow didn't actually compress a true HD master just to fit it on the same disc with all their HD extras?

Last edited by McCrutchy; 12-02-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #14

Apr 2010
UK

It's been delayed until the 20th December now, maybe they're fixing this? I have to say I've been pleased with the Arrow releases so far, but their policy of rushing releases/putting back release dates annoys the hell out of me. They should get the discs all sorted before announcing a date. I guess they're rushing to be the first to release everything to cash in on foreign sales before the native versions come out.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

After a promising start Arrow have been rather disappointing lately, and I've stopped buying their discs to wait until comparisons with foreign ones are in such as the US Inferno (or the German one if it ever comes out)
Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
Expert Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Another Arrow screw-up?

According to DVDBeaver, the Italian version is in HD with a file size of 9.8 GB!

I'm disturbed. First DNR overuse, and now they're basically putting DVD-sized features on Blu-ray at 1080 resolution? Why not just make it SD???

I hope I'm wrong somehow...perhaps it's upconverted from an SD master. Surely Arrow didn't actually compress a true HD master just to fit it on the same disc with all their HD extras?
From what I understand, the inclusion of the Italian version was treated as a bonus, and it came from the same SD source used on Raro's Italian DVD release, so it should look similar, and not true HD.

Since I knew that beforehand, that didn't bother me. What does bother me quite a bit is their transfers. All their titles I own, with no exception, have an abnormal use of DNR, to a point we loose pretty much all facial detail, and we get a "fuzzy" look that's far from what film should look like.
They usually take existing transfers, or transfers made with shared costs with other labels, and then in the actual encoding process they seem to feel the need to DNR things (probably to make them look "HD"), and their releases end up having an inferior look to what other labels put out.

I would prefer that, instead of wasting their time with the outside of the packaging (with the different covers and whatnot), or even with the special features (while I appreciate their work with the extras, if the actual film doesn't look that good, it all takes a very secondary importance), they should focus their efforts on what they do with the actual transfers. Leave grain alone, these films weren't made last year. Don't DNR the hell of it.
Blue Underground will probably end up releasing this and Profondo Rosso on BD, using the same transfers as their sources, but I bet they won't mess with them during the encoding process, and their releases will end up looking way better than they do here, simply because they don't overuse DNR.

Last edited by Funktion; 12-02-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Another Arrow screw-up?

It's clearly an upscale, and looks really bad. They could have maxed the bitrate and it would not have made any difference.

Also, I'm not condoning such practices, but even if it had been true HD, a 13.99 Mbps video bitrate (according to DVD Beaver) is higher than many Warner titles, including Batman Begins, V for Vendetta and The Matrix sequels.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #18
Special Member

Feb 2010

Apparently, there's transport problems due to the snow in eastern Europe where the discs are manufactured. Also, December is usually a risky time to release niche titles when everyone usually wants to buy summer blockbusters. So I think that's the impetus behind releasing Deep Red in January.

I think the caps on the English language version of Bay of Blood look really good - there's certainly a lot of detail that you could not see before and I prefer the colours on the Arrow release.

However, I am reserving judgment on Deep Red - I need to see and read more than just rely on Beaver's dvd screencaps; I'll probably get it anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #19
Power Member

Dec 2008

I watched this yesterday, and boy am I impressed! Easily one of my best horror BD's and one of the best splasher movies ever!

Also, I was happy with the BD's PQ - no DNR and no needless cleaning made. And I doubt this will ever look better due to the way Bava shot this film.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #20

Mar 2010
Netherlands

Agreed, a wonderful treat this here Bay of Blood blu-ray. A lot of criticism has been fired at Arrow recently - some of it justified, most of if exaggerated - but this is a fine release.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland