Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
14 hrs ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
16 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
The Barn (Blu-ray)
$18.47
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #61
Special Member

Feb 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaTate View Post
How is the Dumbo version from Mexico? Should I just wait for the US Version?
Disney blu-rays are distributed by Disney worldwide, so the US release will be no different than the foreign releases besides more up to date previews.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #62
Expert Member

May 2010
Boston, MA

Why is Dinosaur suddenly counted on the list? I feel like this whole time it was a separate movie and now all of a sudden it's considered part of the canon.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #63
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambaldi47 View Post
Why is Dinosaur suddenly counted on the list? I feel like this whole time it was a separate movie and now all of a sudden it's considered part of the canon.
And considering how so much of it is actually live-action backgrounds with CGI animation added, I'm not sure why Dinosaur is included but, say, Pete's Dragon isn't.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #64
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guavamanh View Post
I need some help... what is that noise/instrument in Fantasia 2000, Pines of Rome in the beginning of the song when the whales come out of the water and then it goes underwater with bubbles (~6 minutes into the BR Disc)? It comes again at briefly throughout the song. Sounds like a snare or a horn but it sounds really distorted making me thing something is wrong with my speakers... but I'm not having any trouble with any other BRD/DVD/CD, only this one song. It was bothering so much I switched to the DVD and hear the same sound. Kinda like a rattling as if the woofer was broken... but it sounds like it's coming from the tweeter when I get closer. Is this how it's supposed to sound? It's really bugging me if someone can clue me in I'd be really grateful. Thanks!
I think it's a tuba, or some form of a tuba.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #65
Special Member

Jul 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambaldi47 View Post
Back when Disney thought they would be a 3D powerhouse and compete against Pixar, they retroactively canonized that film. Dumb decision.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #66

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
I think it's a tuba, or some form of a tuba.
Thanks Ernest,

When you listen to the song, is the tuba also distorted? I've listened to it with my old and new system and both are distorted.. wondering if my system is not capable of playing it distortion free or if it's a distorted recording or if thats the way it's supposed to sound. Thanks for your help, my wife thinks I'm crazy!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Thanks Ernest,

When you listen to the song, is the tuba also distorted? I've listened to it with my old and new system and both are distorted.. wondering if my system is not capable of playing it distortion free or if it's a distorted recording or if thats the way it's supposed to sound. Thanks for your help, my wife thinks I'm crazy!
I played this for my g-kid the other day and wasn't playing real close attention, but from the way the sound is being described, my bet is that it's a didgeridoo, which is an Australian wind instrument frequently played by the Aborigines. I'll have to go back and listen again. The didgeridoo, when played correctly (I have one but can't play it correctly) can uncannily sound electronic, but also sounds very much like the sounds we associate with certain whale calls.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #68
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Thanks Ernest,

I only have one alternate recording of the full Pines of Rome, and the orchestration is a bit different (although I don't think Resphigi employed Australian instruments - the piece is about a parade of triumphant Roman soldiers)...have to give it another spin...will get back.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #69
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
I need some help... what is that noise/instrument in Fantasia 2000, Pines of Rome in the beginning of the song when the whales come out of the water and then it goes underwater with bubbles (~6 minutes into the BR Disc)? It comes again at briefly throughout the song. Sounds like a snare or a horn but it sounds really distorted making me thing something is wrong with my speakers... but I'm not having any trouble with any other BRD/DVD/CD, only this one song. It was bothering so much I switched to the DVD and hear the same sound. Kinda like a rattling as if the woofer was broken... but it sounds like it's coming from the tweeter when I get closer. Is this how it's supposed to sound? It's really bugging me if someone can clue me in I'd be really grateful. Thanks!
Hey, friend, I'm trying to nail down the moment you are referring to - can you be a bit more specific? Thanks -- listening to the Berlin Orchestra perform the score right now (freaking great, by the way), and the treatment of the low end is radically different from the Levine/CSO version. As for the instrumentation - no crazy Australian influences - really just sounds like various brass instruments - for the Blu-Ray, the brass notes at the moment you reference sound like a wall-shaking combination of tweeter-shattering glory, and a concrete-smashing low-end for multiple brass instruments (high and low) that I don't think has been captured before (because that low end is nowhere to be found on the Berlin recording)...going to have to stick with Tuba and digitial recording techniques, amigo, unless you can be more specific. But the F2K Levine/CSO version is like the HD version of the Berlin SO recording on I*Tunes. Then again, I'm a moron, so...

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 02-09-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
Back when Disney thought they would be a 3D powerhouse and compete against Pixar, they retroactively canonized that film. Dumb decision.
It makes more sense than what they did in the UK, where they skipped Dinosaur but canonized The Wild instead (made by an outside studio and a cheap ripoff of Madagascar).

Dinosaur was actually made by a short-lived unit within Walt Disney Feature Animation called The Secret Lab, and its characters were all CGI; thus it meets the most reasonable definition of the "Disney animation" canon. Dinosaur's live-action backgrounds are no different than the live-action dancers inserted into Saludos Amigos and/or The Three Caballeros; but they ARE different from primarily live-action films with a few animated characters and/or sequences thrown in (like Song of the South, Mary Poppins, or even Who Framed Roger Rabbit). But then, Disney has been mixing animation and live-action ever since the 1920's Alice Comedies.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #71
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
It makes more sense than what they did in the UK, where they skipped Dinosaur but canonized The Wild instead (made by an outside studio and a cheap ripoff of Madagascar).

Dinosaur was actually made by a short-lived unit within Walt Disney Feature Animation called The Secret Lab, and its characters were all CGI; thus it meets the most reasonable definition of the "Disney animation" canon. Dinosaur's live-action backgrounds are no different than the live-action dancers inserted into Saludos Amigos and/or The Three Caballeros; but they ARE different from primarily live-action films with a few animated characters and/or sequences thrown in (like Song of the South, Mary Poppins, or even Who Framed Roger Rabbit). But then, Disney has been mixing animation and live-action ever since the 1920's Alice Comedies.
I think they're making the #@%$ up as they go -- like all of us.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #72
Special Member

Jul 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
Oh, I agree. It makes more sense than "The Wild"; much more sense.

Burying your car in frogs makes more sense than trying to throw a watermelon into space. It's still dumb though.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #73
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Inserts from the Bambi Diamond Edition confirms both Fox and the Hound and Lady and the Tramp.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #74

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
Inserts from the Bambi Diamond Edition confirms both Fox and the Hound and Lady and the Tramp.
How did you get a Bambi Diamond Edition so early? Appreciate the information, going to get Fox and the Hound.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #75
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejeckt View Post
How did you get a Bambi Diamond Edition so early? Appreciate the information, going to get Fox and the Hound.
Import stores don't really care about street dates. They ship as soon as they get a title in stock
Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #76
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007

I love fox and the hound! Totally picking that one up!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #77
Special Member

Jul 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Fox and the Hound? I wouldn't have guessed that, but I'm thrilled. I wonder if the two-pack will be the only way to get the film.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #78

Jan 2011

Sweet, I love Fox & the Hound! I don't really need the sequel, but no biggie if it's included. I wonder which aspect ratio Disney will use for this one.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #79
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefinger View Post
Sweet, I love Fox & the Hound! I don't really need the sequel, but no biggie if it's included. I wonder which aspect ratio Disney will use for this one.
Well it'll be the original 1.33:1 for the first film. Disney have cropped any of their films to fit a 16:9 TV since 2007, and probably stopped doing it due to complaints, so they won't start again.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #80
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

The Fox and the Hound is one of my least favourites, and I'm debating whether I really need it, though will probably end up buying it anyway.

However annoying that there's still no word on Dumbo.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America