Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
23 hrs ago
Bourne: The Ultimate Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
17 hrs ago
Candyman 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
21 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
1 day ago
Old 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
1 hr ago
The Shawshank Redemption 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
3 hrs ago
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
14 hrs ago
Zack Snyder's Justice League 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
18 hrs ago
No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Copshop (Blu-ray)
$7.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT
Default Onkyo Announces Flagship PR-SC5508 Preamp/Processor

Quote:
Onkyo’s new PR-SC5508 A/V preamplifier/processor is a THX-Ultra 2 Plus certified, network-capable, 9.2-channel audio-video controller. Networking features of the PR-SC5508 include DLNA 1.5 and Windows 7 compatible connection to PC audio and internet radio. The system comes configured for Sirius, Slacker, Pandora, Rhapsody, Mediafly, Napster, and VTuner Internet Radio. The PR-SC5508 is a THX-Ultra 2 Plus certified system offering surround sound, height channels, setup calibration, and state of the art processing from Dolby, THX, DTS, and Audyssey, including their new MultEQ XT 32. The PR-SC5508 connectivity options include: 8 HDMI inputs, dual USB’s, two balanced line-level XLR audio inputs, and nine XLR preamp outputs to drive the matching PA-MC5500 nine-channel power amplifier.

The PR-SC5508 Receiver, as well as the PA-MC5500 amplifier and the BD-SP808 Blu-ray disc player, will begin shipping to dealers in September. The PR-SC5508 carries a suggested retail price of $2,199, the PA-MC550 is $1,699, and the BD-SP808 has a suggest retail price of $599.
http://satelliteradioplayground.com/...ater-receiver/

First the Marantz AV7005 and now this from Onkyo. I'm liking the trend.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

Wow! I've got to pay for my speakers first, but I'm thinking a dedicated pre/pro might be in the cards. I really like the Marantz offering coming out, but this is really nice as well. Balanced outputs, 8 HDMI ins, dual HDMI outs, 9.2 capable, it's a really nice unit. Thanks for the news.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Hey Zman I'm not familiar with Focal speakers but they sure look nice! Congrats dude.

These two new pre/pros have piqued my interest. Can't wait for them to be released and see real-world reviews.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

just a little while ago, i put references to this up in my 5507 thread to ask the people what they think of the "3D" enabled version of the 5507 that is now, officially the 5508.

with the exception of 3D and a couple of other features, it's essentially the same box (for the most part) I am hopeful that some of the folks who held off on the 5507 because they wanted 3D might want to "take the plunge) on the 5508. also, in my thread, i asked how many of us 5507 owners might want to upgrade to the 5508.

i am currently very, very happy with my 5507 and don't intend to upgrade but that's me and i do want to know what others want and what they have to say, good or bad (keeping it respectful as always) so either here or in my thread please post what you think about this new soon to be released flagship of the onkyo fleet.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/pre-pro-am...ml#post3687409
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
Power Member

Nov 2007
Shillington,PA

I'm really interested in the pre-amp but I wish all Onkyo AVRs didn't all look the same. What are you supposed to use if your speakers don't have XLR connectors?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge1976 View Post
I'm really interested in the pre-amp but I wish all Onkyo AVRs didn't all look the same. What are you supposed to use if your speakers don't have XLR connectors?
Hey Sarge I agree with you re the look of Onkyo products. For this particular pre/pro I wish it had less buttons on the front. They could've placed those buttons behind the door in the lower part for an even cleaner look. About the XLR connectors, you need XLR cables connected from this unit to your Emo amps.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Power Member

Nov 2007
Shillington,PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Hey Sarge I agree with you re the look of Onkyo products. For this particular pre/pro I wish it had less buttons on the front. They could've placed those buttons behind the door in the lower part for an even cleaner look. About the XLR connectors, you need XLR cables connected from this unit to your Emo amps.
AH, now I see Thanks. Yes, I agree with your suggestions.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
AH, now I see Thanks. Yes, I agree with your suggestions.
Just to clarify a little more, this is a pre-pro, so these connections cannot go directly to any speaker, short of your sub, which would be powered of course.

I imagine in the mass of connectors there is also a section for standard composite connectors if your amp or sub does not have XLR's on it.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

I am so considering this right now. Not because of the 3D, but because my Denon died.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
Power Member

Nov 2007
Shillington,PA

I think I may hold out until the new Marantz Pre/Pro comes out in Oct but this is coming in a close second on my list This unit looks just like my 805
Old 09-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
I think I may hold out until the new Marantz Pre/Pro comes out in Oct but this is coming in a close second on my list This unit looks just like my 805
The Marantz doesn't impress me.

This will be hidden inside a cabinet, so looks are not that important to me.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Special Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

just so people know units are being delayed till end of sept. This was posted over at avs:
"Onkyos implementation of the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 seems to have a significant bug in the current firmware for the 3008, 5008 and 5508, as reported elsewhere already.
The problem seems to be related to Onkyo not Audyssey as far as it is known..."
so far no new info.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Bron-Yr-Aur
Default Well equipped...

Balanced outs...2 channel balanced in...two sub outs...likely DSD decoding via HDMI. Me likey mucho.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

So, I was in my local BB/Mag store yesterday and I see all these Onkyo units on a clearance table. I asked them why and I also asked if they would be carrying the new Onkyo Pro 5508. They guy responds in all seriousness that they will not be carrying Onkyo anymore because anyone can sell them. They are not elite enough for them.

WHAT!!!!!

He then continued and said that the Pioneer Elite series would be the BEST device I would need for my room. I told him that I did not need a receiver and that I had dedicated amplification so it would be a waste for me to buy a receiver with amplifiers.

At this point he was utterly confused. He asked me how I was going to connect the speakers with out a receiver. I said a dedicated Pre-amplifier/Processor connected to an external amplifier would handle things nicely. He then said the Pioneer Elite SC-35 (???) had the best processor on the market and that I should really consider it. I asked if the Pioneer had XLR outputs. He said he didn't know, but it output the new DTS and Dolby HD audio.

I politely thanked him for his time and left. It was a no win situation.

I know that there are good MAG employees because I have talked to a couple, but this guy def. was not one of them.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
Special Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
So, I was in my local BB/Mag store yesterday and I see all these Onkyo units on a clearance table. I asked them why and I also asked if they would be carrying the new Onkyo Pro 5508. They guy responds in all seriousness that they will not be carrying Onkyo anymore because anyone can sell them. They are not elite enough for them.

WHAT!!!!!

He then continued and said that the Pioneer Elite series would be the BEST device I would need for my room. I told him that I did not need a receiver and that I had dedicated amplification so it would be a waste for me to buy a receiver with amplifiers.

At this point he was utterly confused. He asked me how I was going to connect the speakers with out a receiver. I said a dedicated Pre-amplifier/Processor connected to an external amplifier would handle things nicely. He then said the Pioneer Elite SC-35 (???) had the best processor on the market and that I should really consider it. I asked if the Pioneer had XLR outputs. He said he didn't know, but it output the new DTS and Dolby HD audio.

I politely thanked him for his time and left. It was a no win situation.

I know that there are good MAG employees because I have talked to a couple, but this guy def. was not one of them.
That's pretty funny and a bit sad. I have two nephews who work for BB and they say that's pretty common with employees who think they are "experts". They gave me a good laugh when they showed up at a recent family function and both were wearing Monster Cable t-shirts and said they grabbed them as quick as they could while attending a product seminar (they were being given away free; wish they could have scored one for me) because they know how BB's spiel goes with pushing the cables on unsuspecting customers, something they would never do since they know better since they have been using Uncle Eddie's dedicated HT for over 10 years and have picked up a bit of knowledge hear and there (though I am by no means an expert). Funny also because they know I recently upgraded to the 5507 and because of that they have been recommending the Onkyo products to customers who asked for guidance since they have seen and heard mine. Your quote about them discontinuing the line is puzzling since I just read a few months ago that their Magnolia stores were going to start carrying the high end Onkyo products, starting with the 5507.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcchifi View Post
Balanced outs...2 channel balanced in...two sub outs...likely DSD decoding via HDMI. Me likey mucho.
I have the 5507 and Yes, Onkyo continues to support SACD with DSD via HDMI support in almost all of their receivers and all of their pre-amps, like the 5507 & 5508!

I do use my balanced out and my 2 channel balanced in as well as DSD via HDMI. I love the sound i get from my SACD's & DVD-A music.

best of luck to ya, keep us posted should you decide to move forward with the 5508.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #17
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

From what I gathered so far the PR-SC5508P cannot do 11.2, only 9.2-channel!

* The newer Denon AVR-4311CI A/V receiver can do 11.2-channel.
And it has also Audyssey MultEQ XT32, plus Audyssey Sub EQ HT multiple subwoofer calibration, with dual sub pre-outs.
Also with Audyssey DSX, Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume.
It has Dolby Volume & Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
It is rated at 140 watts x 9 channels. Power consumption is rated at 780 W.
Anchor Bay VRS ABT-2010 VP chip is on board ,with dual HDMI outputs.

And you can disable the internal amps (Preamp mode) when using it as a straight pre/pro, with even different configurations, like part amp part pre/pro and different zones. List is $1,999 but street will be lower of course.
Denon is BACK!

-> I also like the HDCD decoder in several Denon models (including the 4311), which Onkyo/Integra doesn't include in their products.
And the 4311 is HUGE on streaming (downstreaming or upstreaming?) audio from various places on the internet.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 09-15-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: ->
Old 10-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #18

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
Just to clarify a little more, this is a pre-pro, so these connections cannot go directly to any speaker, short of your sub, which would be powered of course.

I imagine in the mass of connectors there is also a section for standard composite connectors if your amp or sub does not have XLR's on it.
c

Actually.....the XLR connections from my PR-SC5508 *do* go directly to my speakers, so that might be a bit of an incorrect statement. I'm running Adam Audio S3X's, and there are a number of other speakers that are similar in that you run an input cable, usualy xlr or trs, to the speaker.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobyhughey View Post
c

Actually.....the XLR connections from my PR-SC5508 *do* go directly to my speakers, so that might be a bit of an incorrect statement. I'm running Adam Audio S3X's, and there are a number of other speakers that are similar in that you run an input cable, usualy xlr or trs, to the speaker.
Those are the exception and not the rule in normal consumer HT, though.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
The balanced connectors are for connecting to the amps. If you look at the back of the Pre/Pro it also has single ended RCA connectors for connecting to your amps.

By the way, I am still using my modified first generation Onkyo Pre/Pro the 885 and I still like it (but I don't need the latest and greatest features including 3D and the height for additional speakers). In fact it will be going in for additional modification for still better performance shortly.

Rich
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems