Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
£12.99
23 hrs ago
Justice League (Blu-ray)
£7.49
18 hrs ago
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£17.99

Loveless (Blu-ray)
£7.49

The Mind of Mr Soames (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Halloween (Blu-ray)
£7.00

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Finding Your Feet (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Red Sparrow (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Alien 1-6 Boxset (Blu-ray)
£15.77

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK
United Kingdom High Hopes (Mike Leigh) February 2011

What a treat. Hopefully!

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...s/Product.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004IZ3VLS/

# Mike Leigh On High Hopes (4 mins)
# On Set News Footage (4 mins)
# Original Production Notes
# Original Biographies
# Stills Gallery
# Poster Gallery

Looks like the Blu-ray is a copy of the SE DVD. Oddly there seems to be 2 parallel DVDs of this in the UK. Review of the Fabulous Films release here

Lovely British film.

http://www.fabulousfilms.co.uk
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Excellent to finally get some Mike Leigh on Blu-ray.

I hope we could see Naked at some point.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Dropped to 8.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004IZ3VLS/
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #4

Dec 2009

Would love to know if this is region free.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinoeye View Post
Would love to know if this is region free.
It's had a delay I think until the end of the month but as soon as it arrives I'll check the playback on my US player.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM   #6

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
It's had a delay I think until the end of the month but as soon as it arrives I'll check the playback on my US player.
Fantastic! I'll keep my eyes on this forum. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Arrived!

Scan of the cover

Looks to be locked Region B. Only loads to a black screen. That's usually a sign of a crap disc producer as they've not managed to figure out the technology and load the appropriate "WRONG REGION F*** OFF" message. I think if it contained PAL (it may well do too) then you usually get a warning before the errr.. warning.

Anyways, gave the disc a spin and it looks utter shit. DVD quality. I'd usually hold fire with such an opinion but it's bad enough for me to say that on first look. We've seen what can be done with material like this from Criterion with Leigh's Naked so no reason here apart from laziness, ignorance and a complete lack of respect for their licensed property.

2nd worse transfer I've seen behind the Australia release of Pulp Fiction.

Saying all that, let's not be too rash, I'll pencil it in to watch it

Maybe someone else can comment on their first impressions.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Looks to be locked Region B. Only loads to a black screen. That's usually a sign of a crap disc producer as they've not managed to figure out the technology and load the appropriate "WRONG REGION F*** OFF" message. I think if it contained PAL (it may well do too) then you usually get a warning before the errr.. warning.

Anyways, gave the disc a spin and it looks utter shit. DVD quality. I'd usually hold fire with such an opinion but it's bad enough for me to say that on first look. We've seen what can be done with material like this from Criterion with Leigh's Naked so no reason here apart from laziness, ignorance and a complete lack of respect for their licensed property.

I noticed it's been released by some outfit named "Fabulous Films". Well, the films may be fabulous, but they sound like one to avoid.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #9

Dec 2009

Quote:
Arrived!

Scan of the cover

Too bad. I saw this film a long time ago and I remember it being one of my favorite of his films. I could imagine wear and tear to the print over time but it the PQ sounds really unfortunate.

According to imdb, the film was shot 1:85 and according to the back of your scan, the blu ray has a 4X3 aspect ratio which showcases the real lack of effort put into this disc.

I don't own a multiregion player yet. If I get one, I might not bother with this release at all. I suppose I had High Hopes for this release that weren't met.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

The 4:3 quote is just laziness as the film is framed for 16:9 (doesn't mean that's right but it looks as it's always done in 'widescreen' to me). The format was odd at the cinema IIRC.

The transfer is shit for sure but it's still an upgrade (just) to the DVD.

I think Freemantle own this film or license it off someone and then on to Fabulous Films. Not sure if Freemantle own that company.

It's just -literally- a bad transfer (nothing to do with age) due to technical problems (worst artefacts I've seen apart from Tremors of course) and I also consider the disc badly 'mastered'. I use that in the loose sense because nobody involved with this disc's production is a master of anything except crapness.

I was putting up some new shelves over the last few days and it amazes me what will not ever get it to Blu-ray. It's never going to happen and if it did it would essentially be upscaled with a few flashing lights on your AV amp to say it's 'better'. We can only accept (or be happy with the DVD) these odd bad releases so I'll try and smooth my opinion a bit but there's no getting away from it, this release does not benefit from the Blu-ray disc format.

I paid 8.99 for it. That's more than enough.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #11

Aug 2010
A Bridge Too Far

1080i
Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by peptalk View Post
1080i
Yeah, it's safe to say we have a DVD on a Blu-ray.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

a review on amazon.uk says it is essentially a dvd on a blu-ray.
sounds like we have another "The 39 Steps" debacle.
what a shame.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
UK

I've not seen The 39 Steps alas but the debacle of this transfer shouldn't put everyone off as it's still -albeit not literally- an upgrade to the DVD. I realise it's poor but it's better than nothing. The special features are interesting and the version you order is that version -the DVD releases had some barcode/UPC errors and people got the version with no special features IIRC.

Not an attitude I take lightly but I think this is only one of a very small handful of Blu-rays I've bought that are not worthy of the format. I struggle to think of any others -there's a few Australian 1080i releases which are pretty good too.

At least the distributor will make very little from this release. That's the best we can hope for.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #15

Dec 2009

This is very disappointing.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

The 39 Steps bd looks almost identical to the Criterion dvd upscaled, and the Criterion release may even look a tad sharper.
sounds like this release is similar.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

I'd be interested in seeing a side by side blu-ray to DVD comparison for this. I didn't get the impression from The Driver's comments that the situation was quite as bad as the 39 Steps thing.

I may still get it, because I want to get Blu-ray when I can and I can't imagine this ever getting another BD release anytime soon.

I'd like to see more Leigh, though. Secrets and Lies would be great, as would Another Year which bizzarely has no set BD release yet despite already being out on DVD. I can't think of another recent new release that has had no planned BD release at all. Topsy-Turvy is coming out on Criterion soon as well - has anyone else seen this film, what's it like?

EDIT: I see Another Year is now on Amazon.com as a blu-ray/DVD combo only. I hope that doesn't mean DVD packaging, with no other releases. Oh well, no release date yet, time will tell!

Last edited by nametag; 03-11-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #18

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nametag View Post
Topsy-Turvy is coming out on Criterion soon as well - has anyone else seen this film, what's it like?
On the face of it, an atypical Leigh project, but a beautiful examination of not only the relationship between Gilbert and Sullivan but also the world they live in. It's a fascinating, tragi-comic tale, wonderfully and lovingly filmed, acted and sung.

One of my favourite Mike Leigh films.
LG OLED65C7V; Oppo DV-983H; Oppo BDP-80 MR; Oppo UDP-203 MR; Virgin TiVo V6; Pioneer SC-LX59; Quad L Classic Centre; Mission 774s; Mission 77DSs; Yamaha YST-SW320;Tsunami TS300; Harmony One
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nametag View Post
I'd like to see more Leigh, though. Secrets and Lies would be great, as would Another Year which bizzarely has no set BD release yet despite already being out on DVD. I can't think of another recent new release that has had no planned BD release at all. Topsy-Turvy is coming out on Criterion soon as well - has anyone else seen this film, what's it like?
Topsy Turvy is an excellent film and Jim Broadbent is especially good as Gilbert. I'll be very happy to have this on Blu-ray.

The other Mike Leigh film I would really like to have on Blu is Vera Drake, his absorbing look at the issue of illegal abortions in 50's Britain.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #20

Apr 2010

One of the very worst looking BluRay's I've ever seen. It's downright blurry.
Avoid.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland