Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
37 min ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
2 hrs ago
The Matrix Resurrections (Blu-ray)
$12.99
3 hrs ago
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
1 day ago
Dragons Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
No Time to Die (Blu-ray)
$12.99
3 hrs ago
The Addams Family 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.71
1 day ago
Dune (Blu-ray)
$12.99
4 hrs ago
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
5 hrs ago
SeaQuest DSV: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Killing Eve: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
Default The Official Marantz AV7005 Pre-Pro Thread (TBR October 2010)

I thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss the upcoming Marantz AV7005 pre-pro. I'm looking forward to the release of this unit, which is currently scheduled for October 2010. MSRP is listed at an attractive $1499. This one is on my shortlist and will likely be a day 1 purchase for me when it releases.

I like the minimalist styling!

Marantz AV7005 Product Page

July 2010 Press Release - AV7005 dubbed Marantz' "Flagship" Preamplifier (added 10/26/10)

Preorders are starting to appear (Added 10/09/10)

Features (Source: Marantz.com / User Manual Updated 10/21/11):
  • Newly designed clean front panel with a porthole 2nd display
  • Balanced(XLR) and Unbalanced(RCA) both 7.2 channel Pre Outputs
  • Current Feedback topology featuring marantz HDAM circuits for Pre-amplifier
  • Support HDMI ver.1.4a 3D, ARC and Content type, 6 Inputs(Front 1), 2 Outputs
  • Support HDMI CEC, Deep Color, x.v.Color, Auto Lip Sync and Standby Pass Through (Last or selected one in menu)
  • Front USB input for iPod/iPhone Digital connection (Audio) or USB Memory (Audio/Photo)
  • Ethernet port for Audio/Photo streaming (Support DLNA1.5, Windows 7)
  • Internet Radio through vTuner UI
  • Streaming service capability: Rhapsody/Napster/Pandora/flickr
  • WMA, MP3, WAV, MPEG4 AAC, FLAC
  • Dolby TrueHD, Digital Plus, Prologic IIz, IIx, II, Virtual Speaker, Headphone
  • dts-HD Master Audio, High Resolution Audio, ES Discete6.1, Matrix6.1, Neo:6, 96/24, Express, Neural Surround
  • Audyssey DSX, Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT Auto Calibration
  • Audyssey MultEQ Pro for Custom Installation
  • Bluetooth Wireless Audio Transmission Capability with option RX101
  • Composite/Component to HDMI scaling up to 1080p
  • HDMI to HDMI scaling
  • Composite to Component Analog up conversion
  • New color GUI On Screen Display
  • OSD overlay on HDMI output
  • Assignable HDMI, Component inputs
  • Anchor Bay 10-bit Video Processing/Scaling
  • M-DAX 2 (Improved Algorithm, Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander ver.2)
  • Dot Matrix x2 lines rich info. display in the front door
  • Input Rename, Skip, Level control
  • Selectable various volume setup: Power on, Limit and Mute level
  • 8 x7 groups, total 56 Tuner Preset
  • HD Radio
  • Sirius ready
  • Phono (MM) input
  • Shileded Large EI Transfomer
  • Zone2 Audio Pre outputs, Component/Composite Video output
  • Zone3 Audio Pre outputs
  • I/P Control
  • RS-232C for Custom Installation
  • Flasher In
  • DC Trigger Out x2
  • marantz D-Bus(RC-5) In/Out
  • External IR Receiver Capability with option RX101
  • Detachable Power Code (IEC320 2pin type)
  • Backlight, LCD, Learning and Precode System Remote Controller
  • Available Option Rack Mount Kit RMK8003AV

First Look at the AV7005 (Source: Audioholics.com):

Quote:
Executive Overview

Gone are the days of the AV Pre/Pro which was generations behind receivers in feature sets. It was once true that if you wanted a true separates solution for your home theater, you had to make do without not only the most recent advancements in AV technology, but often features that have been around for years in A/V receivers. In some arenas that is still true. Some Pre/Pro manufacturers have only recently added HDMI functionality to their products. For a long while you had to mate a receiver with pre-outs to an amplifier in order to get power and features.

Recently, we've seen a few manufacturers release full featured Pre/Pros but they've been costly. So much so that most Audioholics could only visit them in the store and look forlornly at them. Not any more. Marantz has impressed us again by announcing a Pre/Pro that not only has all the latest features but won't break the bank.

If you were looking at the new Marantz SR7005 and thinking to yourself, "Boy, I might get that and add an amp later," you're in luck. The new AV7005 Preamplifier has all the same features as their new SR7005 Network A/V receiver except without the amp section, but with balanced outputs. This means you're looking at the same 6 HDMI 1.4a inputs, 2 outputs with Audio Return Channel and 3D support. There are five inputs on the back and one on the front. We particularly support the decision to place an HDMI input on the front as it gives easy access for the myriad of new devices that are not coming HDMI equipped. Obviously camcorders come to mind but game systems (especially if you have teenagers) and even smartphones now could utilize that port.

Having all the latest decoding is a must and the AV7005 doesn't disappoint. Featuring Dolby ProLogic IIz and Audyssey DSX, you can now implement height and width channels to enhance your home theater experience. For those with front projection systems in particular (or just very, very large displays), these additional speakers can really help increase the realism and immersion during movies. Of course you'll want state of the art room correction to go along with this and the AV7005 provides not only Audyssey MultEQ XT but also the Pro option. This gives the user the ability to correct for room deficiencies while providing the trained professional the tools to fine-tune the system to provide the best possible performance.

These days just about everything is networked (or can be). The AV7005 is fully DNLA 1.5 compliant which will make connecting the processor to your home network nearly effortless. While connected to the network you can not only stream content from your PC but also access Internet radio and Pandora, Flickr, Rhapsody, and Napster. As you'd expect with a Pre/Pro, the AV7005 caters to a number of different types of clients. For the installer there is Control4 certification and HDMI CEC support. For the audiophile collector, there is a phono input. For the radio lover there is an HD radio tuner. For those that like to be on the cutting edge, there is an app that will control your shiny new Pre/Pro. There is onboard scaling provided by Anchor Bay (10-bit) up to 1080p and even HDMI to HDMI scaling. On the front panel there is a USB port for a digital connection for your iPod or iPhone or you can just plug in a USB key with music or photos.

One thing that users will love is that the AV7005 has XLR outputs for a balanced connection to your amplifiers/subs. What they will really love, however, is the price. While we're used to seeing a Pre/Pro based off a receiver actually cost more than the parent, in this case Marantz has bucked the trend. While the SR7005 clocks in at $1599 MSRP, the AV7005 will command $1499. While we're sure there is more than $100 of amps in the SR7005 and the XLR terminals don't really make up the difference, the price break is welcome and unusual. At $1500, the Marantz AV7005 is a very attractive alternative to some of the other high-priced but feature-light offerings on the market.

One can't write an article about Marantz without mentioning their styling. When they started shipping their gold reference series a while back, we were enamored. Their "porthole" design and clean face put all other mass market offerings to shame and even stands head and shoulders over many of the esoteric offerings. While the new AV7005 Pre/Pro won't sport the gold color of the reference line, it is a more mundane but no less sexy black, it will share it's porthole design and clean face. The porthole offers a limited LCD display (which you probably won't really need to use as the GUI overlays HDMI) and all of the controls (aside from the two knobs for volume and input selection) are hidden behind a plate. If you really need a larger display, there is one hidden behind the plate as well. We think this is a clean and elegant solution to maintaining aesthetic integrity and functionality.
Conclusion

The hardest part for interested consumers will be the wait. The Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro won't be available until October. But at $1500 for a Pre/Pro with just about every feature on the planet, it's a wait we're betting a lot of people will be willing to suffer through. All the latest decoding, top of the line processing and room correction, dual subwoofer outputs, GUI overlay, HDMI to HDMI scaling... the list goes on. These are the types of features you had to pay multiple thousands of dollars for in a receiver much less a Pre/Pro (not to mention that there were none out there with the latest features) just a few years ago. You can easily mate this will a budget amp for just over $2000. But with Marantz announcing matching two and five channel amps, you may want to save up your pennies. When your Preamp looks as good as the Marantz AV7005, you don't want your other gear to get an inferiority complex.
More info to come as we approach the release of what should be another fine Marantz product!

Added 09/08/10:

First front and rear-panel and remote pics from the Marantz AV7005 Product Page, and also the manual has been posted.

Marantz AV7005 Manual & Downloads

Last edited by red_5ive; 10-21-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added supported audio formats and updated dead link for user manual.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

This post will be updated as input/reviews are added in this thread. I will link directly to the posts from this post (with your permission if you post any input, I'll PM you ). Check back here for new links! Thanks also to phansson for providing the first input!

10-28-2010: phansson - likes/dislikes

11-07-2010: red_5ive - initial impressions

04-01-2011: User Reviews

Last edited by red_5ive; 04-02-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Special Member

May 2010
Corning, NY

I just saw this on Audioholics myself. I am very intruiged by this and can't wait to check it out.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Has it been officially announced yet?

Justin
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Just curious, how does this unit compare to the AV8003?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Special Member

May 2010
Corning, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post

Justin
Yes it is supposed to be available in October.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:

Justin
I called Marantz about 2 or 3 weeks ago to see if I can get any specs. The person I spoke with said those were yet to be published, but he did at least confirm that the October release was accurate. Audioholics also has the same release information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Just curious, how does this unit compare to the AV8003?
From what I've read and as specified in Highdefdigest, Home Theater Review, and What Hi-Fi, the SR7005 AVR will be the flagship receiver for the upcoming line. If this is correct, it would seem the 7000 series will be the new flagship line. This is just speculation on my part, although my local hi-fi shop is under the impression that the AV7005 is the replacement for the 8003.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick88 View Post
Yes it is supposed to be available in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I called Marantz about 2 or 3 weeks ago to see if I can get any specs. The person I spoke with said those were yet to be published, but he did at least confirm that the October release was accurate. Audioholics also has the same release information.
Thanks. Does anyone have pictures of the back panel of the AV7005? A search on Google turned up nothing.

Justin
Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Special Member

May 2010
Corning, NY

Quote:
Thanks. Does anyone have pictures of the back panel of the AV7005? A search on Google turned up nothing.

Justin
I know was looking for more pics myself.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

I haven't seen any rear panel photos. The only other pic I saw was one of the front door opened, but for the life of me I can't find it.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Thanks for the heads up. A prepro is in my next year upgrade plans. I've been watching the AV8003s on ebay. The lowest I've seen is about $1600 for a refurbished one. I also like the Emotiva matching blue circle.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

SR7005_U1B-Rear_96dpi_w1200.jpg

It will probably look very similar to the SR7005 minus the speaker terminals.

Last edited by SammyG; 08-05-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

SR7005_U1B_Front_Open_96dpi_w1200.jpg
Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

Here's the matching amp

post-2-1276794089_thumb.jpg
Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

SammyG... yeah, I read the SR7005 will have the same face, and I agree the rear will probably be similar minus the speaker terminals and the addition of XLRs. I have those same pics of the SR7005 and matching amp and was about to post them, but thanks for taking a moment to do it!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
Thanks for the heads up. A prepro is in my next year upgrade plans. I've been watching the AV8003s on ebay. The lowest I've seen is about $1600 for a refurbished one. I also like the Emotiva matching blue circle.
One of the reasons it's at the top of my list! Though not necessarily a deal breaker. I've never really cared for how the green from my Onkyo 886 looks with the Emo blue.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
I've seen a couple go for just under $1500. I would expect prices to come down ever so slightly once the 7005 ships. I'd like to see some comparisons of the two units, since the 700x is a lower line.

Justin
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG View Post
[Show spoiler]Attachment 21541

It will probably look very similar to the SR7005 minus the speaker terminals.
More than likely it will be very similar to the SR7005 (switching the speaker terminals for XLR outputs of course). I was just wondering if any pictures of the AV7005's actual back panel had been shown yet.

Justin
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Quote:
I've seen a couple go for just under $1500. I would expect prices to come down ever so slightly once the 7005 ships. I'd like to see some comparisons of the two units, since the 700x is a lower line.

Justin
Good point. I too would like to see a head to head comparison review.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Good point. I too would like to see a head to head comparison review.
I personally think the AV8003 will have slightly better build quality, while the AV7005 will have more features. It'll depend what you want it for though. For example, the 7005 won't decode a DSD stream directly to analog (it will first convert it to PCM), while the 8003 does. However, the 8003 doesn't have enough processing power to apply Audyssey when bitstreaming HD codecs.

I think both will have great SQ and be solid units, but each has its on pros and cons.

Justin
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems