Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
1 day ago
Doctor Who: William Hartnell - Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$49.69

GATE: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
15 hrs ago
Fear the Walking Dead: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$31.49

Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor (Blu-ray)
$17.49

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Record of Ragnarok: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
14 hrs ago
Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$49.99

House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
21 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Five, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$35.38
21 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #1881
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
[Show spoiler]Because switching Amy isn't doing anything to the story but adding some more mystery and suspense to it. Switching the Doctor with a ganger is cheap becuase it's just a simple way out of him dieing and the writers dealing with it.
Except...

It's been done before... last series even!

[Show spoiler]Rory was replaced by an Auton Rory... as part of a trap for the Doctor.

Now we have Amy replaced by a ganger Amy... as part of a trap for the Doctor.

I'm sorry, but while I do enjoy the show... I can't argue that there is a lot of innovation going on.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #1882
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
Except...

[Show spoiler]Rory was replaced by an Auton Rory... as part of a trap for the Doctor.

I'm sorry, but while I do enjoy the show... I can't argue that there is a lot of innovation going on.
We don't know it's a trap for the Doctor though. Amy has always been special and this could be the reason why and could have nothing to do with the Doctor even besides him meddling in it of course but it may not even be a trap for him but something else involving him and Amy in some special way.

Last edited by detective392; 05-30-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #1883
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California

Quote:
Except...

Quote:
We don't know it's a trap for the Doctor though. Amy has always been special and this could be the reason why and could have nothing to do with the Doctor even besides him meddling in it of course but it may not even be a trap for him but something else involving him and Amy in some special way.
No where has it said this has been a trap for the Doctor. In fact, that's the farthest from the truth I bet. Many of us have said from the beginning there is something different about Amy. The Doctor has said it too. I still think she may not have a happy ending, and this plays into it. In no way is this rehashing last seasons story.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1884
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

This the disadvantage of watching it while it's broadcast, instead of watching it on DVD, you have to wait a week for the next episode .

I don't think it's a cheat at all, since it's been hinted at several times during every episode. That didn't make the reveal less shocking, however. I want to see how it resolves .

Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #1885
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Burbank, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
This the disadvantage of watching it while it's broadcast, instead of watching it on DVD, you have to wait a week for the next episode .

I don't think it's a cheat at all, since it's been hinted at several times during every episode. That didn't make the reveal less shocking, however. I want to see how it resolves .
Agreed. This was hinted at that something has been off about Amy since the beginning of the series. I don't see this how it would be out of left field at all...

Old 05-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #1886
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walts Ghost View Post
Agreed. This was hinted at that something has been off about Amy since the beginning of the series. I don't see this how it would be out of left field at all...
Yeah something was hinted at that Amy was weird/different this season and didn't come out of no where. Her being a
[Show spoiler]ganger might have been a huge surprise for some as it was for me but the her being special/different part didn't come out of no where.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #1887
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
United Kingdom

Quote:
The Daleks To Be Given a Rest

The Daleks are to be given "a rest" from battling Doctor Who, writer Steven Moffat has told the Radio Times.

Moffat, who is also the BBC television show's executive producer, said: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."

The Daleks were voted the scariest villains in the history of Doctor Who in a poll of fans in 2007.

Moffat said they had been defeated by the Doctor "about 400 times".

Created by Terry Nation, the Daleks are the Doctor's hugely popular enemies who have made regular appearances in the long-running science fiction show since first appearing in 1963.

Moffat said: "There's a problem with the Daleks. They are the most famous of the Doctor's adversaries and the most frequent, which means they are the most reliably defeatable enemies in the universe."

Recent episodes of the show, which stars Matt Smith as the timelord, have been criticised for being "too scary for children".

But Moffat said: "It is horror, but horror for children. It's scary in the way that a fairy story can be scary."
Source

Some won't like it, but I'm glad with the Moff's decision.

They appeard far too much during RTD's era and lost their fear factor because of that. So putting them on hold for a while will mean they can have a big comeback next time they appear.

This does obviously mean though that they won't appear in any of the remaining episodes this year, so they can be ruled out for appearing again.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #1888
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

How is the new Doctor Who? I'm a huge fan of the Tom Baker era. I have all the episodes of his. The new doctors look like younger, more attractive guys.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #1889
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Source

They appeard far too much during RTD's era and lost their fear factor because of that. So putting them on hold for a while will mean they can have a big comeback next time they appear.

This does obviously mean though that they won't appear in any of the remaining episodes this year, so they can be ruled out for appearing again.
Happy they are giving the Daleks a rest and can't wait for them to return after they get the long break they are needed a RTD just ran them to the ground. Will be interesting to see if the color Daleks return or not.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #1890
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKurtovich View Post
How is the new Doctor Who? I'm a huge fan of the Tom Baker era. I have all the episodes of his. The new doctors look like younger, more attractive guys.
The new episodes are fantastic, full of great storylines with twists and turns aplenty, chock full of hardcore sci-fi themes and recently the episodes have gotten a hell of a lot scarier.

Matt Smith is a great doctor, very emotion ranged, always seems like he looking at the bigger picture and trying to put all the pieces together to save the day. Has a lot of energy yet doesn't shove it in your face like Tennant did.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #1891
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

How long is "a while"?

The Daleks were used a bunch on the old series... but then there was a nearly 20 year gap while the show was on "hiatus"...

I don't feel like we need to see them every season.. but is skipping one season "a while"?

We last saw them early last series.. and apparently will not see them this series. That's fine with me.

But, to me, making the "a while" announcement implies strongly that we won't see them next year at a minimum. IF we saw Daleks next series, then I wouldn't consider that a proper "while"...

Also... IF we replace Daleks with Cybermen... and have Cybermen each series... won't that just create the same problem with Cybermen being overused?

We had Cybermen last series... and might have them this series... they will fast be just as overused in the new Doctor Who as the Daleks.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #1892

Feb 2010

Quote:
How long is "a while"?

The Daleks were used a bunch on the old series... but then there was a nearly 20 year gap while the show was on "hiatus"...

I don't feel like we need to see them every season.. but is skipping one season "a while"?

We last saw them early last series.. and apparently will not see them this series. That's fine with me.

But, to me, making the "a while" announcement implies strongly that we won't see them next year at a minimum. IF we saw Daleks next series, then I wouldn't consider that a proper "while"...

Also... IF we replace Daleks with Cybermen... and have Cybermen each series... won't that just create the same problem with Cybermen being overused?

We had Cybermen last series... and might have them this series... they will fast be just as overused in the new Doctor Who as the Daleks.
But the Cybermen have that less than indestructible, Nemesis of the Doctor type feel, they can be blown up every week and more will keep coming its the way they are.

With the Darleks its different as now they have made it so there's only a few left and there now super-duper and if they keep being used they lose there fear factor eventually.

i think they should use other aliens or bring in new ones and use the classic ones for the 'big' stories

Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #1893
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
How long is "a while"?

We had a little bit of Cybermen last year (A head and an arm to be exact), and they are confirmed for Saturdays episode.

I think the Daleks will be back next year at least, which is a sutable break, it would of been about 2 years since we last saw them. Maybe we'll have to wait longer, although it will be 3 years at the most.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #1894
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

I'm also guessing we will be seeing them next series also but maybe more towards the end. If they split next series into 2 parts we won't be seeing series 7 part 2 till Fall 2012 and that seems like a long enough break as last we saw them as a main enemy was episode 3 of last series which was last year so 2010 to 2012 seems like a good break.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #1895
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

'Torchwood' star: 'Jack has full-on boy-scene'

Quote:
John Barrowman has confirmed that Captain Jack will remain bisexual in the new season of Torchwood.

Torchwood: Miracle Day is being co-produced by the BBC and American network Starz and some fans had been concerned that Jack's sexuality would be ignored in the episodes.

However, Barrowman told Entertainment Weekly that viewers do not have to worry.

"I knew they would be true to the show and not change drastically," he said. "If it was watered down, I wouldn't have done it. For those people who are our staunch fans, it's going to have the heart and soul of Torchwood which we've always had, plus the energy and excitement of a show that's bigger and better."

Barrowman added: "[Jack] gets to have full-on boy-sex a couple of times. On those days going to work I'd wake up and Scott my partner would say, 'What are you filming today?' And I'd say, 'Oh, it's going to be a tough day, I get to have sex with a 24-year-old'."

Meanwhile, the show's executive producer Russell T. Davies suggested that American television is more progressive than UK shows.

"The portrayal of gay, bisexual and lesbian characters is currently way ahead of Britain," he said. "The kids on Glee, the beauty and detail of that couple on Modern Family. We've got nothing like that. Even a nice Republican sitcom like $#*! My Dad Says, a show I quite liked, was stacked with intelligent gay-friendly stories, and that's in a corner you'd never expect to find them. Of course, it's all the gay men and women sitting on writing teams pushing their stories forward, which I think is wonderful."

Torchwood: Miracle Day will air on BBC One in the UK and on Starz in the US.
Happy they aren't changing Jack at all. One thing is I always thought the opposite and think the UK does gay characters better and the US just makes all of them seem like whiny girls who can't get dirty while the UK made them seem like everyone else and just normal.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s8/torc...n-boy-sex.html

Last edited by detective392; 05-31-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #1896
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Source

I really don't mind. They're absolutely cool, and the best of the Doctor's enemies (in my opinion) but having them appear too often will make them seem ordinary, if that makes any sense. And of course, when they eventually will appear again, it feels to be more special.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #1897
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Happy they aren't changing Jack at all. One thing is I always thought the opposite and think the UK does gay characters better and the US just makes all of them seem like whiny girls who can't get dirty while the UK made them seem like everyone else and just normal.
Glad they aren't changing Jack... but I admit, I kind of wish they would keep the toned-down sex from the third series as the norm.

Sex scenes (be they heterosexual or homosexual) make it difficult for me to recommend Torchwood to all the Doctor Who fans I know.. since it forces a skew to an older and less prudish audience.

As a younger kid, for example, I watched Doctor Who (particularly Tom Baker era) with my mother and we both enjoyed it... My mother passed away a few years ago, but I couldn't imagine watching Torchwood with her.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #1898
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Glad they aren't changing Jack... but I admit, I kind of wish they would keep the toned-down sex from the third series as the norm.

Sex scenes (be they heterosexual or homosexual) make it difficult for me to recommend Torchwood to all the Doctor Who fans I know.. since it forces a skew to an older and less prudish audience.

As a younger kid, for example, I watched Doctor Who (particularly Tom Baker era) with my mother and we both enjoyed it... My mother passed away a few years ago, but I couldn't imagine watching Torchwood with her.
I also watch Doctor Who with my Mom sometimes and same with Torchwood and it's a little weird but not majorly. I do think the Jack scenes are strange to watch with her though as it's not everyday you are watching two guys make out on TV with your Mom. Miracle Day may be very weird if we do get the full on nudity of Jack and another man.

One thing we got to remember though is that while they are in the same universe Tochwood was always meant for an older audience and I am happy we do get some adult relations and stories from Torchwood and it isn't always toned down for children.

Last edited by detective392; 06-01-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #1899
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
I also watch Doctor Who with my Mom sometimes and same with Torchwood and it's a little weird but not majorly. I do think the Jack scenes are strange to watch with her though as it's not everyday you are watching two guys make out on TV with your Mom. Miracle Day may be very weird if we do get the full on nudity of Jack and another man.

One thing we got to remember though is that while they are in the same universe Tochwood was always meant for an older audience and I am happy we do get some adult relations and stories from Torchwood and it isn't always toned down for children.
Yeah, that's why I'm of two minds... I don't get offended by watching it... but one of the great things about Doctor Who and Star Trek was that while they did have romantic interests in stories sometimes... it wasn't like a lot of other shows that you couldn't let your kids watch OR feel weird watching in mixed company.

So I enjoy Torchwood... but it's hard for me to recommend it to most people that I think *might* like it when I stop to think about the scenes they might not want to see.

Jack flirting with everyone on Doctor Who is completely different than having full-on sex/nudity on Torchwood. I also know some people, unfortunately, who would especially be turned off by gay sex scenes... but that's a whole different argument about what they find acceptable.

For me, personally... there are times when I like my sci-fi to be romance free. It depends on my mood at the time... but while I own and watch a lot of movies and TV shows that have nudity and sex... I kind of like having some shows/movies that don't depend on that to attract viewers.

On the whole, there wasn't a lot of it in Torchwood 1 or 2... and 3 almost eliminated explicit stuff entirely as they were trying to reach out to the wider Doctor Who audience a bit by cutting that and the profanity back a bit.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #1900
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I'm of two minds... I don't get offended by watching it... but one of the great things about Doctor Who and Star Trek was that while they did have romantic interests in stories sometimes... it wasn't like a lot of other shows that you couldn't let your kids watch OR feel weird watching in mixed company.

So I enjoy Torchwood... but it's hard for me to recommend it to most people that I think *might* like it when I stop to think about the scenes they might not want to see.

Jack flirting with everyone on Doctor Who is completely different than having full-on sex/nudity on Torchwood. I also know some people, unfortunately, who would especially be turned off by gay sex scenes... but that's a whole different argument about what they find acceptable.

For me, personally... there are times when I like my sci-fi to be romance free. It depends on my mood at the time... but while I own and watch a lot of movies and TV shows that have nudity and sex... I kind of like having some shows/movies that don't depend on that to attract viewers.

On the whole, there wasn't a lot of it in Torchwood 1 or 2... and 3 almost eliminated explicit stuff entirely as they were trying to reach out to the wider Doctor Who audience a bit by cutting that and the profanity back a bit.
Yeah out of all the Torchwood episodes I had my Mom skip the 2nd episode as I'm not going to watch an alien kill by having men attain orgasms with her. It's just way to weird for me.

I also know people that won't watch it as it does show guy's kissing but like you said that's another issue all together.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows